Marv please use you head

coltrane34

No matter what happens with JP, the bills must realize that they need a lot more than just a QB. Regardless of how you feel about JP, his surrounding cast has helped to put him in this position. Bad playcalls, a bad line, bad recievers and TE's(except Evans), and so on. The blame can be spread around the entire team.

You cannot draft a rookie QB to fix these problems. These problems are exactly what can be addressed in the draft. A big WR, a couple good lineman (offensive and defensive), and possibly a LB who can help stop the run can all be found there.

The only issue that cant be addressed by the draft is the playcalling, where for some reason the Bills think that they can throw on every third and short, and run on the first two downs. Drafting Smith or Quinn will still leave all of these issues and probably increase the amount of mistakes actually made by the QB.

I have faith in JP if all of these issues are addressed, and they take the reins off and allow him to do what he does. But if a new QB is brought into Buffalo he must be a veteran. Someone who can allow these other lesser players over achieve. Someone who is sure of his qualifications and can help these young guys learn to win. Its a state of mind with the coaches, players, and fans. It seems like all just wait for something bad to happen in the game and find a way to lose. JP (or another vetran QB )must be the one on the field to show some heart and turn this mentality around. Quinn or Smith cannot thrive in this situation and will force the Bills fans to suffer through more difficult seasons.

No matter what happens with JP, the bills must realize that they need a lot more than just a QB.  Regardless of how you feel about JP, his surrounding cast has helped to put him in this position.  Bad playcalls, a bad line, bad recievers and TE's(except Evans), and so on.  The blame can be spread around the entire team. 

You cannot draft a rookie QB to fix these problems.  These problems are exactly what can be addressed in the draft.  A big WR, a couple good lineman (offensive and defensive), and possibly a LB who can help stop the run can all be found there.

The only issue that cant be addressed by the draft is the playcalling, where for some reason the Bills think that they can throw on every third and short, and run on the first two downs. Drafting Smith or Quinn will still leave all of these issues and probably increase the amount of mistakes actually made by the QB.

I have faith in JP if all of these issues are addressed, and they take the reins off  and allow him to do what he does.  But if a new QB is brought into Buffalo he must be a veteran.  Someone who can allow these other lesser players over achieve.  Someone who is sure of his qualifications and can help these young guys learn to win.  Its a state of mind with the coaches, players, and fans.  It seems like all just wait for something bad to happen in the game and find a way to lose.  JP (or another vetran QB )must be the one on the field to show some heart and turn this mentality around. Quinn or Smith cannot thrive in this situation and will force the Bills fans to suffer through more difficult seasons.

840592[/snapback]

Why not draft a qb in the later rounds?? (Jamarcus Russell)

A Qb like russell in the later rounds is a much smarter pick. I am not against a later round pick comming in and working his way to the starting position. I am just against using such a high pick on a player that is not going to produce for years if ever. Especially when there are soooooo many other needs.

i would not be surprised if we draft 2 QB's next year. Hopefully in the later rounds. Say a 4th and a 6th. or maybe a 5th and a 7th. Twice the chance that one is a player.

That being said, until the straightjacket is taken off JP, we dont know if he is a player. What would Kelly's numbers be if he was allowed to throw to Reed and the boys only 13 times a game?

That being said, until the straightjacket is taken off JP, we dont know if he is a player. What would Kelly's numbers be if he was allowed to throw to Reed and the boys only 13 times a game?

840610[/snapback]

I don't undeerstand why people keep making this arguement. The jacket was taken off the first half of the year and he was a turn over machine.

With that said, I'd rather the Bills go after some type of vet QB as opposed to drafting one.

A Qb like russell in the later rounds is a much smarter pick.  I am not against a later round pick comming in and working his way to the starting position.  I am just against using such a high pick on a player that is not going to produce for years if ever.  Especially when there are soooooo many other needs.

840601[/snapback]

You can draft a player at any position in the first round and fail.

Do you remember a guy named Mike Williams??

As long as its not a kicker, I say the Bills should take the best player available when its their turn to pick in April. Seemed to work pretty good in the 1990s with Polian and company at the helm

Again with how terrible drafting a QB first 15 picks is.... Like Rivers, Manning X 2, Vick, McNab, Brees, Rothlisberger... Is it a risk.... yes... So was Mike Williams and players at almost every position.

I have said retpeatedly, take the reins off Losman, let him prove himself the turnover machine, can't feel the pressure, bad reads, overthrow receivers, incompetent idiot many of you want to see and then we can make the decision and draft a QB...

Last thing I want is another Bledsoe, Brad Johnson, Jon Kitna, Blake type QB that accomplishes nothing....

Marv had a chance this year with Leinart and passed. If JP is not given a chance to prove himself the last 7 games and we pass again on a QB, Ralph Wilson will see the error at the ticket office.

Although Calvin Johnson is the one skill player I wouldn't be against drafting, the Bills will pick 10-12th, Johnson will go top 3. I would like Joe Thomas or Sam Baker, but believe we'll probably settle for Levi Brown. Of course I'd like Gains Adams too but believe he'll go top 3 with Calvin Johnson.

Obviously it has to be the right veteran QB, and I am glad they didn't pick Matty L, JP can produce if her has a real team around him.

840694[/snapback]

Take a look at the NFL's depth chart there aren't many quality veteran QBs that likely will be available. The "best" might be Damon Huard.

If Matt Schaub was a free agent sure, I'd look at him. Atlanta wants a high pick, and he isn't worth giving up a first day draft pick.

840710[/snapback]

I agree with you despite being one that was calling for us to take Schaub in the draft. Why? He has yet to prove he's an NFL starting QB anymore then JP has. Also maybe it's better that we try and develop JP when consider the only QB this franchise ever really developed was Joe Ferguson (as much that came here came developing with other teams/leagues) and that took him three full seasons of playing time.

Way too soon for me to think about individual players, but the more of our resources we devote to a new QB the less we have to develop to our other needs. So those options have to be low cost (low picks or not big money) or really really probable to be an upgrade over JP. I'm going to stay on the JP bandwagon and hope we draft a guard, a tackle (unless Pennington shines), a big receiver and whatever other players can best help our team continue to develop.

i would not be surprised if we draft 2 QB's next year. Hopefully in the later rounds. Say a 4th and a 6th. or maybe a 5th and a 7th. Twice the chance that one is a player.

840610[/snapback]

I totally agree.....we should even draft a QB if JP plays awesome over the next 7 weeks & shows he is going to be good. I've mentioned before....the Patriots have drafted 3 QBs since Brady won his 1st superbowl....we have drafted 3 QBs in the last 20 years. It's no wonder we haven't 'lucked' onto one.....we don't look.

To those wanting Schaub....what make people so certain he is going to be good? Rob Johnson.....now there's the answer.