Gregg Easterbrook's take on JPs TD Pass

ACor58

Sour Play of the Week No. 3: Game tied at 10 in the fourth, Buffalo faced a second-and-20 on the Green Bay 43. Lee Evans went deep against Packers corner Al Harris -- who made no attempt at all to cover his man, but rather stood there committing the high school mistake of "looking into the backfield" to guess the play. Evans caught the touchdown pass that proved to be the game's winning points. This play was double sour because not only was Harris taking the lazy man's way out by looking into the backfield, Buffalo quarterback J. P. Losman was staring at Evans the entire time.

Sour Play of the Week No. 3: Game tied at 10 in the fourth, Buffalo faced a second-and-20 on the Green Bay 43. Lee Evans went deep against Packers corner Al Harris -- who made no attempt at all to cover his man, but rather stood there committing the high school mistake of "looking into the backfield" to guess the play. Evans caught the touchdown pass that proved to be the game's winning points. This play was double sour because not only was Harris taking the lazy man's way out by looking into the backfield, Buffalo quarterback J. P. Losman was staring at Evans the entire time.

829410[/snapback]

This is an incredibly amateurish piece of writing, even for Easterbrook. Talk about an over simplification. He completely misses the double move by Evans (gives Evans no credit...) and the fact that Harris was supposed to have safety help over the top (calls Harris lazy of all things). I didn't know he could see Harris and Losman's eyes from the video feed.

So the fact that he thinks Losman stared down Evans means absolutely nothing to me.

829410[/snapback]

I believe it was a pump and go (hence the looking at him the entire time). It also ended in a touchdown.

Easterbrook's take was a stupid one.

I don't think it's even an accurate account. Right after the play, they showed a replay focused on JP the whole time. He appeared to me to be looking over the middle, then discovered Evans coming wide open late and heaved it out there at the last second just as he was hit. If he was locked on Evans the entire time, he would have thrown the ball sooner.

You guys are correct.  JP has never locked on to a receiver and, in particular, he has never locked on to Evans.  :D

829515[/snapback]

I can't argue that Losman hasn't had this problem. It's just that in this particular instance, I don't think that was the case at all.

I don't understand how this guy hasn't learned how to go through his progressions in his 3rd year in the league.

829552[/snapback]

Perhaps because by the time he gets to read #2 he's been or about to be knocked on his ass.

Perhaps because by the time he gets to read #2 he's been or about to be knocked on his ass.

829565[/snapback]

No, no, no. Don't you understand? Losman is in his third year, and even though he hasn't been PLAYING in those three years, and even though he's been managed by the equivalent of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride Management Team, and even though he has never has enough time to see what's happening...HE SHOULD STILL GO THROUGH HIS PROGRESSIONS BECAUSE HE'S A THIRD-YEAR QUARTERBACK.

You'll never understand, Ramius. :D

Leave the heavy thinking to the wise and all-knowing.

Easterbrook is hysterical. Who cares if it's accurate? It's funny. And at least he always mentions the BIlls.

829410[/snapback]

Sheesh, even when JP makes a good play he cant get any credit for it.

829569[/snapback]

That actually was a pretty good play. He did lock on to and underthrow Evans, but I think that the underthrow was caused more by having the defender in his grill. In the end, you have to give JP some credit for completing a TD pass under pressure. [He also was fortunate that the CB bit on Evans move].

I've got it!  Since JP ALWAYS stares down his primary receiver, the coaches should come up with routes where JP always pump fakes and the WR sells the fake, and then when the DB bites on the fake because JP is staring down the receiver, JP tosses a long bomb!  It's a guaranteed score everytime, baby!

829612[/snapback]

How about JP NEVER looks at the WR he going to throw to? Not even when hes going to pass. That would really confuse some defenses. He can stare righ the entire time, and then throw left without even looking.

Now THAT is a guaranteed score.

If a WR is that wide open and being that he was getting hit as he was throwing the ball, I'm glad that he didn't try to throw the perfect pass and hit Evans in stride. When your that wide open just try to hurry up and get it there! If he had overthrown Evans even by a hair or threw it out the end zone he'd really be murdered!

e could also point out that just after he released the ball JP took one hell of a hit.  Geez...cut the kid a break why dontcha!

829441[/snapback]

I'm still very pro-JP, but let's be realistic, signs of toughness will not stop the hate machine. At this point, he's going to have to put up lots of points and yardage and get the team to the playoffs until he is not the focal point of fan rage. If he's lucky.

But, if he just plays thru it and finds success, some day his haters will completely forget how much they hated him, just like you can scarcely find a Jim Kelly hater nowadays, when Kelly was practically ran out of town on a rail and spent most of his Buffalo career as the #2 QB in fans hearts behind saint Frank Reich.

But it's the coaches job to make sure JP is out there for every possible snap this season, because at this point this franchise isn't living week-to-week, the quick fix efforts have failed repeatedly, and the Bills are now so deeply entrenched in losing that it's going to be very hard to get off that track.

Love him or hate him Losman should be kept out there if for the simple fact that if he isn't the answer, then the answer isn't on this roster, because Craig Nall isn't enough QB to win with this supporting cast. Don't kid yourselves, this isn't KC, an experienced winning team with playoff talent on both sides of the ball that can win with a journeyman Damon Huard at QB. It's either going to take a lot more time, successful drafting and a lot more money to get this team out of it's rut, or a QB who can move the ball under extreme duress. In basketball terms, a guy who can create his own opportunities, a playmaker. JP has the physical tools to do that, Holcomb and Nall do not, end of story.

You guys are correct.  JP has never locked on to a receiver and, in particular, he has never locked on to Evans.  :doh:

829515[/snapback]

LOL!

JP for some reason has huge problems with the short passing game. This accounts for the 1/2 the sacks at least.

LOL!

JP for some reason has huge problems with the short passing game.  This accounts for the 1/2 the sacks at least.

830399[/snapback]

I find this all very interesting.

1/2 his sacks you say? At least?

If it's taken as a given that our OL has been very poor.....that means we should have more sacks than most. Also, there is no doubt that JP....being young & holding onto the ball to long, or locking onto WRs is going to cause a few more. Logically speaking though, that would mean that a good QB behind a garbage OL or a garbage OL behind an OK OL will produce less sacks....let alone a good QB behind a good OL.

Hmmmm......lets look at JP compared to a bunch of QBs that most would say are better than JP....and/or OLs that are better than ours.

JPL.....26 sacks in 8 games

Culpepper.....21 sacks in 4(42 over 8)

Kitna.....26 sacks in 8

Roethlisberger.....23 sacks in 7(26 over 8)

Hasselbeck.....19 sacks in 6(25 over 8)

Bulger.....24 sacks in 8

Palmer.....23 sacks in 8

Vick 23.....sacks in 8

Carr.....21 sack in 8

McNabb.....20 sacks in 8

Pennington.....19 sacks in 8

I'll stop there....

Short passing game problems? Well, we have every sort of problem on the offense but.....

JPLs short passing game stats...from passes thrown 1-10 yards

73-100-649-4 TDs -2 INT...95 QBR

I can't see how JP has trouble in the short yardage passing game all things considered.