How long do you hold a grudge????

AnthonyF

I admit I have held some long grudges since 2000 concerning the Bills. The RJ/Flutie debacle that resulted in Homerun Throwback still bothers me to no end. RJ's first half against Tennessee was as bad a half of football as I have ever seen and his second half was only marginally better.

Then I had to listen to Greg Williams (GW) explain the most exhaustive review in sports history that resulted in the choice to keep RJ over Flutie and we saw how well that worked out.

Then there was 3 years of GW and bad coaching and decision making on the sideline explained away by him as to how much smarter he was then us and never made a mistake and really we were just uninformed fans.

On a lesser scale Drew Bledsoe and the heartache he provided always close but never really the answer.

So GW becomes the highest paid DC in the league and is heralded as really just an unfortunate victim in Buffalo and deserving a HC job. Oh how much I loved watching his defence crumble this year and he getting much (some) of the blame.

Then there was Bledsoe signing with Dallas and I worried he'd succeed and we'd be laughed at for our knee jerk reaction in choosing JP over DB.

So am I being petty when I say 2006 did not turn out too bad in those counts????

I admit I have held some long grudges since 2000 concerning the Bills. The RJ/Flutie debalcle that resulted in Homerun Throwback still bothers me to no end. RJ's first half against Tennessee was as bad a half of football as I have ever seen and his second half was only marginally better.

Then I had to listen to Greg Williams (GW) explain the most exhaustive review in sports history that resulted in the choice to keep RJ over Flutie and we saw how well that worked out.

Then there was 3 years of GW and bad coaching and decision making on the sideline explained away by him as to how much smarter he was then us and never made a mistake and really we were just uninformed fans.

On a lesser scale Drew Bledsoe and the heartache he provided always close but never really the answer.

So GW becomes the highest paid DC in the league and is heralded as really just an unfortunate victim in Buffalo and deserving a HC job. Oh how much I loved watching his defence crumble this year and he getting much (some) of the blame.

Then there was Bledsoe signing with Dallas and I worried he'd succeed and we'd be laughed at for our knee jerk reaction in choosing JP over DB.

So am I being petty when I say 2006 did not turn out too bad in those counts????

what are you, 12?

I still have a grudge against Bryan Cox.

I'm going to hold a grudge against you for hacking on RJ's performance in the Homerun Throwback game. As much of a bust as he was, I'll always defend his performance that day. He showed more heart and balls during those 60 mins than Flutie ever did. As painful as the game ended up, I was proud to be a Bills fan that day.

I'll let you know how long the grudge lasts.

I'm going to hold a grudge against you for hacking on RJ's performance in the Homerun Throwback game. As much of a bust as he was, I'll always defend his performance that day. He showed more heart and balls during those 60 mins than Flutie ever did. As painful as the game ended up, I was proud to be a Bills fan that day.

Just what balls???? Getting up after every sack and fumble???? He was completely lost the first half, bailed out by a defense that played as good a game as I've ever seen. The second half he made 2-3 decent passes and was supported by some long runs, that was all.....

With Flutie we win by 10 easy that game and that is because the defense was so good, not Flutie.....

we took a banged up team into the house of arguably the best team in the NFL, and we had them beat. RJ took pounding after pounding, but kept getting up and making plays. There's no way in hell Flutie would have won that game.

we took a banged up team into the house of arguably the best team in the NFL, and we had them beat. RJ took pounding after pounding, but kept getting up and making plays. There's no way in hell Flutie would have won that game.

What Plays???? I remember one pass for 30+ yards in the second half and the drive that set up the go ahead field goal was only about 35-40 yards had one scramble and probably 2 completions for 15 yards.

I love that revisionist history..... The defense and Flutie easily would have carried the game, that i am convinced about....

What Plays???? I remember one pass for 30+ yards in the second half and the drive that set up the go ahead field goal was only about 35-40 yards had one scramble and probably 2 completions for 15 yards.

I love that revisionist history..... The defense and Flutie easily would have carried the game, that i am convinced about....

You're friggin crazy. Not only because you're wrong, but because you took the bait.

As for grudges...Ronnie Harmon :fyou!

Indy :fyou for constructing a contract the Bills couldn't match

NFL :fyou for allowing the contract to stand

I agree, Flutie most certainly would have won that game, much like he won the playoff game against Miami the previous year.

Oh wait...

Flutie couldn't even carry the starting job, my friend.

*Grudge still in effect*

I agree, Flutie most certainly would have won that game, much like he won the playoff game against Miami the previous year.

Oh wait...

Oh I forgot that one where he threw for 350 yards and lost on a fumble at the 3 yard line.... How about Moulds being caught from behind on what should have been an 80 yard TD and fumbling the first or secod play of the game.

I forget, refresh my memory, didn't the defense play their greatest game that day (much like the Tennessee playoff game) ??? :thumbsup:

Yup it was all Fluties fault.....

Tennessee's defensive rankings in 1999. Note: 26th in passing yards given up, 27th in TD passes allowed, and 27th in YPA (out of 31 teams).

|---------- PASSING -----------||----- RUSHING -----| TOTAL

CMP ATT YD YPA TD INT ATT YD YPA TD YD

312 557 4000 7.18 26 16 383 1550 4.05 8 5550

NFL rank ---> 15 18 26 27 27 17 4 10 22 7 18

I still hold a bigger grudge toward Ronnie "4 fumbles in the Rose Bowl" Harmon, though ...

Oh I forgot that one where he threw for 350 yards and lost on a fumble at the 3 yard line.... How about Moulds being caught from behind on what should have been an 80 yard TD and fumbling the first or secod play of the game.

I forget, refresh my memory, didn't the defense play their greatest game that day (much like the Tennessee playoff game) ??? :thumbsup:

Yup it was all Fluties fault.....

*ring ring*

The year 2000 called, and they want their QB contraversy back.

Oh wait...

see my post above about TN's defense. Here's Miami's 1998 stats:

Team Defense

252 504 3194 6.34 17 29 395 1511 3.83 6 4705

NFL rank ---> 3 13 6 6 6 1 5 6 12 1 3

*ring ring*

The year 2000 called, and they want their QB contraversy back.

Point of the Post..... I do hold a grudge that dates back to 2000 and until this year it festered with my view of the Bills, thanks to GW, TD, Bledsoe and the whole 1999 debacle....

Tennessee's defensive rankings in 1999. Note: 26th in passing yards given up, 27th in TD passes allowed, and 27th in YPA (out of 31 teams).

I still hold a bigger grudge toward Ronnie "4 fumbles in the Rose Bowl" Harmon, though ...

Makes no difference to me. They were the best team in the AFC and came w/in a few feet of winning it all. We had them beat. Period.

I gotta say this is a case where the stats are misleading. Tennessee's defense was much improved for their stretch run, it carried them to the Super Bowl, and next year they were the #1 D in the league. So I think just looking at their overall season stats does not really tell the story.

I gotta say this is a case where the stats are misleading. Tennessee's defense was much improved for their stretch run, it carried them to the Super Bowl, and next year they were the #1 D in the league. So I think just looking at their overall season stats does not really tell the story.

I digress, but the point you're making is actually one of the reasons I hate the BCS. Sometimes a team is just simply better later on in the season than they are at the beginning. The Superbowl doesn't decide who was the best team in week 3. It decides who is the best team on THAT day when it's all on the line. I love that about sports, and the BCS just craps on this aspect of competition.

they did have a pretty good pass rush - i'll give them that. however, i don't think it's arguable that their defense was better than miami's in 98, which was very, very good.

I digress, but the point you're making is actually one of the reasons I hate the BCS. Sometimes a team is just simply better later on in the season than they are at the beginning. The Superbowl doesn't decide who was the best team in week 3. It decides who is the best team on THAT day when it's all on the line. I love that about sports, and the BCS just craps on this aspect of competition.

i actually used to think exactly like this, but having watched a ton of nfl football, i do think that teams perform better early in the season when they're not so wracked by injuries. more often than not, i find early season games to be more crisp and faster. i'm not really disputing your point, but i did want to throw it out there.