The Refs--AGAIN!!!

richNjoisy

I saw about 5 minutes of NYG - DAL.  The Giants looked like a bunch of red polyps with those jerseys.  :blush:

Yes - a lot of inconsistency. In the same game, it's not unusual to see a receiver get his teeth pulled out, but no flag.  And then later, a pinky-finger tap draws flags from 2 or 3 officials.

857019[/snapback]

The one that really kills me is roughing the passer, which I've renamed the "Tom Brady special," in that if someone brushes Tom Brady's ankle .2 seconds after a pass, the flag is thrown. If someone levels JP Losman 2 seconds after he's delivered the pass, nothing.

This league likes to protect its stars. If you're not one of them, you're not in on the benefits.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

um, no. it doesn't come out in the wash. the bills were clearly screwed on four important plays, by my count. the chargers were screwed on nada.

856034[/snapback]

um, yes. It DOES come out in the wash as I'm pretty sure there have been games where the Bills were on the receiving end of some bad calls more so than their particular opponents.

My 2nd point is, if you want to be a quality football team, you cant put yourself in a position where a bad call or 2 can break you. Take care of business and the refs no matter how bad they may be will not affect the outcome of the game.

The bottom line is this, whether it is intentional or just psychological it happens every year.

There's no such thing as a "home job", instead it's a "have job" in the NFL (& NBA, I don't follow hockey, so I can't say whether it's the same in the NHL).

By this time of year the haves & have nots are established. 

The "haves" get the breaks.  It's been that way for years.

For whatever reason, awe of superstars, unintentionally expecting the better team to actually be better, or just plain incompetence, the refs give the breaks to the team they EXPECT to win.

As a result, the team that is expected to win gets the breaks from the refs. 

It may just be as simple as they are fans of the game and get carried away admiring the good teams.

A more sinister thought would be they want to prop up the best teams so that they are more interesting come playoff time.  Two 14-2 teams meeting for the AFC championship, might appear to be better than two 11-5 teams.  I don't believe that, but a conspiracy nut easily could.

Think about it, we seldom have had games to remember as poorly officiated, years later, when we were an elite team.  We seem to get screwed when the team is perceived as mediocre or worse and the other team is better or has a popular player loved by all (officials?).

When we get good again, the refs will be on our side-right now with our current non playoff string, we'll be playing against more than 11 guys when an elite team is our opponent.

856352[/snapback]

How does that explain the Patriots having around 10 penalties called on them yesterday?

um, yes.  It DOES come out in the wash as I'm pretty sure there have been games where the Bills were on the receiving end of some bad calls more so than their particular opponents.           

My 2nd point is, if you want to be a quality football team, you cant put yourself in a position where a bad call or 2 can break you.          Take care of business and the refs no matter how bad they may be will not affect the outcome of the game.

857048[/snapback]

What if you are putting yourself in a good position and there are 3 bad calls in the span of four plays? I'm sorry, it's going to kill momentum, and it did exactly that for the Bills yesterday.

If you want to make a real argument, I'll give it to you right here. JP, seeing that his receiver has been interfered with, does tend to appear to throw the ball into that spot thinking that he can draw the PI call. I've seen him look for it right after he throws the ball a couple times. I could live with him doing that a whole lot less.

How does that explain the Patriots having around 10 penalties called on them yesterday?

857051[/snapback]

In week #12, against CHI, NE wasn't flagged until 4:07 left in the 3rd quarter.

In week #3, CIN at PIT, the Steelers went the entire game without an on-field penalty...they did commit 2 dead ball fouls.

How does one explain that?

What really steamed me about the refs was the Peerless TD catch.

One official IMMEDIATELY signaled "Force Out" (making a two-handed shoving signal) which makes the two feet irrelevant. What happens? They go to replay. A defender forcing a WR out isn't reviewable (I'm fairly certain it's a judgment call).

The only PI call I thought they missed was the one on Reed in the 4th quarter and supposedly, the ball was tipped on the way and once that happens, there is no such thing as pass interference.  Anything goes once the ball has been tipped.  I have no idea if it really was tipped as I was at the game and couldn't check replays carefully.  If that was the case then the referees got that call right.  Does anyone know if that ball was tipped?

857010[/snapback]

Replays showed that the ball wasn't tipped at all. I don't see how they thought it WAS tipped, to be honest with you.

They missed a PI two or three plays before that as well, when JP threw to Evans on the right sidelines. And between those two plays was the Price force-out (causing his heel to land a couple inches out of bounds) that wasn't called a force out. :blush:

The problem with the "play better the rest of the game so a call doesn't bother you" crowd is that with all the parity in the league today, it's relatively easy for the refs to affect the outcome of the game with a couple of calls. Nobody's really blowing other teams out (for the most part). It just doesn't happen frequently in the league anymore. So when you get screwed on three out of four plays, on a drive that could've tied the game (or put Buffalo up by 4!) it's hard to ignore. And that's ignoring the other bad calls during the game. A call here or there makes you think "mistake," but three bad calls out of four plays makes you think "screwed." And people who know me know that I'm the one usually defending the refs!

CW

After a few of those calls and non-calls, I thought an appropriate beginning to an article about that game would be:

"The Buffalo Bills' 12th Man walked gingerly out of Ralph Wilson Stadium on Sunday after the referees..."

um, yes.   It DOES come out in the wash as I'm pretty sure there have been games where the Bills were on the receiving end of some bad calls more so than their particular opponents.           

My 2nd point is, if you want to be a quality football team, you cant put yourself in a position where a bad call or 2 can break you.          Take care of business and the refs no matter how bad they may be will not affect the outcome of the game.

857048[/snapback]

evidence? or was "just give it to 'em" a non-decisive call?