Discouraged Wilson says Bills owe fans better effo

fbzh2

Yeah, we expect more. Throw the blame at the feet of Donahoe.

Levy/Jauron had one offseason to fix it, and 7 games in, lets fire both of em...

C'mon, we don't have the talent to play at a consistently high level right now. We have about 10 bona fide NFL starters. Thats it. Give Marv/Jauron another year to assemble talent. I hope JP makes progress in the 2nd half. Alos, let these players learn how to play.

Remember our record in Kelly's first year, a team that also included Reed, Bruce, Tasker, Metzelaars, Wolford, Hull & Talley, among other...4-12.

I'm just as frustrated as the next fan, but we have to remind ourselves, it is a new era with Marv/Jauron. It will take time to remove the TD stain from the franchise.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not particularly thrilled with his work so far but I'm willing to hold my tongue for another offseason. If he continues the way he's been though I hope the Bills send him on his way.

814514[/snapback]

True, I might have jumped the gun. We should at least wait until he is 90 years old to see if he can do the job. :doh:

Most of you have no doubt read this on TwoBillsDrive.com….but I am surprised that no one has commented on what RW, jr has said…..The last time he came out publicly to complain about the teams play was when they turned it around in Meathead’s first year….can we be so lucky this time, with this team?  :doh:  :lol:

Discouraged Wilson says Bills owe fans better effort

Post Comment

(October 23, 2006) — ORCHARD PARK — Ralph Wilson stood in the entranceway to the Buffalo Bills locker room in the stadium named after the venerable team founder.

The look on his face after Sunday's 28-6 loss to the New England Patriots, a defeat that was like rewinding the tape on nearly every game played between these two teams in the new millennium, said instantly that Wilson was experiencing equal parts frustration, disappointment and anger.

"I'm just very discouraged," said Wilson, whose team lost its third consecutive game to fall to 2-5 heading into its bye week. "When we were 2-2, I felt we were on the way up a bit. The Bears game out there, we were overpowered, and since then ...."

Wilson collected his thoughts and continued.

"The Detroit game, I was extremely disappointed, and today, too. We do a lot of dumb things. Not that we have the greatest talent, but we have better talent than the dumb things we do."

Dumb things like nine penalties, including a roughing-the-passer call on Chris Kelsay when Tom Brady had slid to the ground and was sitting down. Dumb things like three turnovers by quarterback J.P. Losman, including a fumble caused by running into an official. Dumb things like Jabari Greer biting on a pump fake that resulted in a 31-yard gain during yet another Brady-led touchdown drive.

All of these silly, undisciplined actions were discouraging to Wilson, and what really angered him was the general lackluster effort put forth by his team, inexcusable in his eyes, considering the circumstances.

After road losses to unbeaten Chicago and then-winless Detroit, the Bills were returning home to face their fiercest rival in front of the 26th sellout crowd in the last 27 games in Orchard Park.

Furthermore, the greater Buffalo region is still getting back on its feet after a freak Friday the 13th snowstorm devastated the area.

Despite this cocktail of emotion, the Bills responded with their 12th loss in the last 13 games to New England.

It was a loss as hideous as any since Bill Belichick began coaching the Patriots and Brady became their starting quarterback. A loss that gave the Patriots a third consecutive season series sweep. A seventh consecutive Bills loss in the season rematch, including the last five by a combined score of 150-36.

As usual, the score sheet said Sunday's game was close, but the Patriots aren't about stats, they are about winning. They suffocate teams with their patience and poise. These are qualities that have not been attached to the Bills — who committed 16 penalties to New England's four in this year's two games — for a very, very long time.

Wilson said he was ready for a rebuilding year, but not to be embarrassed. Not many owners would have the courage to say it, but he did.

His players let him down.

They let their city down.

"Yeah (I knew we'd be rebuilding), but it's still hard to take the money from the fans to see this kind of exhibition, and the players really ought to realize that, too," he said. "These fans work hard and go through all of these natural disasters, and dig down and spend their last few dollars and come out and see us play. The players should realize that. They should play hard and not do dumb things."

This hasn't been a good fall for Wilson, dealing with a bad back and now another bad football team.

Weary from watching his team not make the playoffs in six consecutive seasons, he instituted the biggest organizational reshuffle in Bills history last off-season, beginning with the firing of president and general manager Tom Donahoe.

In five seasons under Donahoe, the Bills were 31-49 and the club took a huge backward step last season by finishing 5-11. In came Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy as general manager and Dick Jauron as coach.

Back in the day, Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly would want to fight you after a loss.

But there are still too many players in this locker room spilling out tired cliches and excuses.

Clearly, there is a culture of losing here that won't be changed in seven games under the new regime.

Wilson, who turned 88 last week, can't help but look back as he looks forward. He apologized once to fans for handing unprecedented power to Donahoe, who did a good job of making him feel like a stranger, and now realizes the job he handed Levy and Jauron is bigger than he thought.

"What really upsets me the most: Before Marv and Dick came in, we regressed so badly," Wilson said. "We let players go. We let Pat Williams go. We let Ruben Brown go. There seemed to be too many personalities involved. People say, 'Hey, forget it, Ralph. Look forward. Be optimistic.' But I can't help but look back and say that at my age, I threw five years away."

It's a disheartening truth. Give Wilson credit for saying it. And even though he acknowledged that the Bills still don't have playoff-caliber talent, they ought to play with their heads and their hearts in the right place.

That's the least that the owner and the fans deserve.

814315[/snapback]

God Bless him...with age comes wisdom and appreciation.....I really believe that he wants better for himself and the fans.

Most of you have no doubt read this on TwoBillsDrive.com….but I am surprised that no one has commented on what RW, jr has said…..The last time he came out publicly to complain about the teams play was when they turned it around in Meathead’s first year….can we be so lucky this time, with this team?  :doh:  :lol:

Discouraged Wilson says Bills owe fans better effort

Post Comment

(October 23, 2006) — ORCHARD PARK — Ralph Wilson stood in the entranceway to the Buffalo Bills locker room in the stadium named after the venerable team founder.

The look on his face after Sunday's 28-6 loss to the New England Patriots, a defeat that was like rewinding the tape on nearly every game played between these two teams in the new millennium, said instantly that Wilson was experiencing equal parts frustration, disappointment and anger.

"I'm just very discouraged," said Wilson, whose team lost its third consecutive game to fall to 2-5 heading into its bye week. "When we were 2-2, I felt we were on the way up a bit. The Bears game out there, we were overpowered, and since then ...."

Wilson collected his thoughts and continued.

"The Detroit game, I was extremely disappointed, and today, too. We do a lot of dumb things. Not that we have the greatest talent, but we have better talent than the dumb things we do."

Dumb things like nine penalties, including a roughing-the-passer call on Chris Kelsay when Tom Brady had slid to the ground and was sitting down. Dumb things like three turnovers by quarterback J.P. Losman, including a fumble caused by running into an official. Dumb things like Jabari Greer biting on a pump fake that resulted in a 31-yard gain during yet another Brady-led touchdown drive.

All of these silly, undisciplined actions were discouraging to Wilson, and what really angered him was the general lackluster effort put forth by his team, inexcusable in his eyes, considering the circumstances.

After road losses to unbeaten Chicago and then-winless Detroit, the Bills were returning home to face their fiercest rival in front of the 26th sellout crowd in the last 27 games in Orchard Park.

Furthermore, the greater Buffalo region is still getting back on its feet after a freak Friday the 13th snowstorm devastated the area.

Despite this cocktail of emotion, the Bills responded with their 12th loss in the last 13 games to New England.

It was a loss as hideous as any since Bill Belichick began coaching the Patriots and Brady became their starting quarterback. A loss that gave the Patriots a third consecutive season series sweep. A seventh consecutive Bills loss in the season rematch, including the last five by a combined score of 150-36.

As usual, the score sheet said Sunday's game was close, but the Patriots aren't about stats, they are about winning. They suffocate teams with their patience and poise. These are qualities that have not been attached to the Bills — who committed 16 penalties to New England's four in this year's two games — for a very, very long time.

Wilson said he was ready for a rebuilding year, but not to be embarrassed. Not many owners would have the courage to say it, but he did.

His players let him down.

They let their city down.

"Yeah (I knew we'd be rebuilding), but it's still hard to take the money from the fans to see this kind of exhibition, and the players really ought to realize that, too," he said. "These fans work hard and go through all of these natural disasters, and dig down and spend their last few dollars and come out and see us play. The players should realize that. They should play hard and not do dumb things."

This hasn't been a good fall for Wilson, dealing with a bad back and now another bad football team.

Weary from watching his team not make the playoffs in six consecutive seasons, he instituted the biggest organizational reshuffle in Bills history last off-season, beginning with the firing of president and general manager Tom Donahoe.

In five seasons under Donahoe, the Bills were 31-49 and the club took a huge backward step last season by finishing 5-11. In came Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy as general manager and Dick Jauron as coach.

Back in the day, Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly would want to fight you after a loss.

But there are still too many players in this locker room spilling out tired cliches and excuses.

Clearly, there is a culture of losing here that won't be changed in seven games under the new regime.

Wilson, who turned 88 last week, can't help but look back as he looks forward. He apologized once to fans for handing unprecedented power to Donahoe, who did a good job of making him feel like a stranger, and now realizes the job he handed Levy and Jauron is bigger than he thought.

"What really upsets me the most: Before Marv and Dick came in, we regressed so badly," Wilson said. "We let players go. We let Pat Williams go. We let Ruben Brown go. There seemed to be too many personalities involved. People say, 'Hey, forget it, Ralph. Look forward. Be optimistic.' But I can't help but look back and say that at my age, I threw five years away."

It's a disheartening truth. Give Wilson credit for saying it. And even though he acknowledged that the Bills still don't have playoff-caliber talent, they ought to play with their heads and their hearts in the right place.

That's the least that the owner and the fans deserve.

814315[/snapback]

WOW--its great to hear such heartfelt honesty--it is very refreshing.Thanks for the post.

In his defense, at least he is apologizing to the fans and accepting responsibility for letting the team get this way. For once, I would like to see the players have some accountability. Wouldn't it be refreshing to hear one of the players do this at the post game press conference.

"I am sorry for letting you trade a 1st and a second round draft pick for me. If I hadn't cheated on my Wonderlic you probably wouldn't have done that." JP Losman

"I am real sorry for getting run down from behind by a corner that has been nursing a bad hamstring, but next year is my contract year, not this year." Willis McGahee

"Yes, of course we played yesterday" London Fletcher and Angelo Crowell

"I know that we are not very good, but that moron taking the snaps doesn't make us much better" Jason Peters

"Sorry guys, I am just the punter" Brian Moorman

"Yeah, I told Marv that I was talking to a couple of other teams, but that wasn't true. I still can't believe the signing bonus they gave me." Peerless Price

814375[/snapback]

haha good stuff.

Yeah, we expect more.  Throw the blame at the feet of Donahoe. 

Levy/Jauron had one offseason to fix it, and 7 games in, lets fire both of em...

C'mon, we don't have the talent to play at a consistently high level right now.  We have about 10 bona fide NFL starters.  Thats it.  Give Marv/Jauron another year to assemble talent.  I hope JP makes progress in the 2nd half.  Alos, let these players learn how to play. 

Remember our record in Kelly's first year, a team that also included Reed, Bruce, Tasker, Metzelaars, Wolford, Hull & Talley, among other...4-12.

I'm just as frustrated as the next fan, but we have to remind ourselves, it is a new era with Marv/Jauron.  It will take time to remove the TD stain from the franchise.

814516[/snapback]

We dont have near the talent or near the QB that we had that 4-12 year---BUT--we of course need to give Marv time.

He also plays a major role in keeping the team in Buffalo and not LA

What more can he do? Everyones answer seems to be to spend more money on a coach, but on who? Good coaches aren't usually looking for a job in the offseason and I'm sure this time they were not going to go with the "flavour of the month" "hot" co-ordinator first time head coach

I guess we could have an owner like Snyder and be as successful as the Redskins. Oh wait a minute, we already are except we pay less for the coaching staff and players

$$$$$$ doesn't always mean success, Atleast Ralph isn't just sitting back and saying nothing, the guy is mad at his team and is letting them know he doesn't accept the lackluster attitude and effort.

814380[/snapback]

Im not just talking about money. The guy is at the top of this organization. How can he not be held accountable? Let me ask you this, is it good enough for you to just "have a team here," even know they've sucked? Don't get me wrong i want them here more than anyone, but they are digging their own grave in being bad.

Im not just talking about money. The guy is at the top of this organization. How can he not be held accountable? Let me ask you this, is it good enough for you to just "have a team here," even know they've sucked? Don't get me wrong i want them here more than anyone, but they are digging their own grave in being bad.

814617[/snapback]

I like Marv....but I dont want to hear this right now....

Show me some dedication by overpaying for a couple of helpful free agents....will ya?

In his defense, at least he is apologizing to the fans and accepting responsibility for letting the team get this way. For once, I would like to see the players have some accountability. Wouldn't it be refreshing to hear one of the players do this at the post game press conference.

"I am sorry for letting you trade a 1st and a second round draft pick for me. If I hadn't cheated on my Wonderlic you probably wouldn't have done that." JP Losman

"I am real sorry for getting run down from behind by a corner that has been nursing a bad hamstring, but next year is my contract year, not this year." Willis McGahee

"Yes, of course we played yesterday" London Fletcher and Angelo Crowell

"I know that we are not very good, but that moron taking the snaps doesn't make us much better" Jason Peters

"Sorry guys, I am just the punter" Brian Moorman

"Yeah, I told Marv that I was talking to a couple of other teams, but that wasn't true. I still can't believe the signing bonus they gave me." Peerless Price

814375[/snapback]

<_<

Considering I was not expecting this team to do anything this year, I do not mind we are 10mil under the cap (if that is even factual). Rebuilding in the current NFL can be a year to year possibility. This is a 16 week preseason, with Jaroun and Levy evaluating what we have, with the scouts, scouting free agents to where our needs will be. At the end of the year, there are going to be alot of ex-Bills, including JP if the kid can't stop regressing and show week by week progress. It will be a shame if we have to get a QB rather then spend significant money on the trenches, but I expect 180 degree improvment next year. Its nice the Mr. Wilson gives us lip service, but I expect results.

Considering I was not expecting this team to do anything this year, I do not mind we are 10mil under the cap (if that is even factual).  Rebuilding in the current NFL can be a year to year possibility.  This is a 16 week preseason, with Jaroun and Levy evaluating what we have, with the scouts, scouting free agents to where our needs will be.  At the end of the year, there are going to be alot of ex-Bills, including JP if the kid can't stop regressing and show week by week progress.  It will be a shame if we have to get a QB rather then spend significant money on the trenches, but I expect 180 degree improvment next year.  Its nice the Mr. Wilson gives us lip service, but I expect results.

814972[/snapback]

I agree. I'm not like most, I don't think JP is the answer at all. I haven't seen anything from this kid since he's played in the NFL. Though he played in a passing offense at Tulane it was against mediorce division 1 talent. I'm still upset that the Bills passed up on Leinert or didn't look at Brees. They have to solidify that position before they go anywhere. The signs are on the wall when you cannot be competitive at Home. The loss this weekend was egregious! I'm starting to feel like I'm watching Rob Johnson all over again.

No matter what, when all is said and done the owner has responsibility for the final product. If you don’t like it, do what’s necessary to fix it. Everybody works for you!

RW, Jr likes to use old clichés…..how about this one, Ralphy boy, from your old pal Harry S. Truman… ”The Buck Stops Here!”