Don't plan on a conservative Buffalo attack

1billsfan

The light appears to have gone on for JP Losman and the coaching staff will not want to mess with his recent success. Plus he's got the arm to throw in a strong wind. Not saying McGahee isn't a big part of the plan, but I definately see JP keeping the keys and throwing it around 25-30 times. Handcuffing Losman, Evans and Parrish would be pointless now that they've got things rolling now.

The light appears to have gone on for JP Losman and the coaching staff will not want to mess with his recent success. Plus he's got the arm to throw in a strong wind. Not saying McGahee isn't a big part of the plan, but I definately see JP keeping the keys and throwing it around 25-30 times. Handcuffing Losman, Evans and Parrish would be pointless now that they've got things rolling now.

853798[/snapback]

My concern is ice. Ice on the field, frozen moisture on the ball. You're probably right that JP has the arm strength to whip it good in the wind - although I don't care WHO'S throwing the ball, it's going to weave around at the end of a 40-yard toss. Short- and intermediate-range throws will be the ticket of the day. Who knows? Maybe our receivers are more accustomed to expect non-linear flight paths(?).

This front came through like a ton-o-bricks, and the field is already soaked. There will be precipitation coming for the next 48 hours, and the night time temperatures are going to be well below freezing. so the field's going to be slick. I don't see either team succeeding with the long ball on Sunday. But you know something? Even if I take my beer goggles off, I think the crappy conditions will HELP be an equalizer. I still don't think that WE'RE totally accustomed to this crap, because it's been a mild autumn. But someone brought it up a couple of days ago, and they're right - if we're adversely affected by this environment, it's going to be a downright reality warp for the Chargers. I think you're correct in that the game plan will call for more tear-it-up than we saw in the nadir that was Indy, but get ready for the coaching staff to curtail things FAST if JP starts misfiring, or if the receivers start dropping passes or fumbling a lot (this is my big worry).

Ice. :D

I think that there will be a more conservative gameplan this week. We want to keep the Chargers offense off of the field and control the clock. The only way to do this is to run.

If it snows, this will be even more likely. Jauron is a conservatively minded coach when it comes to offense. He will want to prevent turnovers in the bad weather -- he will do this by running.

I think that there will be a more conservative gameplan this week.  We want to keep the Chargers offense off of the field and control the clock.  The only way to do this is to run. 

If it snows, this will be even more likely.  Jauron is a conservatively minded coach when it comes to offense.  He will want to prevent turnovers in the bad weather -- he will do this by running.

853836[/snapback]

The problem is that Willis still isn't 100% and Thomas is nursing an injury as well. Unless they give Williams a heavy load :D I'm not sure the Bills can run a lot this weekend.

I disagree.

Keeping LT on the sidelines is an absolute MUST. You say the "light has turned on" for JP and the offense -- maybe true.

But the light bulb is busted for the run defense and LT will eat them up for lunch.

I'd say a repeat of the Indy gameplan is in order with the hopes that this time around, the goal line offense is actually productive.

853798[/snapback]

I think that there will be a more conservative gameplan this week.  We want to keep the Chargers offense off of the field and control the clock.  The only way to do this is to run. 

If it snows, this will be even more likely.  Jauron is a conservatively minded coach when it comes to offense.  He will want to prevent turnovers in the bad weather -- he will do this by running.

853836[/snapback]

We'll see on Sunday. I think the coaches have a team that's ready to burst offensively and will not throw the wet blanket of a "conservative" game plan on the fire. Besides, it's well known that the receivers have a huge advantage in bad conditions because they know were they're going which would lead to a couple of occassions of a wide open Evans, Price or Parrish. I'm don't see Indy game plan Part II.

I disagree.

Keeping LT on the sidelines is an absolute MUST.  You say the "light has turned on" for JP and the offense -- maybe true.

But the light bulb is busted for the run defense and LT will eat them up for lunch. 

I'd say a repeat of the Indy gameplan is in order with the hopes that this time around, the goal line offense is actually productive.

853843[/snapback]

Only if the Chargers game plan is to run up the middle. To be fair, I haven't had a lot of film time with San Diego, so maybe this is their modus operandi, and we'll get kee-illd. But I believe the field conditions will make for a bey-atch-and-a-half for either team to run wide, run sweeps, run reverses. Too damn slippery, and slippery will lead to caution, and to fumbles.

Totally naive question, but isn't the field heated (in a sense) to handle this type of weather? Not sure why I think that except I possibly read it somewhere.

853846[/snapback]

With all the money that's gone into this place, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Sorry, had to open another one. :D

No, that can't be right. Huge energy expenditure being funded by taxpayers for perhaps five Sundays. The more I think about this thread, the more cynical I become! I guess it's possible, but WOW that's a lot of kW. You could perhaps get away with it using passive solar, but that would have meant a tremendous amount of foresight in 1998 when the stadium was redone. People weren't thinking alternative energy when oil was $40 per bbl. Anyone have more details?

In any case, a heated field won't affect the ball. That's going to freeze up real hard real fast once it's thrown. It'll be interesting to see how many balls are dropped.

With all the money that's gone into this place, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Sorry, had to open another one. :lol:

No, that can't be right.  Huge energy expenditure being funded by taxpayers for perhaps five Sundays.  The more I think about this thread, the more cynical I become!  I guess it's possible, but WOW that's a lot of kW.  You could perhaps get away with it using passive solar, but that would have meant a tremendous amount of foresight in 1998 when the stadium was redone.  People weren't thinking alternative energy when oil was $40 per bbl.  Anyone have more details?

In any case, a heated field won't affect the ball.  That's going to freeze up real hard real fast once it's thrown.  It'll be interesting to see how many balls are dropped.

853857[/snapback]

Nothing personal but, I just don't see the ball freezing up from ice problems and as far as the field goes, I don't think it's heated but, I do know that it is heated in the new stadiums like Pitts.and Philly. :D

My concern is ice.  Ice on the field, frozen moisture on the ball.  You're probably right that JP has the arm strength to whip it good in the wind - although I don't care WHO'S throwing the ball, it's going to weave around at the end of a 40-yard toss.  Short- and intermediate-range throws will be the ticket of the day.  Who knows?  Maybe our receivers are more accustomed to expect non-linear flight paths(?).

This front came through like a ton-o-bricks, and the field is already soaked.  There will be precipitation coming for the next 48 hours, and the night time temperatures are going to be well below freezing. so the field's going to be slick.  I don't see either team succeeding with the long ball on Sunday.  But you know something?  Even if I take my beer goggles off, I think the crappy conditions will HELP be an equalizer.  I still don't think that WE'RE totally accustomed to this crap, because it's been a mild autumn.  But someone brought it up a couple of days ago, and they're right - if we're adversely affected by this environment, it's going to be a downright reality warp for the Chargers.  I think you're correct in that the game plan will call for more tear-it-up than we saw in the nadir that was Indy, but get ready for the coaching staff to curtail things FAST if JP starts misfiring, or if the receivers start dropping passes or fumbling a lot (this is my big worry).

Ice.  :D

853835[/snapback]

In a way, I would rather have them be able to pass the ball ie less LT

Nothing personal but, I just don't see the ball freezing up from ice problems and as far as the field goes, I don't think it's heated but, I do know that it is heated in the new stadiums like Pitts.and Philly. :D

853887[/snapback]

I guess upon rereading this the thought of a "frozen ball" doesn't represent what I meant. What I'm thinking of is how fast you'll get a layer of frozen water on leather. It happens in seconds, and it makes the ball real slippery.

I know, I know. Stop overthinking it, dumbass. It's football. :lol: At the end of it all, I think the conditions will equalize more in our favor than against us...but I don't know if it's going to be enough to overcome a very talented Chargers team.

So why do I actually feel optimistic? Too much Kool-Aid in the water supply? :lol:

853836[/snapback]

Yeah, we've gotta get that 3.7 yards per carry running game involved. lol

McGahee's explosiveness is allowing him that league leading 3.9 yards per carry.

It should be interesting to see if we can hold Tomlinson to fewer than 200 rushing yards. I would imagine that running won't be in our arsenal in the 3rd quarter.

Yeah, we've gotta get that 3.7 yards per carry running game involved.  lol 

McGahee's explosiveness is allowing him that league leading 3.9 yards per carry. 

It should be interesting to see if we can hold Tomlinson to fewer than 200 rushing yards.  I would imagine that running won't be in our arsenal in the 3rd quarter.

854186[/snapback]

As crazy as it sounds, our best weapon has become our passing game. Add to this, San Diego's starting free safty is out for tommorows game and no Castillo who's one heck of a pass rusher...there's just no way I see the Bills go into a bleed the clock game plan. Win, lose or draw they won't have any bullets left in the barrel after this one.

The hallmark of a good coaching staff is gameplanning that involves exploiting an opponents weaknesses and taking away their strength. I think we've seen the beginning of this over the course of the past few weeks with a mix of conservative / aggressive game plans depending on who we are facing.

The Chargers are a tremendous passr ushing team, I think they lead the league in sacks, and Merriman is back. It would be foolish to come out and start with 7 step drops and the long ball. I'd say a short to medium passing game (3-5 step drops) mixed in with a lot of Willis / A-train would be the way to go. You have to go deep every now and then to take your shot and keep them honest, but I don't think you'll see too many long developing deep pass patterns called. Getting the TE in the middle against their back-up free safety would be a plus.

The Charger's offense is excellent both passing and rushing, but obviously the key to slowing them down is to try and limit the damage LT can do to you and make Rivers get the ball to other people to make plays. I'm not as worried about LT rushing (how much worse can our run D get) as I am about him catching the ball out of the backfield. Our D has shown a tremendous ability to ignore the backs coming out of the backfield and have given up huge chunks of yardage to simply swing passes.

RTB

I disagree.

Keeping LT on the sidelines is an absolute MUST.  You say the "light has turned on" for JP and the offense -- maybe true.

853843[/snapback]

Want a good way to keep LT off the field? Get up by 2-3 TDs.

Then they have to pass.

Want a good way to keep LT off the field? Get up by 2-3 TDs.

Then they have to pass.

854249[/snapback]

And LT is their second-leading receiver.

Up until then, though, it was a good plan... :thumbdown: