Peyton Manning

MrLocke

I personally cannot stand the guy for many reasons that I am sure you have all heard before. I am still going to discuss them anyway.

The first reason is that he hasn't been able to win in big games. He never beat Florida when he was at Tennessee and I believe Tennessee won the National championship the year after he left. Also he hasn't yet takin his team to the SuperBowl. Many people said Just get him a defense and he'll do it. Well last year he had a defense and didn't get it done.

The other has to do with the lineage factor. I am sure he got many breaks growing up that other people would not have gotten. If he hadn't got these breaks is he as good as he is now?

Another is the responsibility factor. I am sure many people lost respect for him last year when he essentially blamed his offensive line for the lose against the Steelers. He refused to take any of the blame himself.

The final reason is that he seems soft. He would rather hook slide than take a hit and get a few yards. He seems scared to get his nose dirty. I don't think I have ever seen him throw a block before. Also is he willing to take the hit to complete a deep pass? I don't think so.

Discuss.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally cannot stand the guy for many reasons that I am sure you have all heard before. I am still going to discuss them anyway.

The first reason is that he hasn't been able to win in big games. He never beat Florida when he was at Tennessee and I believe Tennessee won the National championship the year after he left. Also he hasn't yet takin his team to the SuperBowl. Many people said Just get him a defense and he'll do it. Well last year he had a defense and didn't get it done.

The other has to do with the lineage factor. I am sure he got many breaks growing up that other people would not have gotten. If he hadn't got these breaks is he as good as he is now?

Another is the responsibility factor. I am sure many people lost respect for him last year when he essentially blamed his offensive line for the lose against the Steelers. He refused to take any of the blame himself.

The final reason is that he seems soft. He would rather hook slide than take a hit and get a few yards. He seems scared to get his nose dirty. I don't think I have ever seen him throw a block before. Also is he willing to take the hit to complete a deep pass? I don't think so.

Discuss.

847217[/snapback]

ok dont forget that last year agianst the steelers manning got his team in position to win. vandejagt missed very badly, he beat denver this year and the pats n new england. reguardless if he wins a super bowl or not i would take peyton manning to win me any game any time.

Discuss.

847217[/snapback]

Agree with all your points... but PGump's spastic tard moves at the line of scrimmage are pretty funny, and I've made a TON of $ betting against him in big games over the years, so he's OK with me! :angry:

So because he couldnt get to the SB means you dont like him ... unbelievable.

Breaks such as? You dont need to get "breaks" when your an insanely awesome high school player (over 7,000+ yards and 90+ TD's in 3 High School seasons).

They lost by 3 points ... Vanderjagt missed a field goal. The offensive line gave up 5 sacks and Pitts line only gave up 2. Manning had a 90+ passer rating, nearly 300 yards, a TD, and 0 INT's. Its pretty hard for ANYONE to put blame on Manning for that game ... including himself.

847217[/snapback]

Possibly because he doesnt need to take a late hit to complete a pass. He is 35-7 in the past 3 seasons and I dont think any QB has more 20+ or 40+ passes than he does.

Many people said Just get him a defense and he'll do it. Well last year he had a defense and didn't get it done.

Not only that, but the "just get him a defense" argument also ignores the fact that any money spent on the defense would take away from that spent on the offense, thus lessening Manning's ability to put up monster numbers.

To pretend, as many do, that if Manning had a defense, he'd pile up huge numbers and win Super Bowls, is nonsensical. His ability to accumulate statistics is due largely to to the lack of money spent on defense, for that is what has allowed him to be surrounded to premier offenseive talent.

ok dont forget that last year agianst the steelers manning got his team in position to win.

Hardly. Remember this?

1-10-IND44 (5:33) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass intended for B.Fletcher INTERCEPTED by T.Polamalu at 50. T.Polamalu to 50 for no gain. FUMBLES, touched at PIT 48, and recovers at PIT 48. T.Polamalu to PIT 48 for no gain (J.Saturday). Play Challenged by IND and REVERSED. (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete to B.Fletcher (T.Polamalu).

Everyone knows that was an INT that shouldn't have been overturned, and it would've given Pittsburgh the ball up 11 with just over 5 minutes left.

Manning choked that game away on that play, and it was only the inexplicable reversal of the proper call that even allowed Manning a chance to get the Colts to within 3.

Then, after the gift from the refs allowed the Colts to get to within 3, Manning responded with this series the next time he got the ball:

1-10-IND18 (2:31) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass to E.James to IND 20 for 2 yards (K.von Oelhoffen).

2-8-IND20 (2:00) (Shotgun) P.Manning sacked at IND 12 for -8 yards (J.Porter).

3-16-IND12 (1:33) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete to B.Stokley.

4-16-IND12 (1:27) (Shotgun) P.Manning sacked at IND 2 for -10 yards (sack split by J.Porter and J.Farrior).

It was only the subsequent Bettis fumble, which was almost as inexplicable as the blown call on the INT, that allowed him to recover from his second choke of the game.

And finally, facing a 2nd down from the 28 with chance to get into more comfortable FG range, Manning does this:

2-2-PIT28 (:31) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete to R.Wayne (B.McFadden).

3-2-PIT28 (:25) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete to R.Wayne.

Still think he got the team into a position to win that game? The refs and Jerome Bettis played a far larger role, frankly.

Not only that, but the "just get him a defense" argument also ignores the fact that any money spent on the defense would take away from that spent on the offense, thus lessening Manning's ability to put up monster numbers.

You cant PROVE Manning would do less with different players. Harrison missed a game a few years ago and Manning still had over 400 yards and a TD.

To pretend, as many do, that if Manning had a defense, he'd pile up huge numbers and win Super Bowls, is nonsensical.  His ability to accumulate statistics is due largely to to the lack of money spent on defense, for that is what has allowed him to be surrounded to premier offenseive talent.

Again. You cant prove that. You can only assume it. The arguement could also be made that Manning would not have to put up those insane numbers if he had a good defense.

Hardly.  Remember this?

1-10-IND44 (5:33) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass intended for B.Fletcher INTERCEPTED by T.Polamalu at 50. T.Polamalu to 50 for no gain. FUMBLES, touched at PIT 48, and recovers at PIT 48. T.Polamalu to PIT 48 for no gain (J.Saturday). Play Challenged by IND and REVERSED. (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete to B.Fletcher (T.Polamalu).

Everyone knows that was an INT that shouldn't have been overturned, and it would've given Pittsburgh the ball up 11 with just over 5 minutes left.

Manning choked that game away on that play, and it was only the inexplicable reversal of the proper call that even allowed Manning a chance to get the Colts to within 3.

847265[/snapback]

That was a hilarious play ... although I wouldnt call that throw a "choke" throw by Manning ... the whole team didnt play well. The line gave up 5 sacks, Vandjeragt missed a field goal that would have tied the game, James only had 50 some yards ... etc

WOHOO!!!! I wanted to make a bet with someone on how long it would take you to find this thread. I would have won with an /under of 10 minutes.

P.S. Where was Brady during that game? Oh yeah ... at home.

Discuss.

847217[/snapback]

You've got to kidding about that defense comment. :angry: If he had one last year, where is it this year?

I thought it was the kicker who failed in the clutch? Besides, Harrison never shows up in the big games either.

I'd rather have him than JP or any QB on our roster right now. And you'd be foolish to think otherwise.

WOHOO!!!! I wanted to make a bet with someone on how long it would take you to find this thread. I would have won with an /under of 10 minutes.

:angry:

This thread was started at 11:14 PM. My first post in the thread was at 12:22 AM.

Explain how 68 minutes is under 10 minutes.

Or is math not your strong suit, Johnny Five?

P.S. Where was Brady during that game? Oh yeah ... at home.

Why would you expect Brady to be involved in a game between the Colts and Steelers?

That type of slam only works if Brady's team hadn't made the playoffs at all, or was eliminated in an earlier round than was Manning's.

Your attempt at an insult looses its oomph when the answer to your rhetorical question is not "at home," but rather "In Foxboro recovering from the previous day's loss, which came IN THE SAME ROUND as Manning's loss, but came on the road, and came after he had already won one playoff game, something Manning wasn't able to do."

:angry:

This thread was started at 11:14 PM.  My first post in the thread was at 12:22 AM.

Explain how 68 minutes is under 10 minutes.

Or is math not your strong suit, Johnny Five?

Sorry I thought it was self-explanatory ... 10 minutes from when I first saw the thread.

Why would you expect Brady to be involved in a game between the Colts and Steelers?

That type of slam only works if Brady's team hadn't made the playoffs at all, or was eliminated in an earlier round than was Manning's.

Your attempt at an insult looses its oomph when the answer to your rhetorical question is not "at home," but rather "In Foxboro recovering from the previous day's loss, which came IN THE SAME ROUND as Manning's loss, but came on the road, and came after he had already won one playoff game, something Manning wasn't able to do."

847283[/snapback]

Got me on that one .. I thought Brady lost the round beforehand. None-the-less all of the rest of my arguements made too much sense sense (obviously) because you didnt reply to those.

I cant stand him because he cant just go to the line and play football. He has to wave his arms, move a guy here or there, try to look smart etc. etc. etc.

I also think he is a tool because he love to point fingers. Oddly, I don't remember him ever showing up and making it happen on his own.

Screw him. He gets nothing. Ever.

I cant stand him because he cant just go to the line and play football. He has to wave his arms, move a guy here or there, try to look smart etc. etc. etc.

Are you saying that he is not changing the play, and in fact just doing it for no reason every single play? :angry:

Oddly, I don't remember him ever showing up and making it happen on his own.

He had nearly 300 yards and a TD in his playoff game last year ... the rest of the team you might ask? James had 50 some yards, Vanderjagt missed the game tying field goal, the offensive line gave up 5 sacks ... I could go on but I will just leave it with that.

Are you saying that he is not changing the play, and in fact just doing it for no reason every single play?  :angry:

He had nearly 300 yards and a TD in his playoff game last year ... the rest of the team you might ask? James had 50 some yards, Vanderjagt missed the game tying field goal, the offensive line gave up 5 sacks ... I could go on but I will just leave it with that.

847289[/snapback]

Camera time. You know :w00t: Espescially in Indy where there fans are so smart they know to keep quiet when they are on offense and everone in the world can hear him bark incessantly.

I'm sure I spelled incessantly wrong but I dont give a !@#$.

Camera time. You know  :angry:  Espescially in Indy where there fans are so smart they know to keep quiet when they are on offense and everone in the world can hear him bark incessantly.

I'm sure I spelled incessantly wrong but I dont give a !@#$.

847291[/snapback]

Okay then.

I didn't think an argument that essentially amounted to "being surrounded by worse players would have no negative impact on a player's statistical performance" really dignified a response.

847292[/snapback]

Atleast I gave evidence to back up my remark ... No Harrison a few years back and he still had a 400+ yard, TD game.

P.S. No Im not saying he would be better without Harrington. Just making a point.

You've got to kidding about that defense comment.    :angry:  If he had one last year, where is it this year?

I thought it was the kicker who failed in the clutch?  Besides, Harrison never shows up in the big games either. 

I'd rather have him than JP or any QB on our roster right now.  And you'd be foolish to think otherwise.

847271[/snapback]

No Cory Simon this year. DT is one of the most important positions on defense. You saw what happened to the Bills run defense when they lost Ted Washington and then Pat Williams. All you have to do is look at the statistics from last year and compare them to this year to see that they fell off.

He's a hell of a football player and it's not hard to like him. Can't understand why some people can't stand him, he hasn't done anything for the Bills lately and he even had some good words for Angelo Crowell, you think those post game comments about Crowell aren't gonna do anything? That can change a kid's career around and although Crowell was already getting better and better, that confidence is going to do a lot for him.

Yeah, he called out his offensive line, but that's because he's as competitive as any other player in the NFL, he wants to win the damn thing and when all is said and done, it doesn't matter what records he breaks and what awards he wins, his biggest concern is that Superbowl ring.