Calif. College Ends Pledge of Allegiance

Tux of Borg

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen..._No_Pledge.html

Calif. College Ends Pledge of Allegiance

COSTA MESA, Calif. — Student leaders at a community college voted to drop the Pledge of Allegiance after a tense meeting in which one flag-waving pledge supporter berated them as anti-American radicals.

Orange Coast College's student trustees voted Wednesday not to recognize the pledge, with three of the five board members saying it should be dropped from their meetings.

Board member Jason Ball argued that the pledge inspires nationalism, violates the separation between church and state with the phrase "under God," and is irrelevant to the business of student government. He cited a 2002 San Francisco federal appeals court ruling — later dismissed by the Supreme Court on a technicality — that the pledge is unconstitutional when recited in public schools.

Sophomore Chris Belanger, one of several students who attended the meeting to support keeping the pledge, waved an American flag and accused the board of "radical views and anti-Americanism."

Coast Community College District spokeswoman Martha Parham said the decision was up to the students.

"They run their own show, so to speak," she said.

I don't really care how a student government starts their meetings, but I would suspect it is a bigger issue than that. Why is this news? It is a political statement they are trying to make. This violation of separation of Church and State crap doesn't wash with me. It is such a flagrant violation of what "separation" was intended to mean that this "pledge" had to be secretly hidden away since the 1940's so that no one would be offended, and the flagrant violation would not be noticed.

The libertarian in me says it's no big deal.

But the idea of duty, honor, country, et al. has become so antiquated in our society that it worries me. If they don't want to say the pledge, fine. But then, you shouldn't decry that our nation seems to have lost its way.

The libertarian in me says it's no big deal.

But the idea of duty, honor, country, et al. has become so antiquated in our society that it worries me.  If they don't want to say the pledge, fine.  But then, you shouldn't decry that our nation seems to have lost its way.

832399[/snapback]

That's pretty much how I feel. Ever since I discovered Neal Boortz about 9 years ago I've realized that I can best be described as Libertarian myself. That being said, I also believe in recognizing and preserving the heritage of this country - young as it may be - and not throwing the judeo-Christian values it was founded on under the bus.

Dang, Empire Strikes Back looks really good in HD!

As a Christian, I think it's dangerous for society to continually deny the role that the founding fathers clearly believed God played in the creation of this country.

As a Christian, I think it's dangerous for society to continually deny the role that the founding fathers clearly believed God played in the creation of this country.

832410[/snapback]

It is an interesting question. But for most of the Founding Father's the question really is which God? For many it was the God of the enlightenment - the deist Architect - and not a Christian God that lends himself to personal relationships.

It is an interesting question. But for most of the Founding Father's the question really is which God?  For many it was the God of the enlightenment - the deist Architect - and not a Christian God that lends himself to personal relationships.

832412[/snapback]

So you're saying many of the founding fathers were Hindi? ;)

It is an interesting question. But for most of the Founding Father's the question really is which God?  For many it was the God of the enlightenment - the deist Architect - and not a Christian God that lends himself to personal relationships.

832412[/snapback]

"...this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians, not by religions, but by the gospel of Jesus Christ."

Patrick Henry

Although there were many who were theists, or diests, there were also many who were Christian. Despite that point, the God of the Deist would rarely be welcom by today's interpretations of the founding fathers.

So what?  It doesn't hurt anyone....they don't want to say it, then they don't want to say it.

Regardless of what you or I think about it, who are we to tell a Community College Student Government how to start their meetings?

832175[/snapback]

I wonder if they receive any Federal $. Perhaps they could make a real statement by declining any state or Federal aid?

Don't go there.  We could argue the wisdom of that law in a country where you can die for it at 18, but not have a cold beer in a bar till you are 21.  But we won't.

836986[/snapback]

Although then we could argue the wisdom of a cold beer at a bar could lead to the death of another innocent life ... not just his own (in a war situation). But we wont go their either. :lol: