[ot] AWOL soldier seeks refuge in Canada

udonkey

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why hasn't this been moved to either the off topic board or the politics board?

865466[/snapback]

Because he is a Bills' fan... This is a Bills' related thread... :w00t::P

Read the article... :)

Just my opinion, this is one of the rare cases it should stay... And all the "ostriches" that want to hide their head in the sand have to deal with it...

Again... :) x2.

:doh:

Agreed...this kind of stuff gets the right wing aroused over there on the nazi board!

865471[/snapback]

...Yet, keeping it here... You really see how "liberal" the main board is... :w00t::P Goes against some things... :):)

I may be a political beast and love arguing... Sorry, that is just me.

Tecnically, IMO... Why would it move?

I wonder what the Bills' org sez about this dolt?

Did I keep the thread on the Bills'? :doh:;)

Very off topic, so I hope it gets moved.

Every person needs to make their own choices in life, and after serving for almost a decade, this guy decided he couldn't take it anymore. He was in the one career (other than maybe the mob) where your options to change your mind and walk away are limited. He didn't desert his men on the front lines out of cowardice, he just decided he couldn't do it anymore, and drove north.

I have not served (or played pro football), but I think we all get an idea of how difficult it is, especially in a war like this one. I admire the courage of every man and woman serving there right now, and I want to see them all come home safely as soon as possible. These men and women do not make the decisions, they just serve loyally and courageously.

Opposing flawed decision making by a president that has cost thousands of these servicemen their lives is not opposing our troops, but instead supporting them. We as citizens have to make sure our government makes the right decisions every step of the way when putting our troops in harm's way, because that is supporting our troops. They don't get to ask if it is the right thing, they have to follow orders. But the country has to ask if it is the right thing and make sure our troops are put in a situation to serve and survive justly and for the benefit of our country and the world.

But again, I think each person needs to make their own decisions and lead a free life, and while I do not think this person did the noblest and bravest thing for his country, and should have done a better job of decision making over his ten years to make sure he was prepared for commitments he made, only he knows the totality of his experience and the situation with his family, and as a free man if this is the decision he arrived at while NOT deployed, we have to accept it.

Yeah..I gotta feel really inferior to guys who insist they be addressed in capital letters.  I have a colleague here who was a commander in the Navy.  He says the reasons marines are on ships is that having sheep would have been too obvious! :P

865402[/snapback]

Well someone has to be on the ship to take care of the hot Navy women that are on there now. (although few and far between) The Navy men are too busy packing each other's fudge. :w00t:

Very off topic, so I hope it gets moved.

Every person needs to make their own choices in life, and after serving for almost a decade, this guy decided he couldn't take it anymore.  He was in the one career (other than maybe the mob) where your options to change your mind and walk away are limited.  He didn't desert his men on the front lines out of cowardice, he just decided he couldn't do it anymore, and drove north.

I have not served (or played pro football), but I think we all get an idea of how difficult it is, especially in a war like this one.  I admire the courage of every man and woman serving there right now, and I want to see them all come home safely as soon as possible.  These men and women do not make the decisions, they just serve loyally and courageously.

Opposing flawed decision making by a president that has cost thousands of these servicemen their lives is not opposing our troops, but instead supporting them.  We as citizens have to make sure our government makes the right decisions every step of the way when putting our troops in harm's way, because that is supporting our troops.  They don't get to ask if it is the right thing, they have to follow orders.  But the country has to ask if it is the right thing and make sure our troops are put in a situation to serve and survive justly and for the benefit of our country and the world.

But again, I think each person needs to make their own decisions and lead a free life, and while I do not think this person did the noblest and bravest thing for his country, and should have done a better job of decision making over his ten years to make sure he was prepared for commitments he made, only he knows the totality of his experience and the situation with his family, and as a free man if this is the decision he arrived at while NOT deployed, we have to accept it.

865499[/snapback]

Many here might not agree... I think you summed it up very nicely...

Nuking them may be an option.  The world is just waiting for Iran to launch first.

865120[/snapback]

No offense Mate, but no... the world isn't waiting (nor wishing) that Iran will "launch first". The world just wishes that the US tones down it's foreign "policy" a little bit.

Isn't it obvious that the current military path, (since 911) has done nothing but make matters worse?

No offense Mate, but no... the world isn't waiting (nor wishing) that Iran will "launch first".  The world just wishes that the US tones down it's foreign "policy" a little bit.

Isn't it obvious that the current military path, (since 911) has done nothing but make matters worse?

865764[/snapback]

You know what, you're right. Perhaps if we just TALK to Al Quaeda and the rest of the Arab world, maybe then they'll leave us be.

Maybe if we all convert to Islam and give up our way of life they'll stop crashing planes into skyscrapers.

The world may not be wishing for Iran to launch first, but they sure as hell aren't doing anything to KEEP them from doing it.

Well...I'll say the same thing I said BEFORE we went into Iraq, for which I was roundly criticized. Those who have never actually been in combat seem to find it easy to start a war, with no idea what it all entails. I pointed out we needed a very good reason to go in. None of the reasons given to date hold water. I pointed out that going in was easy, staying in was hard...no one bought that idea. I pointed out that the Shia, the Sunni and the Kurds had very differing attitudes about each other and their rightful place...we didn't buy that. Most important I pointed out that wars had a tendency to take on a life of their own. This one certainly has so far. We are more and more irrelevant to the outcome of the situation. The Iranians, the Syrians, the Saudis and the Turks will have a significant interest. All we are is a stopgap (if that) to what is to come. Pull out and let the games begin, or we are going to be in the middle of a mess far bigger than we ever anticipated. Bush had better stop mincing around and meeting with every person he can meet with and make some decisions. I'm starting to wonder if his model in government was Nero.

You know what, you're right. Perhaps if we just TALK to Al Quaeda and the rest of the Arab world, maybe then they'll leave us be.

Maybe if we all convert to Islam and give up our way of life they'll stop crashing planes into skyscrapers.

The world may not be wishing for Iran to launch first, but they sure as hell aren't doing anything to KEEP them from doing it.

865770[/snapback]

So...

are you suggesting that the current militaristic path is proving effective?

oh boy.

Well...I'll say the same thing I said BEFORE we went into Iraq, for which I was roundly criticized.  Those who have never actually been in combat seem to find it easy to start a war, with no idea what it all entails.  I pointed out we needed a very good reason to go in.  None of the reasons given to date hold water.  I pointed out that going in was easy, staying in was hard...no one bought that idea.  I pointed out that the Shia, the Sunni and the Kurds had very differing attitudes about each other and their rightful place...we didn't buy that.  Most important I pointed out that wars had a tendency to take on a life of their own.  This one certainly has so far.  We are more and more irrelevant to the outcome of the situation.  The Iranians, the Syrians, the Saudis and the Turks will have a significant interest.  All we are is a stopgap (if that) to what is to come.  Pull out and let the games begin, or we are going to be in the middle of a mess far bigger than we ever anticipated.  Bush had better stop mincing around and meeting with every person he can meet with and make some decisions.  I'm starting to wonder if his model in government was Nero.

865786[/snapback]

It's not that no one buys those ideas...lots of people said that.

It's that no one buys you're delivery. You consistently act like a total idiot.

So...

are you suggesting that the current militaristic path is proving effective?

oh boy.

865793[/snapback]

Maybe not, but it's far preferable to rolling over and giving the Arab world everything it wants.

Here's an idea I have about "the rest of the world." You don't like American foreign policy? Great! Then don't come wailing to us for billions when an earthquake/typhoon/tsunami/whatever wipes out 10,000 people.

Don't like American foreign policy? Fine. We'll let YOU deal with the North Koreans and Iranians. We'll see how much gets done.

Still don't like American foreign policy? Okay, why don't we just let Israel have its way with their neighbors? See what happens then.

I love how the people who benefit most from American military might (Euros, Kiwis, Japanese, S. Koreans and others) are always the first to criticize said power.

Maybe not, but it's far preferable to rolling over and giving the Arab world everything it wants.

Here's an idea I have about "the rest of the world." You don't like American foreign policy? Great! Then don't come wailing to us for billions when an earthquake/typhoon/tsunami/whatever wipes out 10,000 people.

Don't like American foreign policy? Fine. We'll let YOU deal with the North Koreans and Iranians. We'll see how much gets done.

Still don't like American foreign policy? Okay, why don't we just let Israel have its way with their neighbors? See what happens then.

I love how the people who benefit most from American military might (Euros, Kiwis, Japanese, S. Koreans and others) are always the first to criticize said power.

865803[/snapback]

Piss off.

You're a perfect example of the term, "The Ugly American"

Have fun hiding in your house in constant fear of all of the people out to get you.

(Al Queda, Iran, North Korea, your own neighbour, illegal immigrants...) Boo!

Did you buy enough plastic sheeting and duct tape??

I like living in a nation that has no real enemies. (Well, maybe the Aussies have a problem with us when our All Blacks kick their butts in the tri-nations.)

Just make damn sure, (I mean DAMN sure) that the mushroom cloud your city leaves behind doesn't affect our sunny blue skies down here, ok.

wanker.

865803[/snapback]

Problem is, we can't. We are too dependant on foreign oil. If we developed a locally produced, reliable energy source, then we could follow a more isolationist policy, which would be a good thing. Till then, we are forced to be in all of these situations.

Well...I'll say the same thing I said BEFORE we went into Iraq, for which I was roundly criticized

We are in a very challenging situation right now. This is not a time to play the blame game - we are at war.

I pointed out we needed a very good reason to go in

We did: to find WMDs , to make sure the smoking gun isn't a mushroom cloud, to defeat the terrorists , to bring democracy to the Middle East

I pointed out that going in was easy, staying in was hard...no one bought that idea

We never said it would be easy. That Mission Accomplished banner was a mistake - we are still trying to find out who was responsible for its placement.

We are more and more irrelevant to the outcome of the situation

The Iraqi people want America to lead them to freedom

Pull out and let the games begin

Cut and Run!!! We aren't leaving until we attain victory. You are a Defeat Monkey - you want the terrorists to win.

Bush had better stop mincing around and meeting with every person he can meet with and make some decisions

Bush is the decider! People just don't appreciate the difficult decisions he has to make on a daily basis - they just can't deal with that level of complexity.

[/Republican Talking Points]

It's not that no one buys those ideas...lots of people said that.

It's that no one buys you're delivery.  You consistently act like a total idiot.

865794[/snapback]

:P:)

He is no more an idiot than the rest of us... You, me included.

How can one help being "I told you so?"... Or mocking out buzzwords? You just don't like it because it flies in YOUR face...

Like I said... We would have a real hoot going back on this board and hearing the lame arse responses people were spouting (myself included).

Doesn't everybody's delivery suck when they prove other's wrong?... I don't find the need to "gift wrap" anything... Who cares about bedside manners when you are dealing with this sh*t.

:w00t:

:lol:  :huh:

He is no more an idiot than the rest of us... You, me included.

How can one help being "I told you so?"... Or mocking out buzzwords?  You just don't like it because it flies in YOUR face...

Like I said... We would have a real hoot going back on this board and hearing the lame arse responses people were spouting (myself included).

Doesn't everybody's delivery suck when they prove other's wrong?... I don't find the need to "gift wrap" anything... Who cares about bedside manners when you are dealing with this sh*t.

:thumbsup:

865865[/snapback]

It's not about right or wrong. It's about posting "FLIGHTSUIT! HALLIBURTON!" thirty times a thread and getting in the way of other people who might be trying to actually discuss something.

Tenny and I probably agree on more than we disagree on, politically. That doesn't make him an ass. Him acting like an ass is what makes him an ass.