Let it be known

Mikie2times

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you guys except for KzooMike saying Gandy didn't work out at LG so the Bears moved him to LT? That makes no sense at all. Gee, this guy isn't getting it done at G so let's move him to LT where he can really get us killed!!! :angry:  Actually, I've said before, I think Gandy will do well at LG but I agree to do whatever it takes to get Steinbach in here. We could still resign Gandy if his play merits it over these next 9 games and let him fight for a job on the right side or servicable backup, hell, it's been a while since we've even had one of those! :P Who knows, Steinbach could even play LT or so I've heard so I say throw him the freakin' money and let the chips fall where they may.

822775[/snapback]

What are you basing your opinion on Gandy from? He played almost all G in college, was drafted by the Bears, and played several games at G. They switched him over to T, which is the same position the Bills kept him at. Now he's being switched back to G for the Bills. What we know is he was young and not very expensive when we signed him. Despite that he didn't receive any offer from Chicago. We also know his time at LT in Buffalo has resulted in him being switched back to G. I don't see how any of this points to him being a legit LG prospect. Sadly he's still one of Buffalo's better linemen. Being such a versatile player he would be great for depth on a good line.

Dibs...I think maybe he's saying there's no way in hell we'll sign Steinbach because why the hell would he want to come to Buffalo? A losing organization when the grass is much greener on EVERY other side?

Plus the old timers in the front office will probably say "we don't need him" and pick up some other team's trash o-lineman.

Just my opinion. I'm very critical because the front office hasn't done anything right in some time. (Although I liked our draft this year)

Just my opinion. I'm very critical because the front office hasn't done anything right in some time. (Although I liked our draft this year)

823422[/snapback]

See....new front office.....nice draft. :D

I suppose a lot will come back to money. Will we pay? I don't see why not....we payed for Spikes....& Clements this year. Will he come? Edge went from IND to ARI. Often it is simply the money.....and in today's NFL, players know(or should know) that teams are a champion one day....and a loser the next....& vice versa.

It's pessimistic to believe we won't get him.

It's optimistic to believe we will get him.

It's realistic to believe we might get him.

I'm operating under the assumption that Pennington will pan out as RT. I think Gandy might be OK at LG, which leads me to conclude that Buffalo's most immediate need on the offensive line for next year will be at RG, where Chris Villarrial can't stay healthy. He wasn't healthy last season. He hasn't been full healthy yet this season. The Green Bay game might be the first of the season. The problem with drafting a rookie to plug in is that Pennington will be just a second year player. If he's really precocious that might work, but Pennington didn't come from a big scho9ol and he was pretty raw when drafted. It's a lot to expect he can learn enough to both handle his own position and help out a rookie next year. If Reyes can handle it, I probably would move him in to start at RG next season, and draft a guard in the second or third round to groom as a future starter. Then there is the possiblity that Merz really blossoms. He actually handled himself OK the one game he started.

I'm operating under the assumption that Pennington will pan out as RT.  I think Gandy might be OK at LG, which leads me to conclude that Buffalo's most immediate need on the offensive line for next year will be at RG, where Chris Villarrial can't stay healthy.  He wasn't healthy last season.  He hasn't been full healthy yet this season.  The Green Bay game might be the first of the season.  The problem with drafting a rookie to plug in is that Pennington will be just a second year player.  If he's really precocious that might work, but Pennington didn't come from a big scho9ol and he was pretty raw when drafted.  It's a lot to expect he can learn enough to both handle his own position and help out a rookie next year.  If Reyes can handle it, I probably would move him in to start at RG next season, and draft a guard in the second or third round to groom as a future starter.  Then there is the possiblity that Merz really blossoms.  He actually handled himself OK the one game he started.

Gandy is an UFA after the season and I expect him to look for LT money because he's played the position. I don't know how that will workout for him, but I see him being gone. So I'm expecting the Bills needing a new LG, RG, and I'm hoping for an upgrade at center. I'm also hoping that Steinbach can play center, because he's the only top OL FA out there next year.

See....new front office.....nice draft. :w00t:

I suppose a lot will come back to money.  Will we pay?  I don't see why not....we payed for Spikes....& Clements this year. 

823427[/snapback]

I would be more confident if I would have read about the Bills making any kind of attempt for Hutchinson, who is generally considered one of the 2 best Guards in the NFL. Spike did get paid, but by TD. Clements is a defensive back, so his franchise tag was anything but a shock.

As far as the "nice draft," OK, D-Man. :D

As far as the "nice draft," OK, D-Man.  :D

823660[/snapback]

Switch Mangold for McCargo and I'd bet you'd be calling this the best Bills draft since some point in the eighties. There has to be something you like about these young players we picked up, no?

I would be more confident if I would have read about the Bills making any kind of attempt for Hutchinson, who is generally considered one of the 2 best Guards in the NFL. Spike did get paid, but by TD. Clements is a defensive back, so his franchise tag was anything but a shock.

As far as the "nice draft," OK, D-Man.  :D

823660[/snapback]

Hutch was coming at near-tackle money and he gets to play dome ball 8 weeks of the year instead of at RWS. I think it would have crippled us to spend that kind of money on a guard and best Minny's offer. Also, I wasn't looking at numbers but their line didn't look like anything special against NE. Best course of action really would be keeping your Ruben Browns unless you have a really good guy waiting in the wings to supplant him. Bringing in the outside guys is just going to be very costly.

That said, if Steinbach is coming for less than Hutch money we might have an outside chance. Depends on the other needs, confidence in finding a guy in the draft, and more importantly on the next 9 weeks of the season, where we find out if Gandy can play guard much better than he played tackle -- and if Pennington has any potential whatsoever. I think Villarial is going to NEED to be replaced, within the next 16 Bills games, so that still puts us with a need at guard.

Last thought, if stuckincincy is right and Steinbach might be perceived by anyone as tackle material, he is going to come at an unapproachable premium.

Switch Mangold for McCargo and I'd bet you'd be calling this the best Bills draft since some point in the eighties. There has to be something you like about these young players we picked up, no?

823700[/snapback]

I guaranty, you are going to see next year the real benefits of this years draft class. The defense, with a little tweaking will be top 15 next year. Mark it down. Mcgargo & Williams will anchor the line & Whitner & Simpson(with possibly Youboty) will lock down the secondary. There wont be the rookie mistakes you are seeing this year. I still say, if we are picking somewhere between 8-12(which I expect) you take the best linebacker on the board. Let Spikes come back(Im confident he will be the old spikes next year) look at Julian Peterson, say goodby to fletcher(i think his time has come) & you have a prettyy good lbcking corp with Spikes, Crowell & hopefully your stud middle linebacker you picked up in the draft. Sign a CB to replace playmaker & throw whatever fa money you are going to spend on the offensive line. If your going to have to overpay for a guy like steinbach by all means do it.

I guaranty, you are going to see next year the real benefits of this years draft class.  The defense, with a little tweaking will be top 15 next year.  Mark it down.....

823762[/snapback]

You obviously don't realize it.....& I'd imagine most Bills fans don't because we are so used to being awful but.....

we are top 15 now. :w00t:

That's right....with no momentum.....after playing three awful games in a row.....starting 3(4) rookies all year.....new scheme...etc,etc,etc....& we are still ranked #15 in YPG(which is the standard ranking stat for D).

Link to stats

A step-up by McCargopants next year & this D has the potential to be top 5.

LT-Brown

LG- Steinbach

C-Fowler

RG-Beekman

RT-Peters

D-Line

DE-Schobel

DT-Williams

DT-Free Agent, McCargo, or Draft pick

DE-Ryan Denney, Chris Kelsay, an early 2nd day pick.

822756[/snapback]

There's no way we do that.

Makes way too much sense.

Steinbach will want what Hutchinson got - and maybe a bit more.

824283[/snapback]

If he does he's dreaming.

How do you figure he'll (legitimately) want more than the highest amount(by far) ever paid to a OG? Steinbach is very good....Hutch is great.....there is no way Steiny will command a greater(or even similar) price.

If he does he's dreaming.

How do you figure he'll (legitimately) want more than the highest amount(by far) ever paid to a OG?  Steinbach is very good....Hutch is great.....there is no way Steiny will command a greater(or even similar) price.

824284[/snapback]

Steinbach, IMO, is just as good as Hutchinson.

The success of the Cincinnati's offense speaks for itself.

Their line is regularly ranked #1 or #2, and Eric is a huge part of that.

Plus, even if you think he's a tad below Hutch, there's still a team (or two) that will overpay for him.

I just don't think we'll go that route.