I have been accused...

BoondckCL

of scamming the company i work for. Bare with me, it's lengthy, but i need advice.

How so? The company monitors our performance on the job with a computer system that sets a certain amount of alotted time for each order. After we finish an order, we type in our next order and the actual time we spent on the our last order is then divided by the time the computer says we should complete the order in.

At the end of the night, one must type in a sign off code that signs you off of the system, and identifies the amount of time you spent on your last order of the night, as well as your total for the night.

The percentage points are then taken and used to gage your performance on the job. In between 80 and 109% one is paid $15.00 an hour, 110-120%, one is paid at a rate of an additional $2.75 for a total of $17.75. At 121-125% one is paid at a rate of $21.00 an hour.

I usually run somewhere between a 95% and 103%. Tonight, as i have done for the past three weeks, i signed off while i still had one aisle left on my order, and five minutes after my signing off, i was approached by one of the managers and told that i was "scamming" the company because i signed off early and i was running up my percentages. For the record i ran a 100% on the night.

As is clearly seen, i am no where near any of the incentive numbers, which are those numbers which increase your pay. So is it truly scamming. Maybe it is just the choice of words that my manager. Rick used, but I don't think i was scamming the company.

Advice, words, whatever would be appreciated.

of scamming the company i work for. Bare with me, it's lengthy, but i need advice.

How so? The company monitors our performance on the job with a computer system that sets a certain amount of alotted time for each order. After we finish an order, we type in our next order and the actual time we spent on the our last order is then divided by the time the computer says we should complete the order in.

At the end of the night, one must type in a sign off code that signs you off of the system, and identifies the amount of time you spent on your last order of the night, as well as your total for the night.

The percentage points are then taken and used to gage your performance on the job. In between 80 and 109% one is paid $15.00 an hour, 110-120%, one is paid at a rate of an additional $2.75 for a total of $17.75. At 121-125% one is paid at a rate of $21.00 an hour.

I usually run somewhere between a 95% and 103%. Tonight, as i have done for the past three weeks, i signed off while i still had one aisle left on my order, and five minutes after my signing off, i was approached by one of the managers and told that i was "scamming" the company because i signed off early and i was running up my percentages. For the record i ran a 100% on the night.

As is clearly seen, i am no where near any of the incentive numbers, which are those numbers which increase your pay. So is it truly scamming. Maybe it is just the choice of words that my manager. Rick used, but I don't think i was scamming the company.

Advice, words, whatever would be appreciated.

871592[/snapback]

sounds like you work for Sysco Foods, Inc

No, their rival. US Foodservice.

871601[/snapback]

same difference...both warehouses care only about better than perfect production and still finding ways to stick it to their employees who do so. They love to offer bonuses but hate it when you achieve them and find ways to screw you.

that said though, if you werent done with your pull and you signed off showing you were, that could technically be viewed as scamming...if it was an isolated incident thats one thing, but if its something done on a nightly basis thats another.

Complete the order, and then sign off.

871604[/snapback]

Than it sounds like you are guilty as charged. I don't mean you're trying to rip anyone off, but you're not following the proceedure and that impacts the numbers and the resulting decisions that are made from the analysis of those numbers.

Your boss' job includes quality control over that process. He can't afford to let people not follow the proper procedure and from the way you describe it, it is possible to manipulate the stats in your favor. I'm surprised it took him 3 weeks to notice, but maybe he wanted to see if it was a pattern.

I'd say your best bet is to apologize and tell him you certainly didn't intend to do anything outside the lines and it won't happen again. If you're a good employee he'll probably let it go at that.

Good luck.

Than it sounds like you are guilty as charged.  I don't mean you're trying to rip anyone off, but you're not following the proceedure and that impacts the numbers and the resulting decisions that are made from the analysis of those numbers.

Your boss' job includes quality control over that process.  He can't afford to let people not follow the proper procedure and from the way you describe it, it is possible to manipulate the stats in your favor.  I'm surprised it took him 3 weeks to notice, but maybe he wanted to see if it was a pattern.

I'd say your best bet is to apologize and tell him you certainly didn't intend to do anything outside the lines and it won't happen again.  If you're a good employee he'll probably let it go at that.

Good luck.

871617[/snapback]

See now, what is confusing as hell to me is that everybody does it and they never discouraged it during my training, as well as it is considered a regular practice by all those at the warehouse.

See now, what is confusing as hell to me is that everybody does it and they never discouraged it during my training, as well as it is considered a regular practice by all those at the warehouse.

871620[/snapback]

Sounds like your supervisor is working on his Christmas bonus. But just because everyone does it doesn't mean it's right.

Than it sounds like you are guilty as charged.  I don't mean you're trying to rip anyone off, but you're not following the proceedure and that impacts the numbers and the resulting decisions that are made from the analysis of those numbers.

Your boss' job includes quality control over that process.  He can't afford to let people not follow the proper procedure and from the way you describe it, it is possible to manipulate the stats in your favor.  I'm surprised it took him 3 weeks to notice, but maybe he wanted to see if it was a pattern.

I'd say your best bet is to apologize and tell him you certainly didn't intend to do anything outside the lines and it won't happen again.  If you're a good employee he'll probably let it go at that.

Good luck.

871617[/snapback]

I agree but it sounds like management didn't approach this in a very tactful way.

Actually, the company is scamming you! If you sign off before you finish, the time it takes you to complete that last order is not paid to you. Since you signed off, you no longer are on the clock.

Having said that, the only scamming that is being done is you are giving incorrect data that is used to set the payoff limits. So you are making the company historical data look better than it really is.

You apparently have a lot of things that make doing anything but apologizing and saying it won't happen again something that might be job threatening.

1. You apparently don't have a union. Hence tactlessness of the supervisor is a given

2. I suspect you are in a firing at will state, meaning pushing it could have very bad consequences.]

3. No union, employment at will means the supervisor pretty much owns you while at work. Try to get along.

Wish I could be of more help, but if the rule said finish before you sign off, then that's what you have to do.