What if this, What if that, what if our record

Disclaimer: Yes I know this is all "what-ifs"

Anyway. My question is simple. Are the Bills actually only a few players away from being a contender? The consensus opinion is that we are years away ... I was one of those people. Yet when looking at this season it seems as if we are somewhat close.

We SHOULD have beaten NE in the first week. No excuses.

We SHOULD have beaten Detroit. No excuses.

We SHOULD have beaten Indianapolis.No excuses.

A lot of "shoulds" but all of those games could have pretty easily gone our way if just ONE or TWO plays went our way. That would make our record 7-3 and we would be talking playoffs. So I ask again ... are we really that far away? Or just one or two plays in a few close games?

Anyway. My question is simple. Are the Bills actually only a few players away from being a contender? The consensus opinion is that we are years away ... I was one of those people. Yet when looking at this season it seems as if we are somewhat close.

A lot of "shoulds" but all of those games could have pretty easily gone our way if just ONE or TWO plays went our way. That would make our record 7-3 and we would be talking playoffs. So I ask again ... are we really that far away? Or just one or two plays in a few close games?

843683[/snapback]

We SHOULD have lost to Houston. If the roles were reversed, we'd be lyncing the coach for not running on 3rd down late in the game. Instead the pass was incomplete and we had plenty of time to score.

We SHOULD have lost to Houston.  If the roles were reversed, we'd be lyncing the coach for not running on 3rd down late in the game.  Instead the pass was incomplete and we had plenty of time to score.

843686[/snapback]

Actually, we'd be lynching Losman because of the incomplete pass.

Damn, Losman sucks! We should have lost the game because of him!

Should've lost to GB - thanks Favre! 

We got our ass kicked in Detroit and luckboxed our way to a close game in Indy.  Weird that you left out the only game we legitimately should've won vs. the Jets.

843698[/snapback]

Ass kicked in Detroit? I would have to disagree ... we lost by a FG. The reason I didnt include the Jets was because I dont really think we were one play away from a win. More like two or three.

Ass kicked in Detroit? I would have to disagree ... we lost by a FG. The reason I didnt include the Jets was because I dont really think we were one play away from a win. More like two or three.

843704[/snapback]

I should've known you were going by margin of defeat rather than quality of play. :)

One week ago, this offense was being compared to one of the worst in NFL history. The Vikings are garbage, Miami WAS garbage and Green Bay and Houston are garbage.

Yes, that was great to feel like it actually is possible to generate a game winning drive but cummon. 180 plus rushing yards against is not so good. If the defense had not stopped Houston with 2 minutes to go, every single fan would have been calling for Jauron's head after punting it with 2 and a half to go!!!

Let's go for two wins in a row first.....

I just remember being at the game and KNOWING once they scored before halftime the game was over. Wasnt really close IMO.

843716[/snapback]

this post points to the compelling part of this season. when we started off, we were hoping to be competitive and step up much more so than last year. and, through the first 4 games, we were competitive. i was at new england for the opener, and went to the vikes game. we had the pats on the ropes and let 'em up. so, after 4 games, we're doing ok from a rebuilding point of view. then we go to chicago and get gutted like a fish, ditto new england, and in-between underperform in detroit, and we start looking not-so-competitive anymore.

During the Green Bay game, we have no offense, but win the takeway battle and prevail. Against Indy, we go ultra-conservative from a coaching perspective and lose.

Then, yesterday we play a team with a losing record, have some big plays and a 4th quarter comeback and here we are today.

The football season always seems to be a tale of two seasons---first 8 games certain teams are hot, second half some teams drop out and others take their place. I personally believe our o-line is still suspect, and that we'll continue to struggle. If we get some breaks, and the o-line gels a bit, we could split the remaining games at 3-3. That would leave us at a repectable (for a rebuilding team) 7-9, understanding a couple games got away from us that we could have won (and that we won a couple we could have lost).

I go back to the basics---we had a dominant defense with Pat Williams in there, and a less-than-dominant defense the following year. When the front line gets pressure on the qb, the d-backs benefit. On the o-line, when you can successfully run block, and give the qb time to throw, things happen.

I go with we're only one or two key players away from making this thing work much more smoothly, but then again so are some other teams. Next year, we're into our second year in both systems, everyone should be more comfortable etc. Remember we're still only a couple weeks removed from our "new offensive line", and that changed when Virrail went out last week.

Oh, and I see no way we were going to beat the Colts. Even with the field goal, the Colts had to much time to get a kick of their own.

843683[/snapback]

LOL--oh for God's sake stop it. We arent even as good as our 4-6 record.

We shoulda lost to Minnesota and Green Bay..lol

LOL--oh for God's sake stop it. We arent even as good as our 4-6 record.

We shoulda lost to Minnesota and Green Bay..lol

843891[/snapback]

Possibly HOU. I was surprised they passed on their last possession, 3 and 2. A chance to run the clock, with a game-long, decent run game.

Espiacally with their punter. He had amazing hang times...from midfield. Very good job. But I wondered if that was that punter's feature. Not a boomer, but evidently a kicker that allows no returns, albeit shortish yardage.

I think the HOU staff made a tactical mistake.

But no surprise to me there. Even with today's sophistication, football coaches are amazingly dumb folk. We've all jumped up and down with their goofy decisions through the years...

180 plus rushing yards against is not so good. If the defense had not stopped Houston with 2 minutes to go, every single fan would have been calling for Jauron's head after punting it with 2 and a half to go!!!

843744[/snapback]

Not to be a bit of sunshine on your otherwise turdish outlook after a win, but here's the upside: 125 of those yards were in the first half, and we actually altered our defense for the second half and held them to 60 yards on the ground and only one fourth-quarter first down.

That's progress.

Yes, I get it. It was the lowly Texans and we need to do this more than once to prove it wasn't a fluke, but for the love of the game, man, at least try to act like you were excited about the win.