Sabres on the verge of national attention

Tolstoy

Every now and then a sports team transcends the interest of its own league's fandom (e.g. the superbowl winner does it every year) and is brought to national attention whereby even people who are not fans of the sport hear about their achievements. I think the Sabres may well reach that level this year, and soon. I think, in fact, that this team could become as famous as the Oilers of the 80's, and as well, utterly shatter some NHL records.

We'll see. Please: nobody agree with me because we will jinx them. Everybody needs to say this is utterly stupid and the Sabres will lose many games very soon.

It's OK, because as far as the South Florida media is concerned, the Sabres don't even exist.

818337[/snapback]

I think that is probably the case in most cities. I will say that ESPN has been good about updating their progress. They are the lead NHL score on Mike&Mike / ESPN Radio when they are playing.

I think that is probably the case in most cities. I will say that ESPN has been good about updating their progress. They are the lead NHL score on Mike&Mike / ESPN Radio when they are playing.

818344[/snapback]

Sports center had a nice piece on them this morning. Afinogenov's goal was a classic

It's funny what winning can do.

As recently as a year and a half ago, many on this board were criticizing Lindy Ruff and the Sabres ownership for not improving the team, and some even said they'd never root for the team again, because the Sabres were headed for years in the basement.

Boy, how things have changed. Guess the fearless leaders knew what they were doing after all.

And it's my view that if the Sabres win it all with Sluggo on their sweaters, no one will hate that logo anymore.

Sports center had a nice piece on them this morning.  Afinogenov's goal was a classic

818353[/snapback]

Did you see the second replay of max's goal how they added special effects when he was pulling away from Witt? Kinda like he was in the matrix...cool.

Did you see the second replay of max's goal how they added special effects when he was pulling away from Witt?  Kinda like he was in the matrix...cool.

818366[/snapback]

Missed it, I'll try and catch it later.

Max skates 100 mph with his hair on fire.

And it's my view that if the Sabres win it all with Sluggo on their sweaters, no one will hate that logo anymore.

818355[/snapback]

I beg to differ. That logo good be tattooed on Jessica Alba's butt and it would take her from a Perfect 10 to a 5.

Every now and then a sports team transcends the interest of its own league's fandom (e.g. the superbowl winner does it every year) and is brought to national attention whereby even people who are not fans of the sport hear about their achievements.  I think the Sabres may well reach that level this year, and soon.  I think, in fact, that this team could become as famous as the Oilers of the 80's, and as well, utterly shatter some NHL records.

We'll see.  Please: nobody agree with me because we will jinx them.  Everybody needs to say this is utterly stupid and the Sabres will lose many games very soon.

818333[/snapback]

The Cincinnati Enquirer has been printing some stuff about them. Their hockey coverage is usually very minimal...the Columbus club doesn't exist in their minds.

But there is minor league hockey here - the owners and affiliations change with some frequency, but AFAIK, attendance is halfway decent. Who knows? - it might increase because they can still board, check and fight. :lol: