Another Legacy Of Conservative Revolution

I follow Rush.  :wub:  The government has shown time and time again that it can't handle money resposibly...including wars you nimrod.  Most Americans agree with you?  Can you provide any support of that?  Having the government fund cancer research is the moral thing to do?  :flirt:    If you feel so strongly about the government taking care of you from cradle to grave, why are you funding your own retirement?

827513[/snapback]

Does it matter? Really? Should we really take an opinion poll of the most uniformed generation in American history? That seems amazing considering the sheer amount of information available but it's true. Giving money to the government to reallocate because "A WHOLE LOT OF AMERICANS THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA" is the reason they steal so much from us in the first place.

Guys like this clown are the reason we revolted against the British in the first place - to escape the stupidity and money grab from those who will do far more harm than good with it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The government has shown time and time again that it can't handle money resposibly.  Most Americans agree with you?  Can you provide any support of that?  Having the government fund cancer research is the moral thing to do?  :flirt:    If you feel so strongly about the government taking care of you from cradle to grave, why are you funding your own retirement?

827513[/snapback]

Sure, all the advance in science and medicine that were made with government grants are useless, sure, sure!

Can I provide proof the Americans support cancer research? No, I don't need to its obvious Americans want cures for this. LOL, next time I see a Conservative politicians running on a campaign to eliminate cancer research funding I'll post it here.

And cancer research has nothing to do with cradle to grave care. But that you link it shows you care more about your Conservative ideology than actually having anything accomplished to help people.

Does it matter?  Really?  Should we really take an opinion poll of the most uniformed generation in American history?  That seems amazing considering the sheer amount of information available but it's true.  Giving money to the government to reallocate because "A WHOLE LOT OF AMERICANS THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA" is the reason they steal so much from us in the first place.

Guys like this clown are the reason we revolted against the British in the first place - to escape the stupidity and money grab from those who will do far more harm than good with it.

827527[/snapback]

Oh great, a 'taxes are a form of theft' moron has appeared! :flirt:

Sure, all the advance in science and medicine that were made with government grants are useless, sure, sure!

Can I provide proof the Americans support cancer research? No, I don't need to its obvious Americans want cures for this. LOL, next time I see a Conservative politicians running on a campaign to eliminate cancer research funding I'll post it here.

And cancer research has nothing to do with cradle to grave care. But that you link it shows you care more about your Conservative ideology than actually having anything accomplished to help people.

827532[/snapback]

Did you ever think that what they were cutting was waste? Or is that too much of a conservative notion for you to grasp?

Did you ever think that what they were cutting was waste?  Or is that too much of a conservative notion for you to grasp?

827581[/snapback]

Typically, government bureaucracies want as much funding as possible. They generally respond to funding cuts by eliminating their most necessary services first. Then they throw up their hands and say, "Look at all the things we had to cut because we were underfunded. Give us the money we need, and these things wouldn't happen."

This may indeed be an attempt to cut waste. Whether the attempt proves successful remains to be seen.

If cutting cancer research by 1% makes the Republicans "pure evil", then whats that make the Democrats, who look to increase speding public tax dollars on abortions?

Oh...I forgot...everyone say it with me...

"BUT THATS DIFFERENT!!!!!!"

826987[/snapback]

I am not proud of the fact that I tend to want abortion to be legal, but your post is (imo) the best in this thread.

Btw, both sides are full of crap. If the repubs and dems would stop ushering in illegal aliens and handing the bill for their medical care to tax paying Americans, there might be enough money to in fact find a cure for cancer and other diseases.

This will never happen because this invading force represents potential votes for dems, and cheap labor for the wealthy who control the repubs (and for that matter, the dems as well).

The money for research that the OP wants is being spent controlling TB, and a sack full of other diseases that illegals import, along with drugs, and the tax payers are forced by corrupt pols to pick up the check.

I am not proud of the fact that I tend to want abortion to be legal, but your post is (imo) the best in this thread.

Btw, both sides are full of crap. If the repubs and dems would stop ushering in illegal aliens and handing the bill for their medical care to tax paying Americans, there might be enough money to in fact find a cure for cancer and other diseases.

This will never happen because this invading force represents potential votes for dems, and cheap labor for the wealthy who control the repubs (and for that matter, the dems as well).

The money for research that the OP wants is being spent controlling TB, and a sack full of other diseases that illegals import, along with drugs, and the tax payers are forced by corrupt pols to pick up the check.

827954[/snapback]

Frankly I want a woman's right to choose to be legal as well, albiet in a more resticted form. Abortions for all, on demand is borderline genocide, IMO. Legal and regulated, within reason is better than a black market.

I used this example only to point out the hypocrisy of the original post. But the more I read the thread and the posters comments, the more I realized this guy is just full of crap. Completely.

Cancer will not be erradicated, no matter how much money you throw at it. Almost every cancer type is like a different disease. We know what causes it- genetic mutation, be it natural (cosmic rays or inherited) or induced by man (smoking). Some will kill you no matter what.

Look at all the money wasted in California. A proposition was passed to tax cigarettes (and another one is on the ballot today) to fund anti-smoking ads and programs. It wsa highjacked and most goes to the general fund. Thank you Meathead (Rob Reiner was the proponent).

Oh great, a 'taxes are a form of theft' moron has appeared!  ;)

827535[/snapback]

And they aren't? I live in Canada, the 'Government does everything for me' paradise. Go luck up sponsorhip scandals, as well as other government wasted tax dollars then get back to me. Actually, don't get back to me since you're a !@#$ing moron.

827954[/snapback]

Your post commands respect.

Cancer will not be erradicated, no matter how much money you throw at it. 

I don't know that there are grounds for this much confidence. One aspect of cancer cells is that they're not subject to natural aging. The telomeres on cancer cells stay the same length. If your normal cells worked the same way, you wouldn't age either.

I've heard of research involving telomeres--both to cure cancer by attacking telomeres, and to cure aging by improving the telomere situation on your normal cells. Will this research lead anywhere? I don't know. But I certainly don't want these types of projects to go unfunded simply because the government was too busy wasting money elsewhere to spend it usefully here.

I don't know that there are grounds for this much confidence. One aspect of cancer cells is that they're not subject to natural aging. The telomeres on cancer cells stay the same length. If your normal cells worked the same way, you wouldn't age either.

I've heard of research involving telomeres--both to cure cancer by attacking telomeres, and to cure aging by improving the telomere situation on your normal cells. Will this research lead anywhere? I don't know. But I certainly don't want these types of projects to go unfunded simply because the government was too busy wasting money elsewhere to spend it usefully here.

828855[/snapback]

Whatever it is, watching someone suffer from it is hell on its own. TBH I have no idea if there is some genetic predisposition to getting cancer, but if it is, I am unlucky since my father and grandfather both passed away from it.

828855[/snapback]

A company was started to try to do this called Geron. I had two friends who worked there. They were working on it since the early 90s. Nothing came of it and the company basically went into stem cells. About 3 years ago, they laid off at least 50 % of their staff.

Activating thete;pmeres wouldn't "cure" aging becaise mutations accumulate in all the other genes. The DNA polymerase (the protein that copies your DNA) has a natural error rate. There are also proofreading enzymes to help correct those mistakes. Those also have an error rate. If it wasn't for these error rates, there would be no evolution.

Some people say that cancer is basically a bad side effect of evolution.

Why don't you, instead, explain WHY the government's job is to take care of us.

Start with a Constitutional basis...  ;)

825035[/snapback]

Hate to join this fight, but you should read the Declaration of Independence. Something about "promoting the general welfare" or some such. There are things that the majority of Americans can't do alone.

Which is different from "taking care of us".

829075[/snapback]

I do see his point, "promoting the general welfare" could be talking about health in general, and thus disease research.

I don't exactly agree with it, as I think its a different interpretation then what was intended (the protection of liberties and rights), but I do understand why he's saying it.

I do see his point, "promoting the general welfare" could be talking about health in general, and thus disease research.

I don't exactly agree with it, as I think its a different interpretation then what was intended (the protection of liberties and rights), but I do understand why he's saying it.

829078[/snapback]

I understand, too. I understood from the very beginning, when I called him an idiot. It's a common - and incredibly stupid - misconception that "general welfare" is identical to the sum of every individual's welfare, and that if you've taken care of every individual and protected them from harm, you've protected the general welfare. Any public health professional can tell you that the general welfare of the public is NOT the quantitative sum of the welfare of individuals. Ditto national defense. Ditto law enforcement. Ditto the economy. "Promoting the general welfare" and protecting people are two vastly different things.

I understand, too.  I understood from the very beginning, when I called him an idiot.  It's a common - and incredibly stupid - misconception that "general welfare" is identical to the sum of every individual's welfare, and that if you've taken care of every individual and protected them from harm, you've protected the general welfare.  Any public health professional can tell you that the general welfare of the public is NOT the quantitative sum of the welfare of individuals.  Ditto national defense.  Ditto law enforcement.  Ditto the economy.  "Promoting the general welfare" and protecting people are two vastly different things.

829097[/snapback]

I honestly expected that you understood. I dunno, I was more or less thinking about my own opinion on the subject out loud. ;)

A company was started to  try to do this called Geron. I had two friends who worked there.  They were working on it since the early 90s. Nothing came of it and the company basically went into stem cells. About 3 years ago, they laid off at least 50 % of their staff.

Activating thete;pmeres wouldn't "cure" aging becaise mutations accumulate in all the other genes. The DNA polymerase (the protein that copies your DNA) has a natural error rate. There are also proofreading enzymes to help correct those mistakes. Those also have an error rate.  If it wasn't for these error rates, there would be no evolution.

Some people say that cancer is basically a bad side effect of evolution.

829031[/snapback]

Thanks for the inside scoop. But even though those researchers ran into trouble, I'd hate to see others be unable to try something just because of a lack of funding. There are many cases where something was presumed impossible only to later be achieved--heavier than air flight, traveling faster than the speed of sound, etc.