Is there a Ngata in this next draft?

No, if "a Ngata" means a highly projected classic nose tackle. If Alan Branch declares, he's espected to be the first DT taken but he's more of a penetrator in a big body than a classic nose guard type. Tampa-2 teams aren't usually interested in Ngatas, anyway. The Bills so far have show that they prefer small at that position. I don't necessarily agree with that philosophy but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Bills to draft a big guy.

I am really hoping that the bills adapt their philosphy in this area....

We have be be stout against the run next year......just have to.

878191[/snapback]

I actually just posted in another thread that the write ups on Quinn Pitcock seem like something we would be looking for. He's still a smaller DT at 295, but he has played better against the run than the pass. Apparently he had shoulder surgery last year, so it may be an issue...though it didn't slow him much this season.

I actually just posted in another thread that the write ups on Quinn Pitcock seem like something we would be looking for.  He's still a smaller DT at 295, but he has played better against the run than the pass.  Apparently he had shoulder surgery last year, so it may be an issue...though it didn't slow him much this season.

878194[/snapback]

He IS white and high-motor :-)

I think his agility numbers will determine his draft position. If he's athletic enough, I could see the Bills drafting him because the tenacity and leadership are there with him, and he's had a monster senior season. If the agility isn't there, the Bills will probably pass because I think they're looking for someone who can get after the passer from the interior.

He IS white and high-motor :-)

I think his agility numbers will determine his draft position.  If he's athletic enough, I could see the Bills drafting him because the tenacity and leadership are there with him, and he's had a monster senior season.  If the agility isn't there, the Bills will probably pass because I think they're looking for someone who can get after the passer from the interior.

878197[/snapback]

Well, from what I've been reading the agility isn't really there. I guess I'm just hoping that after this season Jauron/Levy realize that a guy who can stop the run is still important in this league. We have 3 DT's on the roster who are supposedly good at getting after the QB, why not have at least one who can play in the run game?

I worry that maybe you are right though.

Here are two write ups on Pitcock for those that don't know him:

Football's future

NFL Draft Countdown

For what it's worth, Pittcock has had a GREAT season sacking the passer. I think he has 9 sacks so far. But I think scouts will remain skeptical about his agility until they see him up close in the Senior Bowl and workouts.

And the reason I think the Bills are still looking for an interior pass rusher is because we didn't get much of it this season, at least not to the standards of a Tampa-2.

I like that site the best.... atleast i did. Why do they keep on leaving Jamarcus Russell as the guy for the Bills? It's like 3 stright updated mock drafts they have him going to Buffalo. It's obvious we are not going to pick a QB in the draft. What are they thinking??

878201[/snapback]

The guy that runs that site has been down on Losman since he was drafted. I think the last update came out before the announcement that Losman would be the starter next year, so maybe next time it will be changed.

I actually just posted in another thread that the write ups on Quinn Pitcock seem like something we would be looking for.  He's still a smaller DT at 295, but he has played better against the run than the pass.  Apparently he had shoulder surgery last year, so it may be an issue...though it didn't slow him much this season.

878194[/snapback]

I think the super bowl should prove that there is no room for Jeff Wright on this football team.

For what it's worth, Pittcock has had a GREAT season sacking the passer.  I think he has 9 sacks so far.  But I think scouts will remain skeptical about his agility until they see him up close in the Senior Bowl and workouts.

And the reason I think the Bills are still looking for an interior pass rusher is because we didn't get much of it this season, at least not to the standards of a Tampa-2.

878200[/snapback]

I like Pittcock as well but I like McCargo a lot more and we need someone who can stop the run and not just try to to get to the QB.

I like Pittcock as well but I like McCargo a lot more and we need someone who can stop the run and not just try to to get to the QB.

878211[/snapback]

I'm not really advocating Pittcock. Just pointing out that he has had success rushing the passer this season.

Also, Frank Okam should stay in school. He's been just so-so this season instead of dominant. The two best tackles this season have been Dorsey and Branch, neither of which are traditional stay-at-home runstuffers.

No, if "a Ngata" means a highly projected classic nose tackle.  If Alan Branch declares, he's espected to be the first DT taken but he's more of a penetrator in a big body than a classic nose guard type.  Tampa-2 teams aren't usually interested in Ngatas, anyway.  The Bills so far have show that they prefer small at that position.  I don't necessarily agree with that philosophy but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Bills to draft a big guy.

878182[/snapback]

I also agree, they might go after a DT in FA, I certainly don't see them drafting a DT this year, they already drafted 2 in '06.

I don't think McCargo is a solid run stopper though either.

Modify the tampa 2 to include 1 bohemoth of a DT, a player can be huge but still penetrating and also high motor.

I think we'll take the best offensive gaurd or run-stopping defensive tackle available in the draft, and its pretty much even money. The second pick should be to pick up what we don't get in the first. Linebacker will probably be the way to go after that. Our major personnel move should be to re-sign clements and get us one or two modest free agent pickups. We don't have awfully far to go to be a very good playoff team.

with our current cap, and assuming we spend some money, I don't think we'll draft OL first, I think we can re-sign Gandy and sign a top free agent like Steinbach, move gandy to RG and Steinbach at his natural LG.

at around the 15th to 20th expect Okam and Branch to be long gone, , tank Tyler who played with McCargo in college, had a great senior year, his weight is somewhere between 305-330, and is squatty. the other is Amobi Okoye, I really like him for a lot of reasons, first though he's a senior he's only 20...he played as a freshman at the age of 16......think about that what were you doing at 16? he was playing against interior linemen sometimes 8 years older than him. and taking college level classes (he is really smart, at 12 he was a freshman in high school). at 6'1" (ish) and about 315 he would be the ideal NT for this team, but I would bring in a free agent, one with lots of years and has a good track record i.e. Hollis Thomas who I believe is a free agent again. That leave two odd men out, unless we keep 5.

If Okam comes out, he'll be a second-rounder at best, imo. And I don't think he will because of that.

I like Okoye, too. It's possible the Bills could pick him. He's shaved about 15-20 pounds off his frame and has become more of a knifer this season than a stacker. I swear, dude was like 295 lbs last I saw him.

I'd prefer no Hollis Thomas. He'd be an okay stopgap but he's so old. I want to continue the trend of young players to build with.

I also agree, they might go after a DT in FA, I certainly don't see them drafting a DT this year, they already drafted 2 in '06.

I don't think McCargo is a solid run stopper though either.

Modify the tampa 2 to include 1 bohemoth of a DT, a player can be huge but still penetrating and also high motor.

878225[/snapback]

Robaire Smith will be a Bill next season....dude is a big get to the passer type DT, that is made for the Tampa 2...

Having said that I still want one exclusive BIG two gap run stuffer in our rotation.

If Okam comes out, he'll be a second-rounder at best, imo.  And I don't think he will because of that.

I like Okoye, too.  It's possible the Bills could pick him.  He's shaved about 15-20 pounds off his frame and has become more of a knifer this season than a stacker.  I swear, dude was like 295 lbs last I saw him.

I'd prefer no Hollis Thomas.  He'd be an okay stopgap but he's so old.  I want to continue the trend of young players to build with.

878336[/snapback]

There are really no free agents in this years class at DT, outside of Ian Scott ( :thumbsup: )whom someone will overpay for. I believe we are no longer re-building, we're built, we need vets that can make an impact as role players...Hollis thomas has always been a good player that gets little attention, yes he's old and sure he's a stopgap, but we need Stopgaps too. Good teams are made that way. I saw Okoye play a few times this year as well, I never saw his weight listed, or I just didn't notice it, if he's lost that much weight I don't consider it a bad thing, I think it shows his ability to stay in shape which was a concern earlier in his career.

according to espn.com robaire smith is a DE

878353[/snapback]

He was a DE in the Texans 3-4 scheme...In Tenn this season he is back playing DT....He is having a weak season....but I def see him being the Bills main target cuz he fits the tampa 2 perfectly....he's big(328lbs) and he rushes the passer like a mutha!@#$er.....

878211[/snapback]

Pitcock IS run stuffer. He also had a better year going after the QB this year.

the other is Amobi Okoye, I really like him for a lot of reasons, first though he's a senior he's only 20...he played as a freshman at the age of 16......

878332[/snapback]

This is the other guy I like. He should really be a top DT for a long time in this league.

What's wrong with Scott?  He's the starter on a stout Bears defense at NT.

878365[/snapback]

Nothing is wrong with him, I think he's the number one DT in the FA market, he just will be overpaid becasue of it, personally having seen him play when he was a gator, I just really never got why he was considered a potential 1st rounder at one time. If he came here cheap, I would take him. But I'd rather have a 1st rounder and use that money for a OLman, since OLmen take longer to groom, I'd rather spend the moeny on one who is ready and able.

I like that site the best.... atleast i did. Why do they keep on leaving Jamarcus Russell as the guy for the Bills? It's like 3 stright updated mock drafts they have him going to Buffalo. It's obvious we are not going to pick a QB in the draft. What are they thinking??

878201[/snapback]

Absolutely the worst mock i've ever seen. Sam Baker isn't going to sniff the top ten IMHO. And JaMarcus Russell???? HAHAHAHA. These guys really know their football and really must watch a lot of Bills games.

"What the Bills really need is a stud offensive tackle but since there isn't much value left there they instead opt for a top signal caller. The current regime in Buffalo has never been big fan's of J.P. Losman and he hasn't really done much to change their opinions this year so considering they weren't responsible for bringing him into the fold they would have no problem moving on from that mistake. Even though Brian Brohm gets more attention JaMarcus Russell is actually a better pro prospect and while the Daunte Culpepper comparisons are pretty accurate what really stands out is his arm strength, which might be as good as anyone's in the game. At any level."

Obviously the "JP Losman is our starting QB for the next season and forseeable future" quote by Dick was a bluff. Just so they could get russell. Nice research morons.

Absolutely the worst mock i've ever seen. Sam Baker isn't going to sniff the top ten IMHO. And JaMarcus Russell???? HAHAHAHA. These guys really know their football and really must watch a lot of Bills games.

878608[/snapback]

The site will be constantly upgraded when the off-season starts. Generally it is the best draft site on the net, with great player write-ups and lots of information. The mocks are just like any other...hit and miss, but fun to look at if your into that stuff. As I said earlier, the Buffalo pick will probably change once his new draft comes out.

The site will be constantly upgraded when the off-season starts.  Generally it is the best draft site on the net, with great player write-ups and lots of information.  The mocks are just like any other...hit and miss, but fun to look at if your into that stuff.  As I said earlier, the Buffalo pick will probably change once his new draft comes out.

878610[/snapback]

When did this old one come out? I have been looking at a bunch of drafts tonight and i think there is going to be a huge uproar again this April when Marv again shocks the world and doesn't take a "can't miss" QB prospect like Russell or Stanton

The site will be constantly upgraded when the off-season starts.  Generally it is the best draft site on the net, with great player write-ups and lots of information.  The mocks are just like any other...hit and miss, but fun to look at if your into that stuff.  As I said earlier, the Buffalo pick will probably change once his new draft comes out.

878610[/snapback]

Even though they haven't been the same without Joel Bauchbaum's passing PFW's final mock was scary good this past year. I mean they almost hit of the first 14 picks they hit on 12 and only reversed picks 5 and 6, had they not done so they would of been an amazing 14 of 14. :doh:

Here's who they forecasted and how things went:

1. Texans — DE Mario Williams, HIT

2. Saints — RB Reggie Bush, HIT

3. Titans — QB Vince Young, HIT

4. Jets — OT D’Brickashaw Ferguson, HIT

5. Packers — TE Vernon Davis, MISS

6. 49ers — OLB A.J. Hawk, MISS

7. Raiders — DB Michael Huff, HIT

8. Eagles (trade with Buffalo) — DT Brodrick Bunkley, HIT, MISS ON TRADE

9. Lions — OLB Ernie Sims, HIT

10. Cardinals — QB Matt Leinart, HIT

11. Rams — QB Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt HIT ON PICK, MISS ON TEAM