Playoff implications tonight!!!!

SACTOBILLSFAN

It may be a long shot, but JAX can't win on the road, and that leaves the door open a little bit. Especially if the Cards can beat the Broncos (DAMMIT JUST SAW 10-0 Denver already) and if the Super Chargers beat the Chefs tonight. Like i said it may be a long shot but it makes other games interesting.

Why do people insist its such a longshot?

As of now:

8-5 Cincinnati (Play IND tomorrow, DEN and PIT left)

8-6 Jacksonville (have NE next week and close with KC)

8-6 NY Jets (Play MIA next week, close with oakland)

7-6 Denver (Still have CIN and SF)

7-6 Kansas City (Play SD tonight)

7-7 Pittsburgh (Play Baltimore next week)

7-7 Buffalo (We know the drill)

7-7 Tennessee

After tonight, we very well could be looking at 3 or 4 teams at 8-6, and buffalo sitting at 7-7, 1 game back. Buffalo holds most the tiebreakers if they win out due to a 7-5 AFC record.

The JETS are trouble. We have to hope MIAMI gets angry after being shutout and thromps them. Cuz OAKLAND isn't going to do it. They well could finish 10-6.

CINCINATTI is also trouble because they can only win one more game. A loss to INDIANAPOLIS tomorrow is key. Then we have to hope either PIT or DEN beats them. But DENVER is one of the teams that holds the tiebreaker over us if they beat CINCINATTI. So really, the ideal situation would be for PITTSBURGH to beat them in week 17.

JACKSONVILLE has 2 tough games left. We do hold the H2H vs. them. They need to win only one of their last 2. And luckilly for us they play NE next week and close at KC.

So....we need DENVER to figure out how to lose this game to ARIZONA (and believe me, they are trying), and we need SAN DIEGO to beat up on KC tonight. Let INDY beat CINCINATTI and move on to next week.

Then there are the 3 8 win teams outlined above and a whole mess of teams in the same boat as us, most of whom we hold the tiebreaker over. All we need then is to have one of the 8 win teams stumble...and we got a shot.

Is it a stretch? Probably. But i wouldnt call it a longshot!

As of now:

7-7 Tennessee

After tonight, we very well could be looking at 3 or 4 teams at 8-6, and buffalo sitting at 7-7, 1 game back.  Buffalo holds most the tiebreakers if they win out due to a 7-5 AFC record.

The JETS are trouble.  We have to hope MIAMI gets angry after being shutout and thromps them.  Cuz OAKLAND isn't going to do it.  They well could finish 10-6.

CINCINATTI is also trouble because they can only win one more game.  A loss to INDIANAPOLIS tomorrow is key.  Then we have to hope either PIT or DEN beats them.  But DENVER is one of the teams that holds the tiebreaker over us if they beat CINCINATTI.  So really, the ideal situation would be for PITTSBURGH to beat them in week 17.

JACKSONVILLE has 2 tough games left.  We do hold the H2H vs. them.  They need to win only one of their last 2.  And luckilly for us they play NE next week and close at KC.

So....we need DENVER to figure out how to lose this game to ARIZONA (and believe me, they are trying), and we need SAN DIEGO to beat up on KC tonight.  Let INDY beat CINCINATTI and move on to next week.

Then there are the 3 8 win teams outlined above and a whole mess of teams in the same boat as us, most of whom we hold the tiebreaker over.  All we need then is to have one of the 8 win teams stumble...and we got a shot.

Is it a stretch?  Probably.  But i wouldnt call it a longshot!

869771[/snapback]

better this gigantic formula than some stupid gigantic draft formula with the bottom feeders. I didn't realize till today how much i've missed the playoffs.

As of now:

7-7 Tennessee

After tonight, we very well could be looking at 3 or 4 teams at 8-6, and buffalo sitting at 7-7, 1 game back.  Buffalo holds most the tiebreakers if they win out due to a 7-5 AFC record.

The JETS are trouble.  We have to hope MIAMI gets angry after being shutout and thromps them.  Cuz OAKLAND isn't going to do it.  They well could finish 10-6.

CINCINATTI is also trouble because they can only win one more game.  A loss to INDIANAPOLIS tomorrow is key.  Then we have to hope either PIT or DEN beats them.  But DENVER is one of the teams that holds the tiebreaker over us if they beat CINCINATTI.  So really, the ideal situation would be for PITTSBURGH to beat them in week 17.

JACKSONVILLE has 2 tough games left.  We do hold the H2H vs. them.  They need to win only one of their last 2.  And luckilly for us they play NE next week and close at KC.

So....we need DENVER to figure out how to lose this game to ARIZONA (and believe me, they are trying), and we need SAN DIEGO to beat up on KC tonight.  Let INDY beat CINCINATTI and move on to next week.

Then there are the 3 8 win teams outlined above and a whole mess of teams in the same boat as us, most of whom we hold the tiebreaker over.  All we need then is to have one of the 8 win teams stumble...and we got a shot.

Is it a stretch?  Probably.  But i wouldnt call it a longshot!

869771[/snapback]

I completely agree with you, in spirit. However, when you have to win out and about 4 teams hae to lose and it takes a post this long to explain it all... well, it sure seems like a long shot. But, here's to Billievin. :ph34r:

I completely agree with you, in spirit.  However, when you have to win out and about 4 teams hae to lose and it takes a post this long to explain it all... well, it sure seems like a long shot.  But, here's to Billievin.  :ph34r:

869776[/snapback]

Want me to shorten it?

If IND beats CIN, at worst, there will be 5 teams at 8-6 after this weekend. I contend that the BILLS hold the tiebreaker over almost all of these teams. If BUFFALO wins out, they will need 4 of these 5 teams to lose 1 game. KC plays JAX. CIN plays DEN, There is 2 of the 4 losses we need. 2 more key losses (SD over KC, NE over JAX, PIT over CIN, SF over DEN, MIA over NYJ ) likely gets us in.

Want me to shorten it?

If IND beats CIN, at worst, there will be 5 teams at 8-6 after this weekend.  I contend that the BILLS hold the tiebreaker over almost all of these teams.  If BUFFALO wins out, they will need 4 of these 5 teams to lose 1 game.  KC plays JAX.  CIN plays DEN,  There is 2 of the 4 losses we need.  2 more key losses (SD over KC, NE over JAX, PIT over CIN, SF over DEN, MIA over NYJ ) likely gets us in.

869789[/snapback]

Much better. Thanks :ph34r: It'd be great if the dang Cards could go ahead and give the Broncos that loss already.

So, if we end up in a tie with the Jests at 9-7, who holds the tiebreaker there??

869800[/snapback]

Depends on next week's Jets/Dolphins game. If Miami wins that game, the Bills will hold the tiebreaker. If the Jets win, they will hold the tiebreaker.

So, if we end up in a tie with the Jests at 9-7, who holds the tiebreaker there??

869800[/snapback]

Well, its an interesting question. If their one loss comes to MIAMI, it goes to common opponents. If their one loss comes to OAKLAND, we win the tiebreaker.

This assumes a head to head tiebreaker with NEW YORK, however if other teams are involved, a different criteria is used.

NFL tiebreaking rules can be found here

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

Well, its an interesting question.  If their one loss comes to MIAMI, it goes to common opponents.  If their one loss comes to OAKLAND, we win the tiebreaker.

This assumes a head to head tiebreaker with NEW YORK, however if other teams are involved, a different criteria is used. 

NFL tiebreaking rules can be found here

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

869820[/snapback]

Since the NFL uses the division tiebreakers to eliminate all but the top team in each division, the division tiebreaker process will ALWAYS be applied if we end up tied with the Jets. So I'm pretty sure that the Jets clinch the tiebreaker over us if they beat Miami (as their division record would be 4-2).

Since the NFL uses the division tiebreakers to eliminate all but the top team in each division, the division tiebreaker process will ALWAYS be applied if we end up tied with the Jets.  So I'm pretty sure that the Jets clinch the tiebreaker over us if they beat Miami (as their division record would be 4-2).

869882[/snapback]

WRONG.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.

2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

If it is JUST us and the JETS. Then the Jets win. If its Us, the JETS and someone else, a different set of rules is used.

WRONG.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.

2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

If it is JUST us and the JETS.  Then the Jets win.  If its Us, the JETS and someone else, a different set of rules is used.

869910[/snapback]

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the three Wild-Card participants.

What you quoted only applies for a 2-team tie.