LAMP - need to VENT

Richmond_Bills

My company is reorganizing its management structure and my current boss is taking a new role therefore opening up a spot above. I (along with my 2 other peers) applied for the job. My boss (who has never been anything other than upfront with me) said that he recommended me for the spot to the hiring person.

Well, a good bit of time later, I find out that both of my peers were interviewed, the interviewing is over and I didn't even get an interview!!!! I made my boss aware of it and he seemed shocked and said that it HAS to be a mistake. He is going to look in to it and get back to me. Any thoughts, similar situations to share, etc???

In my experience in a number of employment situations, this is a sign that your promotion potential there is extremely limited and you might want to begin looking around. Either your boss is not telling you the truth, or someone up top has a very bad impression of you to not even give a courtesy interview. Take a deep breath, pull out the resume and get looking for a better job. If you look for reasons they will probably lie to you or worse yet tell you that you don't have promotion potential. Of course that is usually bull sh--, but they are holding the reinds and if THEY think that that's all that counts.

My company is reorganizing its management structure and my current boss is taking a new role therefore opening up a spot above.  I (along with my 2 other peers) applied for the job.  My boss (who has never been anything other than upfront with me) said that he recommended me for the spot to the hiring person.

Well, a good bit of time later, I find out that both of my peers were interviewed, the interviewing is over and I didn't even get an interview!!!!  I made my boss aware of it and he seemed shocked and said that it HAS to be a mistake.  He is going to look in to it and get back to me.  Any thoughts, similar situations to share, etc???

857861[/snapback]

My experience is the employer already knows if they want an internal candidate, or will go outside. I've seen where the employer has already decided on an internal choice, and the others are getting the courtesy interview. Is your boss a straight up type of person being honest with you? Or like the other guy said, someone else doesn't think much of you

My experience is the employer already knows if they want an internal candidate, or will go outside.  I've seen where the employer has already decided on an internal choice, and the others are getting the courtesy interview.  Is your boss a straight up type of person being honest with you?  Or like the other guy said, someone else doesn't think much of you

858077[/snapback]

thanks to those that have responded. my boss is very upfront and we are very, very close. he actually called me this afternoon (he is in FL, me VA) and he is very bothered by the whole situation. i didn't mention before but the job is for 4 positions nationwide and they had a ton of applicants. apparently he heard through one of his peers that one of their people were not interviewed and it turned out HR "left them off the list accidentally". he is still unclear as to what happened in my situation, but he has a call in.

thanks to those that have responded.  my boss is very upfront and we are very, very close.  he actually called me this afternoon (he is in FL, me VA) and he is very bothered by the whole situation.  i didn't mention before but the job is for 4 positions nationwide and they had a ton of applicants.  apparently he heard through one of his peers that one of their people were not interviewed and it turned out HR "left them off the list accidentally".  he is still unclear as to what happened in my situation, but he has a call in.

858092[/snapback]

Its nice that you have someone going to bat for you. Good Luck. :D

thanks to those that have responded.  my boss is very upfront and we are very, very close.  he actually called me this afternoon (he is in FL, me VA) and he is very bothered by the whole situation.  i didn't mention before but the job is for 4 positions nationwide and they had a ton of applicants.  apparently he heard through one of his peers that one of their people were not interviewed and it turned out HR "left them off the list accidentally".  he is still unclear as to what happened in my situation, but he has a call in.

858092[/snapback]

What do you do corporate recruiting or something?

yes...formal job posting process

858210[/snapback]

Yikes. That is a wierd one. I can say I did get a promotion once due to a recommendation and was told during the "interview" that I had the job but could not tell anybody because they needed to go through the "process" of interviewing all of the internal candidates that had applied for the job. Maybe they already know they are going to hire you, or maybe they are just blowing smoke up your corn hole.

858092[/snapback]

Is your boss in good stead? If he's on the outs...

The problem is that since they have already hired all the people to fill the position, you might be SOL because of a mistake on their end (leaving you off the list by accident) which would suck for you. Most places aren't going to redo the interview process now or let someone go that they just hired because they forgot someone on their list.

The problem is that since they have already hired all the people to fill the position, you might be SOL because of a mistake on their end (leaving you off the list by accident) which would suck for you. Most places aren't going to redo the interview process now or let someone go that they just hired because they forgot someone on their list.

858571[/snapback]

Quick update. I was contacted by Corporate Recruiting today and have a phone interview at 1:00. I called the boss and he said that he received a call telling him that it was an oversight on their part.

I am still a bit skeptical and one side of me feels like I'm only being interviewed because he made a stink, but the other side of me wants to knock them dead and leave them wondering why I wasn't on the original list.

Thanks to all of those that replied and sent P.M.s. I'll keep you posted.

Good Luck!!!

858781[/snapback]

Just had an hour-long chat. I blew her out of the water. I could feel her excitement with the answers that I gave. Even if I don't get this position, the lady that I spoke with will be my new boss' boss and I think I'm in a good spot now.

She apologized and said that there was a clerical error and I was left off the original list (as was another guy that works for her).

Thanks again for all the support.

Just had an hour-long chat.  I blew her out of the water.  I could feel her excitement with the answers that I gave.  Even if I don't get this position, the lady that I spoke with will be my new boss' boss and I think I'm in a good spot now. 

She apologized and said that there was a clerical error and I was left off the original list (as was another guy that works for her). 

Thanks again for all the support.

858873[/snapback]

Congrats....glad to hear that it went well...hopefully everything works out for ya

time to relax with an ice cold...

:)