Salary cap space

I am sure by the time 2007 week 1 kicks off, we will have the most by far...

862773[/snapback]

If you can sign players that can perform, then spend it. Don't spend it just to spend it. Each year I'm amazed at how some really bad teams are tight against the cap. Can teams like the Raiders really be spending $100 million this year on the crap they have?

If you can sign players that can perform, then spend it.  Don't spend it just to spend it.  Each year I'm amazed at how some really bad teams are tight against the cap.  Can teams like the Raiders really be spending $100 million this year on the crap they have?

862783[/snapback]

How about the Redskins? They offerd me 3 years at 10 mil to be the towel boy.

Isn't San Fran's owner even cheaper than Ralph?

862807[/snapback]

I don't think Ralph is cheap in the sense of spending up to the cap...he's proven that he'll do that over the years. What he is reluctant to do is give out the astronomical signing bonuses that, up front, come right of his pocket (a'la Danny Boy Snyder).

With a new coaching staff and front office, it probably didn't make sense to pursue high profile FA's this year until Marv had a better handle on the core team. Next year, I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if we end up with so much cap room.

That's the best news I have had in a while.

862754[/snapback]

I don't know about that. The bills have excess salary cap, but do they have the hard cash to sign new players and lock up their own good players. I don't think Ralph will be able to shell out more than 25M in signing bonus totally.

The huge increase in the salary cap has been a back door way to help out some of the big spending teams like the Redskins, Dolphins, Tampa Bay etc. who are all way over the cap. These teams make splashing headlines during the off season taking some of the space away from NBA/NHL and Baseball. I am sure the NFL wants to keep that going to keep people hooked on to the NFL even during the off season.

We will probably go into Week 1 with the most space.

863077[/snapback]

Don't underestimate Marv Levy.

My bet is we re-sign Clements, Fletcher and Kelsay (or at least 2 of 3).

We will go after a starting guard/tackle

If Gandy does work out as the LG, then we will have to re-sign him too.

That will take up a good chunk of our cap space.

We have that much cap space because of all the contracts that are up this year. It will take a lot to re-sign those guys, and I definitely want us to re-sign most of them.

Don't underestimate Marv Levy.

My bet is we re-sign Clements, Fletcher and Kelsay (or at least 2 of 3).

We will go after a starting guard/tackle

If Gandy does work out as the LG, then we will have to re-sign him too.

That will take up a good chunk of our cap space.

863087[/snapback]

I agree,but i believe Marv will continue to look for players that are young and can grow with this team.I dont really see him going after vetrean lineman.I think we resign Nate,London but any F/As coming into town are gonna be young.I think he will continue to build on what he started last year.Young players that have plenty of upside and can grow together.

You guys need to look at the total picture with this "cap" and pour cold water on your boner....

For starters, Players are going to demand BIGGER contracts.... Which means shorter years and more money spread out over those years. Teams like Dallas and Washington will eat at that and get in major cap trouble.....

Signing Bonus.... Ralph cant hold a glass of water to the big boys here. I remember not a few years back rumors flying around about having to sell pictures just to pay Andre Reed's bonus. Also, he had to take monies away from his other companies and interests to keep the early 90's Bills together.

On top of everything else, it is not easy for Buffalo to grab FA's... We are a cold weather team and Buffalo is not Florida folks... We will have to pay more! I figure we will see some CRAZY signing bonus contracts and TONS of upfront monies pushed around this off season...

Dont get too crazy guys... Its great that money is there but.... Ralph is not going to spend it all... Id like to see us just keep our own players and this team quit being a friggin baseball farm team for the rest of the league...