Peyton Manning

MrLocke

The other has to do with the lineage factor. I am sure he got many breaks growing up that other people would not have gotten. If he hadn't got these breaks is he as good as he is now?

847217[/snapback]

You're knocking a guy because he had a good upbringing? :angry:

How does how he became great affect his being great?????

I don't get it(your first point)....if you don't like him you should be happy that he hasn't been able to win in big games.....it's certainly no reason to hate the guy.....the only way you'd be angry at him for this is if you were a colts fan or a P.Manning fan since he would disappoint by losing the big games.....thus leading to resentment.

There a numerous reasons to like & respect Manning. Great ability, work ethic, football brain....etc. There really isn't much about him to cause great antipathy. I think you simply don't like him because you don't like him. That's all well & good.....I don't care whether you do or don't.....don't try & justify your 'can't stand him' attitude for the guy with feeble argument though......either accept you have an unjustified dislike for somebody you've probably never met.....or stop disliking him.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There a numerous reasons to like & respect Manning.  Great ability, work ethic, football brain....etc.  There really isn't much about him to cause great antipathy.

847305[/snapback]

Except for that sexual harassment case with the female trainer back at Tennessee that was a lot more involved than a simple "mooning". The POS should've been thrown out of school if not for Daddy Gump bailing him out... wouldn't have mattered for the school in the end, he never won anything for them anyways. :lol::w00t:

Don't feel too bad, everybody also forgets about Drew's Boston nightclub incident...

"but he's a great guy." :angry:

James had 50 some yards

847289[/snapback]

Yeah on only 13 carries. How do you give edge only 13 carries? He's a back that needs at least 25 carries to accumulate yardage. With that said Manning plays with what he's dealt like any other team. I wont make excuses for him cause his defense actually was a top 15 defense last year 11th in yardage and 2nd in scoring defense. Overall he just hasn't been productive in the playoffs. He's a great player who will always give your team a chance and for that alone I'd take him over any qb not named Brady.

Peyton Manning is the best QB in the NFL. Better than Brady. While other QB's are out on the field trying to "manage the game". Manning is out there controling the game. He is a throw back to the Kelly type QB's who had a true command of the offense and is a true field general. He not only knows what he should be doing on every play. He knows what the other ten guys on offense should be doing. Sometimes it looks like he knows exactly what the 12 on defense should be doing also.

Also,

Has there ever been a better QB at reading defenses. It's been so long since we have had that here in Buffalo I think we forget the value of reading a defense.

There are only a handful of good QB's in the NFL. Peyton Manning is by far the best of that small lot. :angry:

Peyton is perhaps the best QB in the game today and perhaps one of the best to ever play the game. Furthermore, he doesn't talk trash and make the game all about himself; in fact, he honors its history with his dress. Add to that, he's a truly decent person outside the game as well (no wild parties, no baby mamas, no drugs, or drunk driving, etc.). In essence, he's exactly the type of player and the quality of player that everyone here "says" they want.

Yet, he's regularly trashed by posters here. That tells me several things:

1. Posters here don't know the first thing about football.

2. Posters here are jealous of other team's players that do well.

3. Posters here will never be happy with any measure of success.

4. Posters here just like to find crap to complain about.

The only viable complaint against Manning was that he couldn't win the big games. That one complaint, I would argue, as been put to rest in recent seasons, as he's won several big games. The Colts have not gotten to the Superbowl, but I would also argue that's due more to the team and coach around him than due to his play.

We all know about Marty Shottenhiemer (or however you spell that) and his record of getting to the Superbowl. Well, I'd put Dungy right up there with him. I'll go so far to say that if Manning can get a Dungy-coached team a Superbowl win; then he's the best QB period.

Finally, I'll just add that any Bills fan that uses the argument: "he can't win the big game; therefore he sucks." should be banned from this site. A Bills fan saying that is the absolute definition of the pot calling the kettle black. In essence, they're saying that Kelly, Thomas and none of the 90's Bills were any good because they couldn't win the big game. So, please if any moderater reads this post, please take my suggestion into consideration. It's one thing for a poster to show their ignorance (we all do that from time to time), but its a completely different thing all together when they blatantly use their ignorance to trash our team and our team's players.

Peyton is perhaps the best QB in the game today and perhaps one of the best to ever play the game.  Furthermore, he doesn't talk trash and make the game all about himself; in fact, he honors its history with his dress. Add to that, he's a truly decent person outside the game as well.

847418[/snapback]

Link
Then came the lawsuit. (How could there not be a lawsuit?) And the court documents. And the explicit details about the 1996 training room incident from Naughright's attorney that, if correct, show that Manning's definition of a mooning and your definition of a mooning are two entirely different things.

Naughright's attorney says his client, doing her job, was crouching behind Manning to determine why he was having pain in one of his feet when "entirely unprovoked, Peyton Manning decided to pull down his shorts and sit on Dr. Naughright's head and face." Court documents add graphic body-part details, which we shall omit because you certainly can get the picture.

All right, you say, but this is Peyton Manning, the Boy Scout, and it's just another one of those he-said, she-said stories, right? Well, not exactly. Add another "he" to the equation — on her side. The court record includes a letter to Manning from former Tennessee cross country runner Malcolm Saxon, who Manning said was the intended target of the so-called mooning.

"Bro, you have tons of class," Saxon's letter says, "but you have shown no mercy or grace to this lady who was on her knees seeing if you had a stress fracture. ... You might as well maintain some dignity and admit to what happened. ... Your celebrity doesn't mean you can treat folks that way."

So you're a sports fan, and you want to believe and, for quite a few years, you've had many wonderful thoughts about Peyton Manning. They're still there, but now something else is there, too. You thought you knew the guy. Turns out you're still learning.

Peyton Manning is a total POS... a disgrace to the sport of football. :angry:

Link

847424[/snapback]

So, you're calling someone a total POS because of a stupid college prank that, at most, went a little overboard? Surely, you're not serious.

By this measuring stick, the entire world is full of disgraceful PsOS. Perhaps there are a few guys that are good. But, I'd say about 2 i nthe history of mankind.

Peyton is perhaps the best QB in the game today and perhaps one of the best to ever play the game.  Furthermore, he doesn't talk trash and make the game all about himself; in fact, he honors its history with his dress. Add to that, he's a truly decent person outside the game as well (no wild parties, no baby mamas, no drugs, or drunk driving, etc.).    In essence, he's exactly the type of player and the quality of player that everyone here "says" they want.

Yet, he's regularly trashed by posters here.  That tells me several things: 

1. Posters here don't know the first thing about football. 

2. Posters here are jealous of other team's players that do well.

3. Posters here will never be happy with any measure of success.

4. Posters here just like to find crap to complain about.

The only viable complaint against Manning was that he couldn't win the big games.  That one complaint, I would argue, as been put to rest in recent seasons, as he's won several big games.  The Colts have not gotten to the Superbowl, but I would also argue that's due more to the team and coach around him than due to his play. 

We all know about Marty Shottenhiemer (or however you spell that) and his record of getting to the Superbowl.  Well, I'd put Dungy right up there with him.  I'll go so far to say that if Manning can get a Dungy-coached team a Superbowl win; then he's the best QB period.

Finally, I'll just add that any Bills fan that uses the argument: "he can't win the big game; therefore he sucks."  should be banned from this site.  A Bills fan saying that is the absolute definition of the pot calling the kettle black.  In essence, they're saying that Kelly, Thomas and none of the 90's Bills were any good because they couldn't win the big game. So, please if any moderater reads this post, please take my suggestion into consideration.  It's one thing for a poster to show their ignorance (we all do that from time to time), but its a completely different thing all together when they blatantly use their ignorance to trash our team and our team's players.

847418[/snapback]

Great post.

847424[/snapback]

Your ridiculous.

So, you're calling someone a total POS because of a stupid college prank that, at most, went a little overboard?  Surely, you're not serious.

847435[/snapback]

He lost 2 lawsuits for big $$$ as a result of this "stupid college prank", and brought great shame to his university. In comparison, he makes Michael Irvin look like a saint. :w00t:

Karma's a B word, though... he deserves every one of his January humiliations. :angry:

Not only that, but the "just get him a defense" argument also ignores the fact that any money spent on the defense would take away from that spent on the offense, thus lessening Manning's ability to put up monster numbers.

To pretend, as many do, that if Manning had a defense, he'd pile up huge numbers and win Super Bowls, is nonsensical.  His ability to accumulate statistics is due largely to to the lack of money spent on defense, for that is what has allowed him to be surrounded to premier offenseive talent.

Hardly.  Remember this?

1-10-IND44 (5:33) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass intended for B.Fletcher INTERCEPTED by T.Polamalu at 50. T.Polamalu to 50 for no gain. FUMBLES, touched at PIT 48, and recovers at PIT 48. T.Polamalu to PIT 48 for no gain (J.Saturday). Play Challenged by IND and REVERSED. (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete to B.Fletcher (T.Polamalu).

Everyone knows that was an INT that shouldn't have been overturned, and it would've given Pittsburgh the ball up 11 with just over 5 minutes left.

Manning choked that game away on that play, and it was only the inexplicable reversal of the proper call that even allowed Manning a chance to get the Colts to within 3.

Then, after the gift from the refs allowed the Colts to get to within 3, Manning responded with this series the next time he got the ball:

1-10-IND18 (2:31) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass to E.James to IND 20 for 2 yards (K.von Oelhoffen).

2-8-IND20 (2:00) (Shotgun) P.Manning sacked at IND 12 for -8 yards (J.Porter).

3-16-IND12 (1:33) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete to B.Stokley.

4-16-IND12 (1:27) (Shotgun) P.Manning sacked at IND 2 for -10 yards (sack split by J.Porter and J.Farrior).

It was only the subsequent Bettis fumble, which was almost as inexplicable as the blown call on the INT, that allowed him to recover from his second choke of the game.

And finally, facing a 2nd down from the 28 with chance to get into more comfortable FG range, Manning does this:

2-2-PIT28 (:31) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete to R.Wayne (B.McFadden).

3-2-PIT28 (:25) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete to R.Wayne.

Still think he got the team into a position to win that game?  The refs and Jerome Bettis played a far larger role, frankly.

847265[/snapback]

You cant PROVE Manning would do less with different players. Harrison missed a game a few years ago and Manning still had over 400 yards and a TD.

Again. You cant prove that. You can only assume it. The arguement could also be made that Manning would not have to put up those insane numbers if he had a good defense.

That was a hilarious play ... although I wouldnt call that throw a "choke" throw by Manning ... the whole team didnt play well. The line gave up 5 sacks, Vandjeragt missed a field goal that would have tied the game, James only had 50 some yards ... etc

WOHOO!!!! I wanted to make a bet with someone on how long it would take you to find this thread. I would have won with an /under of 10 minutes.

P.S. Where was Brady during that game? Oh yeah ... at home.

847268[/snapback]

Man I hate to agree with a pats fan but you're right on with this post. Great QBs will make a play or two in a game to change its outcome. Manning doesn't do it in big games and never has. Yeah he may put up big stats (in a few games but others he's looked like RJ) but he never seems to make that one play that changes a game. Dax your man crush on Manning is ridiculous. Just admit the kid cannot win the big game. You make yourself look like a fool when you throw numbers defending him and take shots at Brady. The one key stat when comparing Brady to Manning is 3 to 0, Brady has 3 rings and Manning 0, and not even a Superbowl berth, and mainly because Tom Brady and NE made Peyton look like a fool in playoff games.

mainly because Tom Brady and NE made Peyton look like a fool in playoff games.

847448[/snapback]

Ahh so it was Brady who was picking off Mannings passes in those 2 playoff games against the pats. I think Tony Dungy is just as much to blame for the colts recent playoff failures as manning is.

"At most, went a little overboard"?  How would you like it if you were at work one day and Manning came in and sat down nude on your face?

847446[/snapback]

Actually, I have had someone sit nude on my face. As well as been mooned and all sorts of other stupid crap. I called it college life. Of course, the guy wasn't a million dollar football player, so I didn't sue him. I just got even with my own prank. I assume (a) you never went to college or (b) you never left the library if you did attend college.

He lost 2 lawsuits for big $$$ as a result of this "stupid college prank", and brought great shame to his university. In comparison, he makes Michael Irvin look like a saint.  :angry:

847441[/snapback]

I would agree, but you can't compare him to Irvin. Honestly, who can stand up to that comparison?