Global warming +cows

My local newspaper chose to not to publish the UN study, that bovines have more effect on climate than our automobiles or powerplants. Did yours?

Feeling manipulated, my Kool-Aid bow-to-the-popular buzz-left-wing-mantra drinkers? ... think school teachers at any level will modify their brainwashing of kids? :lol:

An "Inconvenient Truth", Mr Gore...? :bag:

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article2062484.ece

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My local newspaper chose to not to publish the UN study, that bovines have more effect that our automobiles or powerplants. Did yours?

864599[/snapback]

I hope if anyone's newspaper does publish it that its better than the garbage you linked to.

From the article:

Burning fuel to produce fertiliser to grow feed, to produce meat and to transport it - and clearing vegetation for grazing - produces 9 per cent of all emissions of carbon dioxide, the most common greenhouse gas.

Cows don't burn fuel to produce the feed, humans do. Cows also don't transport the produced meat nor do they clear vegetation for grazing - humans do.

How the hell are cows responsible for these emissions? :bag:

They, and you, are taking a report on both the livestock industry's effect and livestock's effect on the environment and just blaming it all on cows. Its quite an important distinction if we are talking about human impact on the environment.

I also find it humorous that they are attempting to compare this to automobiles, yet they are talking about transportation's effect in the livestock industry.

Feeling manipulated, Kool-Aid bow-to-the-popular-left-wing-mantra drinkers? ... laugh.gif

How does this report have any effect on the argument that we, as a species, are accelerating warming effects on the Earth?

My local newspaper chose to not to publish the UN study, that bovines have more effect on climate than our automobiles or powerplants. Did yours?

Feeling manipulated, my Kool-Aid bow-to-the-popular buzz-left-wing-mantra drinkers? ... think school teachers at any level will modify their brainwashing of kids?  :lol:

An "Inconvenient Truth",  Mr Gore...?  :bag:

864599[/snapback]

Michael Moore will present Al Gore with his Oscar come March.

I also find it humorous that they are attempting to compare this to automobiles, yet they are talking about transportation's effect in the livestock industry.

How does this report have any effect on the argument that we, as a species, are accelerating warming effects on the Earth?

864630[/snapback]

Well, you just get on your little bicycle and peddle to NYC and give the UN a good talking to...

:bag:  :lol: Its not the idiots at the UN who said this, its the damn news article that said this.

864696[/snapback]

"A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs."

You must be a lonely fellow, what with your head shoved so far up your colon... :(

"A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs."

You must be a lonely fellow, what with your head shoved so far up your colon... :bag:

864699[/snapback]

Newsflash: The UN didn't write that bit, the author of that article did.

didnt crayonz have a 10 pager on this not too long ago?

864649[/snapback]

I did. I pointed out that Cows are being unfirly targeted because it is mammal flatulence, not just cow flatulence.

I love animals as we all know and I miss Sammy, but if we have to kill all mammals so that we survive, I think we should do it.

my dad, who is responsible for more toxic emissions than some third world countries  :P

864904[/snapback]

If you weren't from between P'burgh and Buffalo (whereabouts?) I'd be compelled to make a joke about what kind of emission you are. :w00t:

I did.  I pointed out that Cows are being unfirly targeted because it is mammal flatulence, not just cow flatulence. 

I love animals as we all know and I miss Sammy, but if we have to kill all mammals so that we survive, I think we should do it.

864722[/snapback]

Mmmmm, dead animals.

Feeling manipulated, my Kool-Aid bow-to-the-popular buzz-left-wing-mantra drinkers? ... think school teachers at any level will modify their brainwashing of kids?  :P

An "Inconvenient Truth",  Mr Gore...?  :w00t:

864599[/snapback]

Excellent subject, Stuckincincy, and I commend you for highlighting the impact cattle and the cattle industry has on the environment and global warming. I would have never picked you for a vegetarian proponent.

Here is the link to the actual UN-FAO Newsroom piece, Livestock a major threat to environment, and here is the link to the actual report, unlike the biased, cherry-picked summary that was originally linked to, Livestock’s long shadow.

From the UN-FAO Newsroom summary...

According to a new report published by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, the livestock sector generates more greenhouse gas emissions as measured in CO2 equivalent – 18 percent – than transport. It is also a major source of land and water degradation.

[snip]

When emissions from land use and land use change are included, the livestock sector accounts for 9 percent of CO2 deriving from human-related activities, but produces a much larger share of even more harmful greenhouse gases. It generates 65 percent of human-related nitrous oxide, which has 296 times the Global Warming Potential (GWP) of CO2. Most of this comes from manure.

And it accounts for respectively 37 percent of all human-induced methane (23 times as warming as CO2), which is largely produced by the digestive system of ruminants, and 64 percent of ammonia, which contributes significantly to acid rain.

Livestock now use 30 percent of the earth’s entire land surface, mostly permanent pasture but also including 33 percent of the global arable land used to producing feed for livestock, the report notes. As forests are cleared to create new pastures, it is a major driver of deforestation, especially in Latin America where, for example, some 70 percent of former forests in the Amazon have been turned over to grazing.

Clearly I'm not as deranged as Stuckincincy as to suggest that we stop eating meat and refrain from using livestock-derived products. I had a nice steak last night. But the report is interesting, nonetheless, in pointing out the huge impact that livestock agriculture has globally. Kudos for Stuckincincy for having the nuts to take a position even more controversial than that of Al Gore.

I did.  I pointed out that Cows are being unfirly targeted because it is mammal flatulence, not just cow flatulence. 

864722[/snapback]

yeah let's kill them all! i'm a volunteer for eating a t-bone everyday till i die! it'll be my contribution to our Earth!

Excellent subject, Stuckincincy, and I commend you for highlighting the impact cattle and the cattle industry has on the environment and global warming.  I would have never picked you for a vegetarian proponent.

Clearly I'm not as deranged as Stuckincincy as to suggest that we stop eating meat and refrain from using livestock-derived products.  I had a nice steak last night.  But the report is interesting, nonetheless, in pointing out the huge impact that livestock agriculture has globally.  Kudos for Stuckincincy for having the nuts to take a position even more controversial than that of Al Gore.

865305[/snapback]

I commend StuckinCincy too--in the long run, a vegetarian food economy makes a lot of sense. Less germs, waste, pollution, deforestation, and more sustainable food production. And here I'd always assumed StuckinCincy was a mental midget.

I commend StuckinCincy too--in the long run, a vegetarian food economy makes a lot of sense. Less germs, waste, pollution, deforestation, and more sustainable food production. And here I'd always assumed StuckinCincy was a mental midget.

865542[/snapback]

Child, the bent for self-felt sophistry has been detected and laughed at centuries ago. Nothing new about you...you fall in lock step.

One hopes you can do better than offer an attempt to turn a citation from a newspaper into a smarmy backhander, but seems adding your personal flavor of assumption, smug denigration, is needed to to carry the day in your mind. Gives you quite a rush, one imagines...

But that is your stock-in-trade...snide innenudo etc., eh? :w00t:

May I suggest you debate the issue?...it's a concept to consider...

Edited by stuckincincy