Dumbest week in Bills history

generaLee83

So, Willis brakes a huge gain on a shovel pass, his breakaway speed left something to be desired (like breakaway speed) but it was a huge gain and had the Pats on their heels, probably a bit winded and a bit off their mental game.

Now I would think that in this situation with the defense winded and mentally stunned it would be a good idea to go at them hard and score the damned TD with some ferocity and quickness.

So what do the Bills do? (not sure who called it)

They call a god damned time out (sorry for the swear words but I'm mad).

They let the Pats regroup physically and mentally and allow them to prepare for whatever is coming next.

Then, I see JP Losman lined up as a WR and Josh Reed in at QB. The play fails horribly of course as everyone in the stands knew that it would and the Bills then eventually settle for a field goal.

So, let's recap. A big gain by WM, a timeout to lets the patsie's rest and then possible the worst trick play I've ever seen. The Pats didn't buy it for a second as everyone knew that it was probably a run.

What has this team come to? I know that somehow Mike Mularkey called that stupid play.

This team can barely execute normal plays, let alone trick plays. Also it seems that it's good to use a trick play when your normal offensive philosophy is actually working and the 'd' is expecting you to keep running normal plays but not in Buffalo.

This was the dumbest week I've ever seen in football

if that was the dumbest, then the craziest week was when donahoe was fired, levy was definitely not hired, then levy was hired, then mularkey was given a vote of confidence, then he resigned, then jauron was hired. i saw WAY too much of ralph's ears on espnnews!

if that was the dumbest, then the craziest week was when donahoe was fired, levy was definitely not hired, then levy was hired, then mularkey was given a vote of confidence, then he resigned, then jauron was hired.  i saw WAY too much of ralph's ears on espnnews!

815195[/snapback]

The week that we blew a 21-point lead against Miami, followed by the Moulds soap opera and "Jerkgate" was also a pretty dumb week.

We've had a lot of dumb weeks lately.

Edit -----

Oh yeah, that was also the week Parrish threw a pass with a cast on his wrist. Dumb week.

Then, I see JP Losman lined up as a WR and Josh Reed in at QB.  The play fails horribly of course as everyone in the stands knew that it would and the Bills then eventually settle for a field goal.

So, let's recap.  A big gain by WM, a timeout to lets the patsie's rest and then possible the worst trick play I've ever seen.  The Pats didn't buy it for a second as everyone knew that it was probably a run.

815184[/snapback]

with respect to the josh reed trick play, whats the difference between that gain of 2 yards and a willis run for 2 yards? Sure it didnt work as well as planned, but it is a low risk trick play. a 2 yd run is a 2 yd run.

I'm not really sure why more teams don't run direct snaps (to change the subject) because they're really very low-risk plays. Now, splitting out the QB is unnecessary trickery, but if you run a lot of shotgun anyway, why not snap it to the RB to change up the timing?

with respect to the josh reed trick play, whats the difference between that gain of 2 yards and a willis run for 2 yards? Sure it didnt work as well as planned, but it is a low risk trick play. a 2 yd run is a 2 yd run.

815653[/snapback]

I don't agree that it's a low risk play, but even if it is a low risk play, it's also a very low reward play. If Reed is better at taking the ball up the middle, the lets bench McGahee and get him in the backfield. Reed is not accustomed to running in the middle of the line - if he bounces it outside it leaves Losman open to be absolutely flattened.

In addition, it frustrated me to think that this team spends any practise time on a play like that. I would rather the team spent the time working on improving their execution of ordinary plays. It's even more frustrating because you have to know that the play was designed to set up ANOTHER play later in the game or season that the team has also been practising :blink:

815653[/snapback]

They should have thrown the ball into the end zone and actually tried to score a TD.

That happens all the time with teams after a long gain. It takes a while for everyone to get down field, huddled, and the play called on those big gainers--which is why they had to call timeout.

815636[/snapback]

Where is RUSTY JONES ?

Week 17. The playoffs are on the line. Our thirst for playoffs since the music city miracle was about to be fulfilled. We were playing at HOME with a 9-6 record against a Steelers team with 3rd stringers and our defense was claiming itself to be the #1 ranked defense.....and what do we do ? Hatch a big fat egg.........down goes the playoffs down the drain.....some 5" 7" guy named Parker runs through the #1 defense.....veteran QB Bledsoe throws an INT at the 7 yard line that is returned for a TD by a backup ST player....Man that was one of the worst weeks to endure following that loss 2 years ago.

Would that be the QB who got benched on national TV last night?

815759[/snapback]

yes it would. And we won 9 games that year. Since then, we've won 7 out of 23. Say what you want about JBledsoe, the team was on a roll and almost made the playoffs. Definitely someting to build on. I had high hopes. But management decided it was time to rebuild AGAIN !!

yes it would.  And we won 9 games that year.  Since then, we've won 7 out of 23.  Say what you want about JBledsoe, the team was on a roll and almost made the playoffs.  Definitely someting to build on.  I had high hopes.  But management decided it was time to rebuild  AGAIN !!

815782[/snapback]

I think that team was way overrated....They caught a break when McGahee ran pretty hard.....and the defense came up with turnovers....albeit against the

weak NFC West, especially, when they built that rally at the end....Only to have

their bubble burst by a true team in the Steelers....

That team had no OL and still does not have one today.

yes it would.  And we won 9 games that year.  Since then, we've won 7 out of 23.  Say what you want about JBledsoe, the team was on a roll and almost made the playoffs.  Definitely someting to build on.  I had high hopes.  But management decided it was time to rebuild  AGAIN !!

815782[/snapback]

Yeah...I agree with the poster above. That team had the benefit of a ridiculously easy second half schedule along with a few other things falling into place. Bottom line - they didn't make the playoffs. If Bledsoe was as great as you believe him to be, he would've shown up for that Pittsburgh game.

I think that team was way overrated....They caught a break when McGahee ran pretty hard.....and the defense came up with turnovers....albeit against the

weak NFC West, especially, when they built that rally at the end....Only to have

their bubble burst by a true team in the Steelers....

That team had no OL  and still does not have one today.

815788[/snapback]

hahaha .. you act like McGahee chooses when he wants to run hard :blink:

That Bills team (yes with Bledsoe) would beat THIS Bills team 41-7

That happens all the time with teams after a long gain. It takes a while for everyone to get down field, huddled, and the play called on those big gainers--which is why they had to call timeout.

815636[/snapback]

Especially when you're only used to moving three yards at a time...those sixty yard jogs can be murder...

hahaha .. you act like McGahee chooses when he wants to run hard  :blink:

That Bills team (yes with Bledsoe) would beat THIS Bills team 41-7

815795[/snapback]

Can you explain where I said that McGahee chose to run when he wants?

McGahee had some excellent games during that stretch....The big difference I now think was that line even though it sucked at least had Jennings protecting the left side......

As for records goes....those bills teams under Bledsoe had 0 playoff games to their credit, same as the current regime.....That team couldn't beat the 3rd

stringers from a real team with so much at stake.....