A Few Thoughts About The Game And The Bills

Bill from NYC

That's partially because the franchise essentially gave up on Travis Henry. London Fletcher said it himself. I feel they drove him to that. It's up to the organization to sell that to a player and the Bills (rather Bills coaches and management) failed miserably.

- Henry was under contract at a very cheap price.

- Henry was a very productive back

- Willis was coming off a major injury and while good, had not shown the level of consistency needed to win in the NFL.

All signs pointed to keeping Travis Henry. You look at a team like Carolina -- they had Stephen Davis and Deshaun Foster operating in the same backfield.. they were both fine with it, in large part because the organization knew they BOTH were important and treated them as such. The same is happening now, with Foster and D'Angelo Williams (last year's first round pick). Dito for New England with Maroney and Dillon.

I really feel this team (and Willis) would have been better by keeping the two of them.

IIRC, TH said that he no longer wanted to play for the Bills. That TD obtained a 3rd round pick for him was good.

You can't keep a bad apple..

877689[/snapback]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's partially because the franchise essentially gave up on him. London Fletcher said it himself.  I feel they drove him to that.  It's up to the organization to sell that to a player and the Bills (or rather Bills coaches and management) failed miserably.

- Willis was coming off a major injury and while good, had not shown the level of consistency needed to win in the NFL.

All signs pointed to keeping Travis Henry.  You look at a team like Carolina -- they had Stephen Davis and Deshaun Foster operating in the same backfield.. they were both fine with it, in large part because the organization knew they BOTH were important and treated them as such.  The same is happening now, with Foster and D'Angelo Williams (last year's first round pick).  Dito for New England with Maroney and Dillon.

I really feel this team (and Willis) would have been better by keeping the two of them.

877694[/snapback]

Great post.....

So many great combo's out there(Bush/Duece is another), yet we couldnt find a way for our combo to work.....

Could you imagine Mcgahee/Henry combo?? Punish the Defense with Henry and then let Mcgahee gash a tired defense......

Damn did we screw up what could have been a great thing...

That's partially because the franchise essentially gave up on him. London Fletcher said it himself.  I feel they drove him to that.  It's up to the organization to sell that to a player and the Bills (or rather Bills coaches and management) failed miserably.

All signs pointed to keeping Travis Henry.  You look at a team like Carolina -- they had Stephen Davis and Deshaun Foster operating in the same backfield.. they were both fine with it, in large part because the organization knew they BOTH were important and treated them as such.  The same is happening now, with Foster and D'Angelo Williams (last year's first round pick).  Dito for New England with Maroney and Dillon.

877694[/snapback]

Plenty of folks would have liked TH to stay, for the reasons you mention. Who knows for sure, but I doubt that the Bills' organization wanted him to leave.

Regarding CAR...they were a strong club - which is conducive to amity among the troops.

I know that Marvin Lewis tried very, very hard to convince TKO to stay, but he had had it, and who could blame him? Those things happen.

My impression is that Henry dug his heels in, and that was that.

I'm not saying the Bills organization "wanted" him to leave. I am simply saying they drove him to the point where he wanted to leave. In Carolina, the Panthers were NOT a strong club when they signed Stephen Davis to a free agent contract and drafted Deshaun Foster in the first round. In fact, they were pretty bad at the time. What John Fox and Hurney (their GM) did was sell the idea to both players. They made it clear that both players were in their long-term plans and put their money where their mouth was... fast forward to 2006, the team picks D'Angelo Williams in the first round despite having a capable back in Foster. New Orleans drafted Reggie Bush in the first round despite having McCallister. New England drafted Maroney in the first with every intention in the world to keep Dillon. All 3 of those franchises had to sell the idea to both RBs and all parties involved bought in.

The Bills didn't even try with Travis. Once Willis started doing well, they pretty much treated Travis like he was used goods. I think the Bills mgmt did this because they were confident Willis was a top-5 running back. If they knew he'd go on to become as inconsistent as he is today, my money says they keep Travis.

Plenty of folks would have liked TH to stay, for the reasons you mention. Who knows for sure, but I doubt that the Bills' organization wanted him to leave.

Regarding CAR...they were a strong club - which is conducive to amity among the troops.

I know that Marvin Lewis tried very, very hard to convince TKO to stay, but he had had it, and who could blame him? Those things happen.

My impression is that Henry dug his heels in, and that was that.

877698[/snapback]

The Bills didn't even try with Travis.  Once Willis started doing well, they pretty much treated Travis like he was used goods.  I think the Bills mgmt did this because they were confident Willis was a top-5 running back. If they knew he'd go on to become as inconsistent as he is today, my money says they keep Travis.

877717[/snapback]

I doubt Donahoe would have EVER kept TH. From the day TD came to Buffalo he as going to replace every player with one of his own. He drafted WM to replace TH regardless of how well WM played. He had a plan, and executed flawlessly...he had to replace 52 players in 5 yrs and did it!

I doubt Donahoe would have EVER kept TH.  From the day TD came to Buffalo he as going to replace every player with one of his own.  He drafted WM to replace TH regardless of how well WM played.  He had a plan, and executed flawlessly...he had to replace 52 players in 5 yrs and did it!

877724[/snapback]

Td drafted Henry too :D

Your "few thoughts" are always a delight to read, Bill.  Merry X-mas bro.

877704[/snapback]

AGREE 100%

I lurk here very often to read posts by guys such as Bill NYC, Bad old Bills, Mad Buff disease and MANY more. These folks are smart football fans and it is a pleasure to read their opinions (whether or not you agree with them). TSW is a great spot.

While I am not a true Bills fan I do however like the team and much much much more often than not I will root for them to win as was the case yesterday. It was a tough loss.I see my Jets team as likeable sad sacks and over the years as a Jets fan I truly understand "the heartbreak time of the season" (see tonights game :D)

I do believe both the Bills and Jets are going to contend for the AFC east very soon and that the Paytoilets are on a downward trend. (no I am not delusional)

Merry Christmas to all !

AGREE 100%

I lurk here very often to read posts by guys such as Bill NYC, Bad old Bills, Mad Buff disease and MANY more. These folks are smart football fans and it is a pleasure to read their opinions (whether or not you agree with them). TSW is a great spot.

While I am not a true Bills fan I do however like the team and much much much more often than not I will root for them to win as was the case yesterday. It was a tough loss.I see my Jets team as likeable sad sacks and over the years as a Jets fan I truly understand "the heartbreak time of the season" (see tonights game :D)

I do believe both the Bills and Jets are going to contend for the AFC east very soon and that the Paytoilets are on a downward trend. (no I am not delusional)

Merry Christmas to all !

877730[/snapback]

Last time I checked the Patriots still have Tom Brady.

Quite frankly, that's all they need.

Last time I checked the Patriots still have Tom Brady.

Having a very good QB is part of but is not the whole "recipe for success"

See Big Ben in Pittsburgh this year. Im hopeful the Pats do a Pitt next year.

Also,

Some of You fellas are now talking about how T. Henry should have been kept. Isnt this the same T. Henry that was kinda thought of as a thug and wasnt it thought of as a good thing when he left due to his character flaws?

Also,

Some of You fellas are now talking about how T. Henry should have been kept. Isnt this the same T. Henry that was kinda thought of as a thug of sorts and it wasnt good to see him go due to his character flaws?

877742[/snapback]

I like Travis Henry always have, but some people are too much. People quickly forget the reason he was let go to begin with. Henry started the 04 season, got injured, Willis made his debut against miami ran for 100 yards, Henry got his job back in the baltimore game was benched at halftime and willis took over from there. Henry had 5 games that year to prove his worth and had he performed better would probably not have been traded. The simple fact is travis henry did not produce his last season here and willis flat out won the job.

Travis Henry is a good rb, who now has the benefit of teams spying vince young which opens up a lot of running lanes, but because travis "Ran hard" against the bills isn't reason enough for me to say "well we should've kept him".I'll kind of compare it to jets fans saying your team should've kept lamont jordan over curtis martin. Granted Martin was older but yeah. I wish Travis the best for the rest of his career, but as much donahoe "slapped him in the face" Travis flat out quit on this team. Too bad cause Henry/McGahee could've been one hell of a combo.

If you want to blame someone for Travis leaving, blame Travis himself.  The Bills were fully prepared to keep him, but Travis felt slighted by the selection of Willis in the 1st round, after Travis gave his heart and soul to the team his first 3 years.

877733[/snapback]

Yup. Despite the current in vogue, drummed-into-the-head concept that there are always outside forces conspiring, always a poor victim, TH was just P-O'd and wanted out.

Such is life...

Are you sure about Williams?  Where do you see his strength being?  From what I understand about the cover-2, Triplett's job is to get up field, but Williams main responsibility is run support.  If we need to upgrade our run defense, and I think we can all agree that we do, then Williams' position is the first one I'm looking at.

877648[/snapback]

Williams will need a full off season of conditioning to be a good DT and he will be after this off season....Remember college season is only 12 weeks.

This board is so full of hypocrisy.

Henry supporters give McGahee no credit for his games against the Jets because he has a reason to be motivated, and yet when TH shows up motivated against the team he feels kicked him in the groin, they act like it's how he always runs.

They also ignore the benefit of having a QB like Vince Young drawing attention from the MLB and spreading defenses every time he fakes a bootleg on a run play. Not to mention, the players are running behind different OLs. It's a pretty common trend that Willis runs well vs teams with smaller fronts that the Bills line can match up with, but struggles vs teams whose fronts are strong enough to dominate ours.

The truth is, that the one season both players were here with the SAME QB and SAME OL, Willis was by FAR the better back. What's happening now involves so many outside factors it's difficult to judge who is playing better football.

2) I am not one to focus too much on, nor gush over quarterbacks. That said, JP played his ass off, and left this cynical poster completely impressed.

It'll be nice to go into next season and not have finding the QB be THE main concern for the coaches.

3) I am trying to put into perspective JUST how good Jason Peters is. I wouldn't accept anything less for him in a trade than the #1 pick in the 07 draft. I would only accept this because Badolbilz told me there is a kid coming out of college who is an absolute super talent, with a chance to be an all-time great. Am I getting my point accross?

I wouldn't give Peters up for the #1 pick.

A) Conjuring Donald Rumsfeld here, after two seasons where he's shown his mettle, JP is a known known. You go drafting a kid (who is it, Joe Thomas?), even at #1, and it's an unknown known (or is that a known unknown?). B) A #1 pick costs about $30M in guaranteed money before he's played a snap. Peters' contract is a veritable steal. As a close example of the past two subpoints, see: Robert Gallery.

6) Talk about a game changing play? The 2nd quarter holding penalty by Gandy hurt us BIG FRIGGIN TIME! It cost us points and momentum. Imo, he is a backup OT and nothing more. We simply must fix this problem in the offseason. I for one couldn't care less if Gandy walks. Sorry about that.

Don't apologize for that, Bill.

8) I have been generally complimentary toward Tripplett. Yesterday, he was so bad that I wanted to cry. I held back because it would have looked bad in front of my wife and 3 daughters.

Three daughters?!? You poor man!

11) I am not angry. The Bills accomplished more than we had a right to expect imo. We got very lucky with some TD acquisitions (Evans, Losman and Peters to name a few) and some late round picks by Marv. When the smoke clears, this team will have a chance to be very good. We can all see the needs.....OGs, DTs, and young LBs. These are NOT the toughest positions to fill. In any event, I live every day proud of being a part of the Buffalo Bills community.

I'm not either. We all figured this was going to be a nothing year, and it turned out that the team learned a lot and found answers to lots of the holes, especially through the draft and UDFAs. Teams that have good drafts see it really, really pay off about 3-4 years later. Have a few good drafts and you're a SB contender. Let's all hope that Marv and Modrak keep up the good work, and that DJ gets better at managing the clock and making smart choices on 4th downs.

I would in a heartbeat. Then peddle it to some sap club willing to fork over a fistful of Day 1 picks this draft and next.  :lol:

877812[/snapback]

Thats why Marv is the GM and you are not. Peters is a shutdown tackle ready to blossom next year and is on the team at a cheap price. He's the cornerstone of the line and you'd be willing to give him up for us to groom another tackle which could take another couple of years.

:D:doh::doh:

Thats why Marv is the GM and you are not. Peters is a shutdown tackle ready to blossom next year and is on the team at a cheap price. He's the cornerstone of the line and you'd be willing to give him up for us to groom another tackle which could take another couple of years.

:D  :doh:  :lol:

877817[/snapback]

Until some team offers another team the #1 overall pick for their LT, we will never know, will we?

:doh::lol::D