OT: Stern moving to Sirius Satellite EXCLUSIVELY

John Adams

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nope. You just take the receiver with you from your car to your home. You have a setup in the car (be it installed or plugged into your lighter). You have a boom box at home. Both have a slot for the one receiver.

60051[/snapback]

Thanks. Interesting chart on the stock here....

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=SIRI&t=5d

Notice how the opening price each day is a little higher from the closing the day before, all week leading up to the announcement (and the big pop on Friday).

That's what happens when lawyers and accountants who are working on the deal, the filings and the press release start calling friends and family in the days leading up to an annoucement. Happens all the time. Of course, Martha gets five months for it!

What's the status of the technology regarding satellite radio, will there be walkman size receivers in the next year or so?  From what I've seen you have to use a boombox size receiver when it's not in the car.

59100[/snapback]

It's not the size but the application.

They can make a small device now, but how do they ensure that you wear it on top of your head all the time to catch the sat signal? And that you have to be outside all the time (unless you live near a repeater). Not really a good fit for a truly personal mobile application.

They can make a small device now, but how do they ensure that you wear it on top of your head all the time to catch the sat signal? And that you have to be outside all the time (unless you live near a repeater). Not really a good fit for a truly personal mobile application.

It's just a matter of time before someone figures out how to do it, I was just wondering if it was close. Perhaps something like linking the satellite signals to cell phone towers.

The XACT unit (SIRIUS Introduces Next Generation Satellite Radio Receiver ) is currently what most people think can be a walkman style unit for Sirius. There are plans to develop a battery add-on for the tuner, that when it comes to market, would make it the first of it's kind for either Satellite Radio company.

XACT at Best Buy

61476[/snapback]

Damn Jack, you're like Mr Wendy, Wendy's 'unofficial' spokesman. Maybe we should start calling you Mr Sirius?

;)

It's just a matter of time before someone figures out how to do it, I was just wondering if it was close.  Perhaps something like linking the satellite signals to cell phone towers.

61387[/snapback]

It's not a tech issue, but an FCC issue. XM & SIRI got their clearance for satellite transmission only. If they put repeaters on cell towers, they would violate the provisions of their licenses, which do not allow them to be "local" broadcasters and compete with radio stations. They have some leeway to install repeaters in tunnels & urban areas where buildings, trees & squirrels block the satellite signal, but it was a hard fought battle to get that.

Who's Wendy the Retard?

61534[/snapback]

haha... howard said he is going to have to buy her a Sirius, because he can't imagine having to explain satelite radio to her...

The new sound bites of High Pitch crack me up EVERY time i hear them... especially "Who's high pitch" from when he made a prank phone call..

Hey Erik..this is KC...you wanna lollipop? When he calls eric the midget and  pretends to be KC

61561[/snapback]

oh man... I love how eric the midget can't take a joke... he has to realize he is the PERFECT victim...

Now that he is going to sattellite, hopefully his TV show will go to HBO or something similar...