With OL changes

The Tomcat

With Peters moving to the left side and Gandy moving inside and the rook moving to the right side does this help McGahee?

My question is, and I don't know the answer, was Willis a better runner to the left or right in college? It would seem our left side has the potential for monster run plays. Does this move mean as much to Willy as it does to JP?

I think Gandy's too soft for the interior... I'd rather see Merz there.

816635[/snapback]

No as during his past 2 years at LT Gandy has had some good run blocking at times when they have ran off tackle or on the edge. The fact is they rarely do as they prefer to consistenly smash it inside for minimal gain!

No as during his past 2 years at LT Gandy has had some good run blocking at times when they have ran off tackle or on the edge. The fact is they rarely do as they prefer to consistenly smash it inside for minimal gain!

816643[/snapback]

Which baffles me. I know you want to run inside, but it seems to me Willis is far more successful running to the outside. Why don't they mix it up more, perhaps even favoring outside runs? For that matter screens seem like a good idea to slow a pass rush down too, why not more of those? Or play action? Man the play calling sucks.

Which baffles me.  I know you want to run inside, but it seems to me Willis is far more successful running to the outside.    Why don't they mix it up more, perhaps even favoring outside runs?  For that matter screens seem like a good idea to slow a pass rush down too, why not more of those? Or play action?  Man the play calling sucks.

816656[/snapback]

Doesn't make sense but truthfully Fairchild doesn't make sense!

by far to the left

Left 7  47 262 0.0 5.6 1

Wide Left 6  5 23 0.0 4.6 0

Wide Right 7  17 54 0.0 3.2 0

Right 7  43 104 0.0 2.4 0

816946[/snapback]

So I guess Gandy and Reyes aren't as bad as some make them out to be as I remember most of WM best runs have been to the left with a lot of key blocks made by Gandy. He may be a sos-so pass blocker but I think he can get it done via the run.

Which baffles me.  I know you want to run inside, but it seems to me Willis is far more successful running to the outside.    Why don't they mix it up more, perhaps even favoring outside runs?  For that matter screens seem like a good idea to slow a pass rush down too, why not more of those? Or play action?  Man the play calling sucks.

816656[/snapback]

This is something I've been wondering lately.....if WM is far better at running to the outside, does that imply he actually does have good speed?

This is something I've been wondering lately.....if WM is far better at running to the outside, does that imply he actually does have good speed?

817533[/snapback]

Willis has more than enough speed for the type of back that he is.....a large, slashing tailback. He doesn't have Dickerson speed, but who at this size does?

If I had to pick a past running back to liken him to, it would be Franco Harris. A pre-drug Chuck Muncie comes to mind as well, but Muncie was stronger.

He will never have the pure speed of a pure halfback, and while it would certainly come in handy, he just doesn't need it at that size.

To answer your question, speed is not a problem with Willis imo.

I'd agree that speed isn't a problem with Willis as long as we admit he lost that second gear he had in Miami and don't expect the break-away runs from him. I was kind of disappointed to see a gimpy cornerback with a sore hammy catch up to him fairly easily on what could have been a game changing play if he makes the end zone.

RTB