Can't we all just agree...this team does NOT

Reed83HOF

it has been a long time since this team had the talent & coaching needed to compete in this league...How many posts focus on the OL, the WRs, the RBs, the QBs, the DL, the DBs, the LBs...

The only unquestionable talent this team has is a kicker & a punter...

here is my QB rant...I am sick of the bench him or leave him in threads...we all keep looking for the next best QB...

Teams and fans were spoiled in the 80's and 90's with great QBs (Montana, Kelly, Marino, Elway, Farve, Moon, Young, Aikman, even Deadslow -early on, Cunningham) and average QBs (Boomer, Bernie, Simms, Deadslow-later on)

Franchise QBs are just not falling out of the sky like the used to...some of this has to do with the evolution of Defenses and most notably the RDE position that one of, if not the best, Defensive player of all time helped revolutionize (read Bruce Smith) - this made the LT position become one of the most important components of an Offense...it is hard to find a talented LT who has long arms - to block a quick DE, big size - to hold back smaller DE's and compete with big speed rushers, quick feet - to move back into coverage against the quick DEs & a brain to know when to jam a DE and when to fall back and let the speed rusher come to them (Gandy does not have this)....

After a period of time, space-eating huge DT's became the next part of the Defense evolution, you now needed exceptionally strong Gs and Cs who could move them off of the line of scrimage...

OLs have a huge responsibility in the development of a QB early on..How many times have we heard that the QB has to tools to be successful and they fizzle out? In the past it was easier for a QB to develop Defenses were not as complicated, the players weren't as specialized or as big as they are now; the OLs got left behind for a period of time and eventually they got better....how many franchise QB's exist now (McNabb, P Manning) Average (Brees, McNair, E. Manning)? (Vick can't throw-yet? so he isn't included..Do they play behind good OLs? If you are lucky enough to find one; they will keep your franchise successful as long as they are there...

If you still have a not so good OL, your QB will take a beating, a young QB who wants to do well and pushes himeself, will develop terrible habbits that will be very difficult to break later on their career even if the OL gets better (old habits are hard to break) - happy feet, quick misreads & rushed throws, holding the ball too long trying to just make a play, once the ball is snapped they are focusing on preparing to get hit instead of making the play...

RJ had the physical tools to be successful, he ultimately turned out awful partially do the the OL, he was beaten like a rag doll the GMs and coaches did not put him in a position to succeed early on; he didn't have to OL talent (or a brain)...JP (i am not a hater) but a lot of the arguments on this board make me think of RJ and that scares me...he should have the entire season to show what he can do and we should hold off evalutions until then; changing to Holcumb or Nall does nothing for us...depending on our draft position and the other teams ahead of us, we may not end up with a QB even if JP does terrible the second half

Our WRs cannot get open...read my past threads on this one, we do not play an elite D every week in which they can't get open (Yes I'm sure JP has missed some throws and wide open targets - sometimes he has the time to hit them & other times he doesn't - he's still young and this is to be expected)

Our RBs; RBs behind a great OL appear better than they are and RBs behind poor OLs are often better than they appear....Willis has the potential to do well with a good OL....

The be an offective Offense you need to have an OL that can counter quick, big, strong defenses...Good OL are very hard to come by...Everything on an Offense starts up front...Our TEs who we need to be able to pass to are counted on to block too much....most of our series are in a max protect set....

you can counter act poor OL play by moving the QB around - bootlegs, rollouts, etc; quick WR slants over the middle, quick passes to the backs in the flat - of Shelton can't catch...but Fairchild isn't doign this....

Has anyone noticed some similar playcalling this year compared to MM & Killdrive? Passing on short yardage situtations?? - oh yeah the OL still gets blown off the LOS....

Our D is a bit diffent story, we are going from one scheme to the complete opposite scheme, we just don't have all of the players necessary to fit into the scheme...the ones we do have, are rookies....

My point is that there is a ton of issues that we need to address...whoever the QB is, will not develop or succeed without adequate time or even improved playcalling & franchise QBs are nearly impossible to come by; the RBs...tough to say without a OL that doesn't get blown off of the LOS, the WRs don't get open often enough (playcalling is suspect here too...they never go over the middle, never find a soft spot in zone coverage...on almost every play the D has 8 men in the bix and we still can't do anything..how often do we here coverage sack? The D - we need more talent....TKO is still healing, Flecth isn't what he was (could be from the lack of size at the DT position), McGee may not be suited for the Cover 2, Clements is gone - is a very me oriented player...

On the positive side, we will have a ton of cap room this year and another draft without TD; but we are still a couple of years away....and who knows how we end up?

This year? I think we have the talent to compete and did compete with some pretty good games until the Chicago game. What I don't like is when a team gets whipped and lays down on the floor licking its wounds for the rest of the season. I am disappointed that seems to have happened and expect the Bills to take this week to get off the floor and come out fighting.

That being said we have mediocre talent overall and poor offensive and defensive lines. We can and should win 5 or six games and I'd love to see us win 7 or 8 games. If we had addressed the lines in the offseason we'd be in the hunt for a wild card. We have to play out the rest of the season for pride and development and then address the personnel problems in the offiseason.

Problem is you think you've addressed the problems (Reyes, Fowler), given the dearth of talent out there, you find out you've rolled snakeeyes again, and you have to give it another roll the next offseason.

Sure, we could have tried to bring in Bentley (neglecting that he was dead-set on the Browns). We could have bested what was an astronomical offer for Hutchinson. But look at what that bought the Browns. It's hard to ever tell in the NFL these days.

I'm of the opinion that very few teams are very good, and these are the ones with the bona fide stars, possible Hall of Famers i.e. Manning. Others have good team management and are able to plug in, catch a fire and it will sometimes work ala Belicheck and Cowher. Knowing that we likely don't have that HOF caliber player, that's what we're hoping for here and it doesn't happen all the time, everywhere.

This team has enough talent to compete each week.

However, it does not have enough talent to overcome the stupid penalties and turnovers they incur way too often.

The other missing factor in the last few games has been the intensity and high energy that can compensate for lack of superior talent.

This team has enough talent to compete each week.

However, it does not have enough talent to overcome the stupid penalties and turnovers they incur way too often.

The other missing factor in the last few games has been the intensity and high energy that can compensate for lack of superior talent.

822104[/snapback]

This team has lacked energy in the last 4 weeks, it's quite pathetic actually. You would think that a younger team like the Bills would come out psyched to play each week but that hasn't appeared to have been the case.

After your long write up.  I disagree.  I think in a few positions, they need to upgrade... as a whole they are on the edge of being a playoff team.

822002[/snapback]

Have you watched any games over the past 7 years? how about the last 7 games? even if we ended with a 5-2 record...this team is not that good...we are no where close to being on the edge of the playoffs...maybe after 1 more solid offseason we could say close...but the reality is this team still has a lot of needs...2-3 more solid years....check out today's bills daily article....that sums it all up...

This franchise hasn't been the same since the forward pass playoff game in 99....after that game, everything changed...the franchise no longer knew how to win or to persevere...which is what we were know for for over 10 years and hung our hats on...

while we do have some players(Not many -Evans, TKO, MCGahee, Lindell, Mormon) who are talented players (we mostly have role players); they are not leaders - they do not inpsire one another to win in the face of adversity...if you think Fletcher is a leader....refer back to his post game comments after the vikings game....he thought here we go again...we came so close and it comes down to this again? this time the clock saved them...this losing mentality is engrained in too many of the veteran players on our team...

each year you hear we need to be mentally tough, we are gonna play smash motuh football, we are going to do this we are going to do that...once the first sign of adversity appears...the team falls flat...it has been this way for the last 7 years...

Another reason why I say this team does lack talent, is that if it was one or two positions, then the discussions in the media and on this board would be only regarding those players....look at the board...the WRs, the OL, the DL, the CBs, the rookie safteys, the QB, the RBs- we should have kept Henry, A train should start...this list goes on and on...each of these is a symptom of a larger problem...the overall talent isn't where it should be...even RW said the talent level on the team is way below what he thought...it is...it is very tough to determine which players could be good if their supproting cast is different (Willis, JP, Evans)

If I am wrong, please help me understand why by providing some proof, I could be missing it or have just dwelled on the last few lossess way to much...but like Holcumbs Arm stated in one post...please provide some facts..and not just I disagree...why do you disagree...why are you right?

Another reason why I say this team does lack talent, is that if it was one or two positions, then the discussions in the media and on this board would be only regarding those players....look at the board...the WRs, the OL, the DL, the CBs, the rookie safteys, the QB, the RBs- we should have kept Henry, A train should start...this list goes on and on...each of these is a symptom of a larger problem...the overall talent isn't where it should be...even RW said the talent level on the team is way below what he thought...it is...it is very tough to determine which players could be good if their supproting cast is different (Willis, JP, Evans)

823097[/snapback]

Apart from the simple concept that people like to hurl blame when they don't understand things.....

You may well be right & we may be deficient in most areas.....history however typically shows that the appearance of having a totally rubbish roster is not usually the case. Teams can seemingly overnight turn from all-woes to all-pros. Again, I'm not saying that that is the case with us because we are playing like a bunch of losers at the moment but it most likely does aply to us.

Examples.....

The 2000 Patriots were considered one of the most talentless teams in the league. Coming into 2001, they were still regarded as having well below average talent & most predicted another 5-11 year for them. We know now that they had several veteran players who were simply under performing & they had several young players just about to 'get it'.....and Brady.

The 2004(& 2005) Bears. In 2004, the Bears had the 21st ranked D(25th against the rush, 15th against the pass). There was very little about them(or many of their players) that stood out. In 2005 their D shot up to #2 in the league & we now recognize the depth of talent they have....but their offence was terrible at 29th. This year(with 20 of 22 starters from last year) their Offence has come alive....all their offensive players are now considered minimally decent....whereas last year they were mostly competent at best.

Winning & performing as a team changes the perception of the individuals talent levels on a team.

Again I put forward that with a few choice improvements we could all of a sudden be right up there. If the new OL alignment works improvements, we may only need 1 OLman....an improved JP......one DT.....& it might be happy days again for the Bills.

Then again...... :D

I personally dont feel we are that far away, the remainder of the season my change my mind though. It basically comes down to what happens with the OL shuffle. As of today, I think our trenches on both sides of the ball needs to be address, mainly the tackle positions. Possibly a corner also.

The reason I say this is, if the OL constantly needs help from the TE and backs for blocking, your taking half of your weapons away.......thus having less targets for the QB. Up till know, we know JP hasnt had a lot of time to through the ball for the most part, in which the recievers have little time for thier routes. There is no SPREADING of the defense.

On the other side of the ball, our line is not getting constant preasure on the QB thus allowing all the time in the world for thier recievers to get open. You can only cover some one so long before some one losses his assignment. If we bring in a corner to help the lines we have less coverage...... Another unknown is how much of the inexperience of our rookies is making our vets look bad by watching out for them too thus doing trying to do to much?

So I think that we need to give it time to make the assesment!

it will all come in time!

it has been a long time since this team had the talent & coaching needed to compete in this league...How many posts focus on the OL, the WRs, the RBs, the QBs, the DL, the DBs, the LBs...

here is my QB rant...I am sick of the bench him or leave him in threads...we all keep looking for the next best QB...

Teams and fans were spoiled in the 80's and 90's with great QBs (Montana, Kelly, Marino, Elway, Farve, Moon, Young, Aikman, even Deadslow -early on, Cunningham) and average QBs (Boomer, Bernie, Simms, Deadslow-later on)

Franchise QBs are just not falling out of the sky like the used to...some of this has to do with the evolution of Defenses and most notably the RDE position that one of, if not the best, Defensive player of all time helped revolutionize (read Bruce Smith) - this made the LT position become one of the most important components of an Offense...it is hard to find a talented LT who has long arms - to block a quick DE, big size - to hold back smaller DE's and compete with big speed rushers, quick feet - to move back into coverage against the quick DEs & a brain to know when to jam a DE and when to fall back and let the speed rusher come to them (Gandy does not have this)....

After a period of time, space-eating huge DT's became the next part of the Defense evolution, you now needed exceptionally strong Gs and Cs who could move them off of the line of scrimage...

OLs have a huge responsibility in the development of a QB early on..How many times have we heard that the QB has to tools to be successful and they fizzle out? In the past it was easier for a QB to develop Defenses were not as complicated, the players weren't as specialized or as big as they are now; the OLs got left behind for a period of time and eventually they got better....how many franchise QB's exist now (McNabb, P Manning) Average (Brees, McNair, E. Manning)? (Vick can't throw-yet? so he isn't included..Do they play behind good OLs? If you are lucky enough to find one; they will keep your franchise successful as long as they are there...

If you still have a not so good OL, your QB will take a beating, a young QB who wants to do well and pushes himeself, will develop terrible habbits that will be very difficult to break later on their career even if the OL gets better (old habits are hard to break) - happy feet, quick misreads & rushed throws, holding the ball too long trying to just make a play, once the ball is snapped they are focusing on preparing to get hit instead of making the play...

RJ had the physical tools to be successful, he ultimately turned out awful partially do the the OL, he was beaten like a rag doll the GMs and coaches did not put him in a position to succeed early on; he didn't have to OL talent (or a brain)...JP (i am not a hater) but a lot of the arguments on this board make me think of RJ and that scares me...he should have the entire season to show what he can do and we should hold off evalutions until then; changing to Holcumb or Nall does nothing for us...depending on our draft position and the other teams ahead of us, we may not end up with a QB even if JP does terrible the second half

Our WRs cannot get open...read my past threads on this one, we do not play an elite D every week in which they can't get open (Yes I'm sure JP has missed some throws and wide open targets - sometimes he has the time to hit them & other times he doesn't - he's still young and this is to be expected)

Our RBs; RBs behind a great OL appear better than they are and RBs behind poor OLs are often better than they appear....Willis has the potential to do well with a good OL....

The be an offective Offense you need to have an OL that can counter quick, big, strong defenses...Good OL are very hard to come by...Everything on an Offense starts up front...Our TEs who we need to be able to pass to are counted on to block too much....most of our series are in a max protect set....

you can counter act poor OL play by moving the QB around - bootlegs, rollouts, etc; quick WR slants over the middle, quick passes to the backs in the flat - of Shelton can't catch...but Fairchild isn't doign this....

Has anyone noticed some similar playcalling this year compared to MM & Killdrive? Passing on short yardage situtations?? - oh yeah the OL still gets blown off the LOS....

Our D is a bit diffent story, we are going from one scheme to the complete opposite scheme, we just don't have all of the players necessary to fit into the scheme...the ones we do have, are rookies....

My point is that there is a ton of issues that we need to address...whoever the QB is, will not develop or succeed without adequate time or even improved playcalling & franchise QBs are nearly impossible to come by; the RBs...tough to say without a OL that doesn't get blown off of the LOS, the WRs don't get open often enough (playcalling is suspect here too...they never go over the middle, never find a soft spot in zone coverage...on almost every play the D has 8 men in the bix and we still can't do anything..how often do we here coverage sack? The D - we need more talent....TKO is still healing, Flecth isn't what he was (could be from the lack of size at the DT position), McGee may not be suited for the Cover 2, Clements is gone - is a very me oriented player...

On the positive side, we will have a ton of cap room this year and another draft without TD; but we are still a couple of years away....and who knows how we end up?

821973[/snapback]

RJ actually had a good O line compared to what we have now.

I agree that this team is woefully lacking in talent. We have a kicker,punter,kick returner,a too expensive DB,a running back, a receiver, a LB who may be finished,

a promising young pair of safeties.

Thats what we have now. JP is completely unproven--and you cant wait forever in this day and age.

If we make all the perfect moves--which probably includes dumping clements and spikes and fletcher we may be good in 2-3 years.

821973[/snapback]

OK, I agree

Have you watched any games over the past 7 years? how about the last 7 games? even if we ended with a 5-2 record...this team is not that good...we are no where close to being on the edge of the playoffs...maybe after 1 more solid offseason we could say close...but the reality is this team still has a lot of needs...2-3 more solid years....check out today's bills daily article....that sums it all up...

823078[/snapback]

First what does the past seven years have to do with anything? With this team? To answer your question, yes. I have watched the games and you should know that there were three that they lost 8 points or less. That to me, with some shake-ups and better play could be changed to three wins.

With that being said, they are on the EDGE of being a playoff team. They are learning, and they need to improve and they need to learn how to finish off a drive/opposing team.

2 to 3 more years... no way.

First what does the past seven years have to do with anything?  With this team?  To answer your question, yes.  I have watched the games and you should know that there were three that they lost 8 points or less.  That to me, with some shake-ups and better play could be changed to three wins.

With that being said, they are on the EDGE of being a playoff team.  They are learning, and they need to improve and they need to learn how to finish off a drive/opposing team.

2 to 3 more years... no way.

824070[/snapback]

First of all...Using your 8 points or less guideline

Sep 25 - Atlanta - L (16-24)

Nov 27 - Carolina - L (9-13)

Dec 4 - at Miami - L (23-24)

Jan 1 - at N.Y. Jets - L (26-30)

Here are 4 games from last season decided by 8 pts are less...edge of a playoff team thus far in 2006?

Sept. 12 Jacksonville - L (10-13)

Sept. 19 at Oakland - L (10-13)

Oct. 10 at New York Jets - L (14-16)

Jan. 2 Pittsburgh - L (24-29

here are 4 more games and this was from the best team since 99

| 10 | at Dallas Cowboys | L | 6-10 |

| 11 | Houston Texans | L | 10-12 |

| 12 | Indianapolis Colts | L | 14-17

| 15 | at Tennessee Titans | L | 26-28 |

4 more...

| 1 | New York Jets | L | 31-37

| 3 | at Denver Broncos | L | 23-28

| 11 | at Kansas City Chiefs | L | 16-17 |

3 more...

| 4 | New York Jets | L | 36-42 |

| 7 | at San Diego Chargers | L | 24-27 |

| 10 | Seattle Seahawks | L | 20-23 |

| 11 | Miami Dolphins | L | 27-34 |

| 14 | New England Patriots | L | 9-12 |

| 15 | at Atlanta Falcons | L | 30-33 |

I forgot how bad this season was...6 games

| 5 | Indianapolis Colts | L | 16-18 |

| 6 | at Miami Dolphins | L | 13-22 | * 9 points...close enough

| 8 | at Minnesota Vikings | L | 27-31 |

| 16 | New England Patriots | L | 10-13 |

3 or 4 more

If you looked at 10 points are less...add another 2 games each season....

What the past 7 years has to do with this is that...oh we only lost by 8 points or less we are close to being a good team...this has been said by a countless number of people - myself included, for many years now....and we have the same result...we should've won this game, this game etc...what do we have to show for it? no playoffs since 99.

This team still has players from the last couple of years, there are what 42% of the players this year are new, guess what they were in 2001 too... we won 3 games that year, but by your philosphy seeing those 6 games were decided by 8 points or less, we were on the verge of the playoffs then too?

TD tried to do a few shakeups and keep some players, same results...good teams win the close games; we've had many close games the last 7 yrs and we haven't won them...this year included...as you stated 3 games so far...hopefully in 2-3 years...things will be corrected

What the past 7 years has to do with this is that...oh we only lost by 8 points are less we are close to being a good team...this has been said by a countless number of people - myself included, for many years now....and we have the same result...we should've won this game, this game etc...what do we have to show for it? no playoffs since 99.

824157[/snapback]

Good teams win those close games and mediocre teams lose them