Offensive Line Haters

Frez

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm very happy with the O-Line, and am rooting for Peters, Preston, and Pennington to all become pro-bowlers, and don't mine if Gandy and Fowler turn into solid veterans who can contribute.

But if we can improve at any of those positions in the draft I hope we do.

At best, I hope a game like today shows we don't have to panic draft and take the best perceived lineman available in the first round even if he isn't the best player (like the people who wanted us to take Justice this year). But let's not kid ourselves into thinking a good game means that these are the best five we can have out there in 2007 and there isn't reason or cause to try to improve at one or more of these positions.

Offensive line played awesome today! We will not be drafting any offensive lineman next year.

842167[/snapback]

Where was the running game? Most of Losman's completions were on the scramble. We need O-Linemen.

P.S. I told you Chris Villarial was the cancer on this team, he goes on IR and look what happens.

Is this a joke or just one of the worst threads I've ever read?

We played an anemic Texans D. A-Train had NOWHERE to run and had to earn every single yard he gained on his own. And most of the successful pass plays came from JP's scrambling ability more than any amazing pass protection.

I will give you this, though: the Peters-Gandy-Fowler-Preston-Pennington line is probably the best combo I've seen all year. Still not saying much.

We are 3 quality starters away from having an above average OL in 2007:

LT: Peters (has lots of potential, and a better vet FA LT or rookie LT isn't likely to be found)

LG: free agent or day 1 draft pick

C: Fowler (kind of mediocre in run blocking, but not a problem with better guards)

RG: free agent or day 1 draft pick

RT: free agent or day 1 draft pick

(I like these backups, plus all the experience they are getting now...)

Backup T's: Pennington, Butler

Backup C/G's: Preston, Merz

Offensive line played awesome today! We will not be drafting any offensive lineman next year.

842167[/snapback]

Great thread. I don't know that anyone has complimented you for the irony that you brought up. One game doesn't make a difference unless future performance remains the same.

We played an anemic Texans D. A-Train had NOWHERE to run and had to earn every single yard he gained on his own. And most of the successful pass plays came from JP's scrambling ability more than any amazing pass protection.

I will give you this, though: the Peters-Gandy-Fowler-Preston-McFarland line is probably the best combo I've seen all year. Still not saying much.

LT: Peters (has lots of potential, and a better vet FA LT or rookie LT isn't likely to be found)

C: Fowler (kind of mediocre in run blocking, but not a problem with better guards)

RG:  free agent or day 1 draft pick

RT:  free agent or day 1 draft pick

Backup T's: McFarland, Butler

842236[/snapback]

I gotta go with Kelso here.....the line may have done an ok job in pass protection but they were not opening up ANYTHING in the running game....and it seems like we can only run to the left side.....

This O Line needs work....Peters stays where he is at...we need a QUALITY LG.....C is not horrible....we need a QUALITY RG and most definately need better play at RT.......

I will give you this, though: the Peters-Gandy-Fowler-Preston-McFarland line is probably the best combo I've seen all year. Still not saying much.

RG:  free agent or day 1 draft pick

RT:  free agent or day 1 draft pick

Backup T's: McFarland, Butler

842236[/snapback]

McFarland ??? He was cut before the season started. You mean Pennington? Gandy is weak. Need an upgrade at both guards, but that's a position you can upgrade via free agency...don't know if I'd spend a high pick on a guard. Pennington needs work, but looks to have potential. Would like to see Merz get some time. Has Butler played a down?

Where was the running game? Most of Losman's completions were on the scramble. We need O-Linemen.

P.S. I told you Chris Villarial was the cancer on this team, he goes on IR and look what happens.

842232[/snapback]

"cancer" is not fair, since Chris was a hard working blue collar team player. I think Chris like Troy Vincent is a veteran that couldn't be just benched at the season's start, but that we are better off without him playing.

And for Kelso's Helmet, your current lineup has Pennington cut completely? I definitely want to improve this line, but I don't think that means that Gandy, Preston, and Pennington need to ALL be replaced at once. Two of them are young with potential, and all three are playing new positions. We have six more weeks to see which of them is our biggest weakspot, and which of them is the most solid. I'm going to wait and withhold judgement, but I would love if one steps up and proves he deserves to play, one makes us feel we could go either way, and we can concentrate resource into one (or two) spots and not all three.

the line still played like ass. so this week we get a little pass protection (and jp is given the green light to actually move) and our run blocking is non-existent.

i think this post was meant as a real jab at all the jp threads, but its in poor form. this line is still bad and played bad today.

"cancer" is not fair, since Chris was a hard working blue collar team player.  I think Chris like Troy Vincent is a veteran that couldn't be just benched at the season's start, but that we are better off without him playing.

And for Kelso's Helmet, your current lineup has Pennington cut completely?  I definitely want to improve this line, but I don't think that means that Gandy, Preston, and Pennington need to ALL be replaced at once.  Two of them are young with potential, and all three are playing new positions.  We have six more weeks to see which of them is our biggest weakspot, and which of them is the most solid.  I'm going to wait and withhold judgement, but I would love if one steps up and proves he deserves to play, one makes us feel we could go either way, and we can concentrate resource into one (or two) spots and not all three.

842276[/snapback]

Gandy is a turnstile. Preston is weak against the pass. Maybe more game experience will help. He has verstility with this center experience and that's a huge plus. Still too early on Pennington, but he looked pretty good this week in pass protection. Looks raw out there...seems like he was using his hands well. Still a good depth player.

842167[/snapback]

To anyone who didn't notice, this is a sarcastic thread mocking the similar thread about JP ("we won't be drafting any QB's next year").

Of course, an offensive line is five people, not to mention backups since so many players get hurt over the course of a season, which is quite a bit different from the process of drafting and developing a QB.

But I'm sure Frez took that into account with his razor-sharp wit. :doh:

It may have been sarcastic but we'll talk about it anyways. :doh: Remember Pennington went against a very hobbled Mario Williams today. I am still pulling for him but believe we most likely will be looking to upgrade the position (RT) by seasons end.