Holy meltdowns, Batman...

It was clear he let up for one of two reasons.

A)  He thought the ball was gone.

B)  He let up thinking if he drilled him it would be a huge penalty.  DE's have to be wary of that these days.

849483[/snapback]

WHAT?!?!

How could he think the ball was gone, he was right there...

I'm SOOOOO glad I'm not a Giants fan today. I have never, ever, EVER seen a DE not tackle a qb when he's got him dead to rights. That play was absurd and an embarrassment to football fans at all levels. Wow.

849479[/snapback]

I'm not going to excuse the guy for letting go but I understand why he did so. This is what happens when you over-protect the QB. If Young had thrown the ball and the guy tackled him it would have been a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down. The DE had no way of knowing if Young had released the ball or not and he made a really bad assumption.

As it is I don't really get why the play wasn't blown dead for being in the grasp. If he thrown him down he could get a penalty but the officials don't blow the whistle so he doesn't have to throw him down? It's almost a lose/lose situation for the D.

I'm SOOOOO glad I'm not a Giants fan today. I have never, ever, EVER seen a DE not tackle a qb when he's got him dead to rights. That play was absurd and an embarrassment to football fans at all levels. Wow.

849479[/snapback]

My buddies and I were trying to think of what the ridiculous Post headline was going to be today in-between periods of the Sabres game.

They went with: "Big Blew" on the front page and "Tackling Dummy" on the back.

We suggested "You Got Vinced," "Eli-minated," "Music City Meltdown."

In today's NY times. they interviewed Kiawaneka (sp?) and he said he thought the ball was gone, so he let up to avoid a penalty. The writer commented that YOung had pumped his arm, and that motion was felt by Kiawaneka (sp?). who assumed the ball had been let go. The accompanying photo shows the defenders' head was down, sort of buried in Young's mid-section, where he would not have seen the ball. Bet he won't stop next time...

WHAT?!?!

How could he think the ball was gone, he was right there...

849493[/snapback]

The only possible explanation that makes sense to me is that Kiwanuka thought he had Young in the grasp and assumed the whistle was going to blow. Combined with what pBills said (avoiding a roughing penalty), that's probably what he was thinking.

Whatever happened to playing until the whistle blows???

That play cost me ol' pocketbook a few pence.

The Giants look like another team that has become fed-up with coach Coughlin. When you have a blowhard coaching you, it can be a good thing if your team is in disaray and needs direction. When your team is good and he still rides you over the top, you get sick of it and stop listening. The Giants are a playoff team, but may mentally chuck it.

Truth be told, even though the Kiwanuka play was critical, Manning didn't help the cause any by his really inaccurate throwing. The boy just doesn't look like he has even a hint of flame in his belly (let alone a fire).

In the post-game press conference, Coughlin called out Manning for that throw and I think it was entirely wrong for Coughlin to do that. Way to earn the respect of your team, Tom !

Truth be told, even though the Kiwanuka play was critical, Manning didn't help the cause any by his really inaccurate throwing. The boy just doesn't look like he has even a hint of flame in his belly (let alone a fire).

In the post-game press conference, Coughlin called out Manning for that throw and I think it was entirely wrong for Coughlin to do that. Way to earn the respect of your team, Tom !

849544[/snapback]

now THAT was a duck.

QUACK....

I'm not going to excuse the guy for letting go but I understand why he did so.  This is what happens when you over-protect the QB.  If Young had thrown the ball and the guy tackled him it would have been a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down.  The DE had no way of knowing if Young had released the ball or not and he made a really bad assumption. 

As it is I don't really get why the play wasn't blown dead for being in the grasp.  If he thrown him down he could get a penalty but the officials don't blow the whistle so he doesn't have to throw him down?  It's almost a lose/lose situation for the D.

849495[/snapback]

he wasn't really in the grasp...it was more of a grab, and push after Kiwi thought that he let go of the ball...