How many "Bills" fans are comforted by Sabres?

Mr. T

Does what the Sabres are doing so far this year make it any easier to be a Buffalo Bills Fan?

I haven't lived in Buffalo for 30 years now, but I still follow the Bills and Sabres about as much, if not more, (internet), as I did as a kid growing up in Buffalo.

When the Buffalo teams are doing good, I feel good. When they are doing bad, I feel like ..............empty.

I "love" what the Sabres are doing and am more excited about their chances this year to win it all than I've ever been.

But man, it doesn't do anything to take away the sting that comes from watching the Bills embarrass themselves. I know this was supposed to be a rebuilding year, and they weren't expected to when all 16 games. But to see them get blasted by the Bears, see them lose to the winless Lions, and than watch NE come into our house and treat them like step-children......brutal.

If the Sabres win all 82 games and take home the Lord Stanley Cup it won't make me feel any better about being a Bills fan.

I'm with you - I'm not a WNY native, thus, hockey has never meant sh-- to me. While I'm DEFINITELY happy that all of the locals (and many good people on this board) have something to cheer about, a good season for the Sabres doesn't mean that the Bills offseason is going to go any quicker for me.

I am also a transplanted Buffalonian and here's my take. The Sabres do not make me feel any better about the Bills, I feel great about the Sabres and numb about the Bills. I drag myself out of bed, head out to the sports bar every Sunday reisgned to the fact that the Bills suck. watch the game feeling much better if we win, slightly worse if/when we lose drink a few beers in the process and look forward to watching a few Sabres wins before the next Bills game.

Here's a question, will the Sabres have fewer losses than the Bills have wins?

100% YES!! As someone else mentioned earlier, the Bills have completely numbed me with the direction they are going. I have been watching every second of the Sabres as though they are in the playoffs. Any team that has a chance to bring a championship to this city has got to get you fired up!!

Lindy Ruff is The Master and these players are having a blast. I dropped over $200 on two Sabres tix for the opener (300 level) and got every cent worth. If I did not already have season tickets with the Bills, I would not be spending a dime on them. Hey, why spend your hard earned $$ on a crappy crappy product??

As long as the team has got Buffalo in it, I'm in! I used to have season tickets for the Sabres but they just got too expensive. I am definitely re-thinking it knowing that they play hard EVERY NIGHT!!!

I'm an NFL fan, not an NHL fan. While it's cool that a hometown team is considered the best, it doesn't really matter to me.

I think it's kind of stupid how people are trying to say that Buffalo is a hockey first town. No matter how good the Sabres are and how bad the Bills are, it'll always be a football first town.

If I did not already have season tickets with the Bills, I would not be spending a dime on them. Hey, why spend your hard earned $$ on a crappy crappy product??

As long as the team has got Buffalo in it, I'm in! I used to have season tickets for the Sabres but they just got too expensive. I am definitely re-thinking it knowing that they play hard EVERY NIGHT!!!

817696[/snapback]

Shouldn't that say "as long as the team has got Buffalo in it and they're winning, I'm in!" ?? You're statements contradict each other. The fans need to spend money to bring in good players. It hasn't been managed very well but you're going to end up hurting yourself trying to jump back on the band wagon when they start winning.

Shouldn't that say "as long as the team has got Buffalo in it and they're winning, I'm in!" ??  You're statements contradict each other. The fans need to spend money to bring in good players. It hasn't been managed very well but you're going to end up hurting yourself trying to jump back on the band wagon when they start winning.

817742[/snapback]

Get a clue and re-read my statement. I have been supporting both of these teams as long as i could walk. I can spend my $$ however the Hell I want to. If I have a choice to attend a Sabres game over the Bills and decide to do so, I will. That makes me no less of a Bills fan. Have fun spending your money on crap and continue to see zero changes.

Have you had season tickets since day one of the rock pile? Didn't think so - Next......

I am a transplanted WNYer, too. First, I am a Buffalo fan but I follow the Bills (season ticket holder) more closely than the Sabres.

But, just to show how the Sabres have trumped the Bills, I will relay the following. Every year, I give my sister (who lives in Buffalo) my season tix to one of the Bills games. This year she chose the Packers game. She just e-mailed me to ask if it was OK to sell those tickets because she wanted to get tickets to see the Sabres. She has a limited amount of $ for entertainment and this is how she would rather spend it. And she is having a difficult time getting Sabres tickets before January. That's how quickly the Bills have fallen. I told her she may have to find a Packer fan if she wants to sell those tickets.

Would the majority of Buffalo fans micromanage the Sabres if they weren't performing? The answer, unless your a true Sabres fan is no. Being from Michigan I support Michigan teams (Outside of the Bills). When Michigan teams do well all of a sudden EVERYBODY is a diehard fan. That's what I see happening in Buffalo. Obviously the Sabers have real die hards, but unless you’re a true fan of those other sports/teams no amount of success can replace the sinking feeling you get when your true team fails. Even if you say it does.

Would the majority of Buffalo fans micromanage the Sabers if they weren't performing? The answer, unless your a true Sabers fan is no.  Being from Michigan I support Michigan teams (Outside of the Bills). When Michigan teams do well all of a sudden EVERYBODY is a diehard fan. That's what I see happening in Buffalo. Obviously the Sabers have real die hards, but unless you’re a true fan of those other sports/teams no amount of success can replace the sinking feeling you get when your true team fails. Even if you say it does.

818008[/snapback]

uuuhhh thats "Sabres" sir.

Would the majority of Buffalo fans micromanage the Sabres if they weren't performing? The answer, unless your a true Sabres fan is no.  Being from Michigan I support Michigan teams (Outside of the Bills). When Michigan teams do well all of a sudden EVERYBODY is a diehard fan. That's what I see happening in Buffalo. Obviously the Sabers have real die hards, but unless you’re a true fan of those other sports/teams no amount of success can replace the sinking feeling you get when your true team fails. Even if you say it does.

818008[/snapback]

I don't know about that. On the radio stations they've had people calling for Lindy Ruff's and especially Darcy Regier's head for about 8 years. People finally seem to think they are doing a good job, but it took an awful lot for most to cut them a break.

There have been people saying they should bench Hasek. There have been people coming with a very comprehensive list of Sabres that should have been put on a short rail. Pretty much in the last 10 years, every guy to wear a Sabres uniform that wasn't named LaFontaine.

Most of the true Sabres fans realized that Lindy was doing a very good job, but I will admit there have been many debates as to whether Regier was good, bad, or indifferent.

So, I'd have to say I disagree with your premise.

As to the original question that started this thread, the Sabres playing great is great. But that doesn't change the fact that the last few weeks there's been a real sick feeling in my stomach on Sunday around 3:45.