Rocky Balboa........

The Poojer

i too enjoyed it, but rocky 1-5, yes even five are some of my favorite movies, if it's on I am watching, I have the VHS and DVDs too, and yet if it's on the tube i am still watching it. So unless it was really bad I was going to really like it, and I did

Maybe you go into the movie not expecting a whole lot. Maybe you go in knowing Sly's history, and how he can't seem to play any character other than Rocky Balboa or John Rambo.

Nonetheless, I was blown away by this movie when I saw it Saturday afternoon. It won't win any awards, but it was a great job by a 60 year old Stallone.

Even Burt Young did well as Paulie...you wonder if they just wake him up for the Rocky movies, because you don't see him anywhere else (and I thought he was terrific as the driver/Rodney's best friend in "Back to School", but that was 20 years ago).

This makes two excellent movies I've seen this holiday season (the other is "We Are Marshall"), which is two more than usual.

I highly recommend "Rocky Balboa", and you guys are correct. It is a great bookend to the series. Guess we didn't know Stallone had it in him.

****1/2 out of 5 stars.

Maybe you go into the movie not expecting a whole lot.  Maybe you go in knowing Sly's history, and how he can't seem to play any character other than Rocky Balboa or John Rambo.

Nonetheless, I was blown away by this movie when I saw it Saturday afternoon.  It won't win any awards, but it was a great job by a 60 year old Stallone. 

Even Burt Young did well as Paulie...you wonder if they just wake him up for the Rocky movies, because you don't see him anywhere else (and I thought he was terrific as the driver/Rodney's best friend in "Back to School", but that was 20 years ago).

This makes two excellent movies I've seen this holiday season (the other is "We Are Marshall"), which is two more than usual.

I highly recommend "Rocky Balboa", and you guys are correct.  It is a great bookend to the series.  Guess we didn't know Stallone had it in him.

****1/2 out of 5 stars.

875979[/snapback]

That's fuggin awesome...I'm PSYCHED!!!!! :lol:

I'm gonna geek out to this film and get overwhelmed with nostalgia....I can feel it :sick:

I know Rocky is a feel good movie for everyone, but I can honestly say I thought it was terrible. The ending of the movie was great, and the fight was great, but it was incredibly slow leading up to that point. I thought the majority of the movie would be about Rocky making his comeback, training and maybe some practice fights, but they spent about 3 minutes on his training and that was it. The movie really had no purpose leading up to the final fight scene. Maybe I was expecting a whole lot, or a great movie, but it just wasnt it for me. Flame away.

This film has a 77% "fresh" rating at Rottentomatoes.com (which is very good for those of you not familiar with their system), with a 97% rating among users. That's pretty damn good for a film that a lot of folks probably thought was a bad idea.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rocky_balb...4&int=25&page=2

the movie like all other rocky's were not about the fight! it was about the man...the fight was just a nice anchor, if you are going to this movie to see a prize fight...stay away

I know Rocky is a feel good movie for everyone, but I can honestly say I thought it was terrible. The ending of the movie was great, and the fight was great, but it was incredibly slow leading up to that point. I thought the majority of the movie would be about Rocky making his comeback, training and maybe some practice fights, but they spent about 3 minutes on his training and that was it. The movie really had no purpose leading up to the final fight scene. Maybe I was expecting a whole lot, or a great movie, but it just wasnt it for me. Flame away.

876027[/snapback]

the movie like all other rocky's were not about the fight!  it was about the man...the fight was just a nice anchor, if you are going to this movie to see a prize fight...stay away

878001[/snapback]

Damn right....I totally agree.

According to ESPN columnist Bill Simmons, Rocky Balboa singlehandedly ended the cold war with Rocky IV.  Regardless, I don't think I ever understood a word Stallone said in either Rambo or Rocky.  :doh:

876045[/snapback]

You mean they didn't subtitle it for the Canadians?

the movie like all other rocky's were not about the fight! it was about the man...the fight was just a nice anchor, if you are going to this movie to see a prize fight...stay away

Good point, but Im not going to watch an hour and a half movie about "the man", there needs to be something else besides the 7 minute fight to keep my attention. It was a poor film, and that's all there is to it. There are other ways to get a moral stance and a good character across than whatever the hell they planned in that movie. Not to mention, the fight was at the end of the film, so its hard to sit there for an hour and half watching "the man."

Good point, but Im not going to watch an hour and a half movie about "the man", there needs to be something else besides the 7 minute fight to keep my attention. It was a poor film, and that's all there is to it. There are other ways to get a moral stance and a good character across than whatever the hell they planned in that movie. Not to mention, the fight was at the end of the film, so its hard to sit there for an hour and half watching "the man."

I guess what I'm wondering is why did you even go to see it to begin with? Though I haven't seen it yet, the earlier films - particularly the first and second - were mostly character driven. I doubt you "sat there for an hour and a half watching 'the man'" with those films and then said, "hey, I hated those two, so why not go and see Rocky VI!" It's not like Stallone all of a sudden just NOW started developing the character. Do you really think a film that DIDN'T have character development could have won an academy award back in the day? I guess the bottom line is that you pretty much know what you're getting with Rocky films by this point, don't you? Why even go see it if that's not what you enjoy?