JP Naysayers tell me his problems vs. GB

AnthonyF

I've defended his play vs. GB, blaming the bad passing situuations, only 21 passing attempts (15 passes + 5 sacks + 1 run) and two big drops on very, very easy passes that were 60 yards.

Those unhappy yesterday, please lay out your exact issues and the situations.

I'll start...

1st drive, he threw it away to Peerless Price, when Royal was open....

There it was a bad choice. He was under pressure and I should see whether he did any check downs.

Anybody???

He does a Rob Johnson impression holding on to the ball way too long. The dude can run, pull a Vick and run for some postive yards

He never feels the pressure. Bledsoe couldn't move, but JP can, should he have some sense at this point?

He telegraphs passes better than Western Union.

At this point of a 3 year career, he should have a better feel for the position and have a better view of the field. In the last few games he has showed to progress, no growth and made many of his loyal supporters questions if he is the future of the Bills.

I am a fan of JP, want him to start and finish all 16, but lets give him an honest look.

He needs to give Fairchild the middle finger and start running whenever no-one is open. Screw this "stay in the pocket" crap.

827723[/snapback]

I like the sound of that too. Speaking of running, lack of a good running game IMO is a far greater problem than the QB play. A-Train was effective later in the game, but overall this year, the running game has been weak. Gotta move the chains on the ground more. Can't keep running left only either.

I was really hoping JP would look pretty good and improve this year. Unfortunately it has been the opposite. He looked better early in the year and has regressed. He reminds me completely of RJ. I hate to say it, but everything he does reminds me of RJ.

Remember how "terrible" our line was with RJ and then the same line miraculously became better the next week when he was replaced by Flutie.

I'm sick of QB's that will do well in a skills competition in the combine or in Hawaii! Give me a guy that can read defenses, make a quick decision and throw accurately. He doesn't need to have the strongest arm, throw the tightest spiral or have the best delivery if he can do the above well.

I like the sound of that too.  Speaking of running, lack of a good running game IMO is a far greater problem than the QB play.  A-Train was effective later in the game, but overall this year, the running game has been weak.  Gotta move the chains on the ground more.  Can't keep running left only either.

827729[/snapback]

can't run the ball if teams don't respect the pass. they go hand in hand.

He does a Rob Johnson impression holding on to the ball way too long.  The dude can run, pull a Vick and run for some postive yards

He never feels the pressure.  Bledsoe couldn't move, but JP can, should he have some sense at this point?

He telegraphs passes better than Western Union.

At this point of a 3 year career, he should have a better feel for the position and have a better view of the field.  In the last few games he has showed to progress, no growth and made many of his loyal supporters questions if he is the future of the Bills.

I am a fan of JP, want him to start and finish all 16, but lets give him an honest look.

827707[/snapback]

That may not be his fault if it is true what is being said that Fairchild wants him to stay in the pocket and make the throw rather then scramble. They don't want him to run because they want him to learn the basics and develop good habits of staying and making the play in the pocket, and move only when necessary, something that could take a little while longer to develop but will be worth it in the end. He seems to be a cheaper version of Vick, and look at how long it took Vick to look like an actual NFL QB (he's still developing) and it may be partial because they just let him run all the time

That may not be his fault if it is true what is being said that Fairchild wants him to stay in the pocket and make the throw rather then scramble. They don't want him to run because they want him to learn the basics and develop good habits of staying and making the play in the pocket, and move only when necessary, something that could take a little while longer to develop but will be worth it in the end. He seems to be a cheaper version of Vick, and look at how long it took Vick to look like an actual NFL QB (he's still developing) and it may be partial because they just let him run all the time

827779[/snapback]

I would take the NON QB vick over this QB Losman anyday. While Vick "took so long to develop" he still helped his team win and make the playoffs. Largely off of his legs. LET JP RUN!

I would take the NON QB vick over this QB Losman anyday. While Vick "took so long to develop" he still helped his team win and make the playoffs. Largely off of his legs. LET JP RUN!

827784[/snapback]

I was about to post that as well, heh.

I say let him run, too. The kid throws a good ball when he rolls out, and he's got some wheels. Maybe instead of teaching him to stay in the pocket, teach him to slide and get out of bounds instead of taking a hit like he's had a tendency to do in the past.

Quit trying to harness his game....he's got other aspects to it, so let's put them to use.

I say let him run, too. The kid throws a good ball when he rolls out, and he's got some wheels. Maybe instead of teaching him to stay in the pocket, teach him to slide and get out of bounds instead of taking a hit like he's had a tendency to do in the past.

Quit trying to harness his game....he's got other aspects to it, so let's put them to use.

827787[/snapback]

IMO JP throws a better ball when he's on the run rather then when he sits in the pocket. When he has time, he tends to overthrow. I honestly do not think he is the QB of the future for the Bills.

IMO JP throws a better ball when he's on the run rather then when he sits in the pocket.  When he has time, he tends to overthrow.  I honestly do not think he is the QB of the future for the Bills.

827795[/snapback]

reluctantly, I'm starting to think he's not, too.

1. JP held the ball too long on a few occasions, he should not be afraid to throw the ball away if there are no other options. He was sacked for huge losses.

2. Quit telegraphing your passes, I was in the upper deck and it was very easy for me to observe him staring down his receiver.

3. Do not be afraid to call an audible (I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up earlier). I don't know if he has called 1 audible all year. There were several plays yesterday where Green Bay was showing heavy blitz and the play was not changed to either a 3 step drop or even shotgun formation with a quick toss to a WR. Many options for audibles, none used.

4. Work on accuracy, he made some awful throws yesterday, the TD to Evans was awesome and much needed but badly underthrown.

5. Last and most importantly, be a General on the field. Command your receivers and your O-line. If someone misses a block or runs the wrong route let them know about it in a decent manner. Being an a-hole will alienate, making a teamate aware that you need their help and need them to succeed so that you can succeed is not going to alienate anyone.

His accuracy is not a problem; especially when he is given time to set his feet and he makes up his mind to throw to an open receiver. It wasn't a problem yesterday or hasn't been an issue so far this year. There have been plenty of times so far this year he has held onto the ball and locked onto a receiver, yesterday there was only one or maybe 2 instances where he held the ball too long. Frankly yesterday there was too much pressure allowed up the middle so he didn't have time to throw or room to step up in the pocket and that did result in a few short throws. That combined with 2 key drops made it look all the worse.

He doesn't feel pressure or have a feel for the pocket. He hasn't been moving well within the pocket to avoid the pressure and he locks onto receivers. I want the kid to succeed and be the man, I'm wavering in my faith though.

He is obviously bad at tucking the ball as well. On Run left (over Peters, which they did a lot) after the handoff, Losman would roll right. Never once did a single D-line man follow him or for that matter the safety or corner spy him either on the plays i noted this happening.

His hands are held out in front of him.

It's clear he hasn't got the ball.

On the other side, Favre still keeps the line honest for the play action long enough, pretending to keep the ball on his back hip.

After some time this difference between the 2 became really obvious. Now is that the coach not picking up on this trait, not knowing or is it down to Losman to watch Favre playing Sunday and seeing it for himself and making a conscious decesion to try and keep the run defense honest a little while longer by copying?

3.  Do not be afraid to call an audible (I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up earlier).  I don't know if he has called 1 audible all year.  There were several plays yesterday where Green Bay was showing heavy blitz and the play was not changed to either a 3 step drop or even shotgun formation with a quick toss to a WR.  Many options for audibles, none used.

827803[/snapback]

How do you know? The only ones who know if he called a audible are the coaches and the players on the field. That's impossible for a fan to know, that's why it has not been mentioned.