is is just the OL or the WRs too?

Reed83HOF

Obviously this is a new offense and we had significant player turnover from last year...so I don't expect this team to be firing on all cylinders...

When watching game highlights, ESPN/NFL shows or even other games this season, other teams WRs seem to find a huge hole in the coverage or misdirect the DBs on false routes and end up wide open; I dont think we have had that once this season...

I know the OL is far from being great...and Gandy isn't adequate in the high school level as a tackle, but shouldn't the WRs find away to get open or are we the only team that has played against all of the elite DBs in this league so far? How many times have we heard, thats a coverage sack? :)

Not only do we need 1-2 OL/ run stopping DL linemen; I think we need a competent WR coach to teach receiver's how to get open...is C. Joiner in SD? :doh:

I know the camera angles and coverage of our team is limited, so there isn't a lot of info out there...

Obviously this is a new offense and we had significant player turnover from last year...so I don't expect this team to be firing on all cylinders...

When watching game highlights, ESPN/NFL shows or even other games this season, other teams WRs seem to find a huge hole in the coverage or misdirect the DBs on false routes and end up wide open; I dont think we have had that once this season...

I know the OL is far from being great...and Gandy isn't adequate in the high school level as a tackle, but shouldn't the WRs find away to get open or are we the only team that has played against all of the elite DBs in this league so far? How many times have we heard, thats a coverage sack? :)

Not only do we need 1-2 OL/ run stopping DL linemen; I think we need a competent WR coach to teach receiver's how to get open...is C. Joiner in SD? :doh:

I know the camera angles and coverage of our team is limited, so there isn't a lot of info out there...

808986[/snapback]

Dunno. I find myself being far more critical of the Bills in the rare times I see them, and also of my 16-year hometown B'gals. I watch other clubs, and say to myself, why can't those two clubs' WRs get open like the others?

Emotion clouds things... :devil:

Dunno. I find myself being far more critical of the Bills in the rare times I see them, and also of my 16-year hometown B'gals. I watch other clubs, and say to myself, why can't those two clubs' WRs get open like the others?

Emotion clouds things... :doh:

808999[/snapback]

In addition to being a huge Bills fan, I am also a huge Panthers fan. I would have to agree with the exception of Steve Smith. That guy is wide open at least 4 or 5 times a game, it is unreal.

My question is where are the routes that attack the middle of the field that allow the WR's to run more after the catch? And since the TE's and backs aren't a factor in the passing game it seems easy for the D to take our WR's out of the game. It doesn't seem like we gameplan and attack the whole field and force the D to matchup to us and dictate. It's like we just call plays here or there and hope they work!

808986[/snapback]

I've absolutely noticed this as well. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with keeping the offence as simple as possible? Or possibly because the plays we call are quick developing plays which don't allow for as many double moves or complicated routes?

What I do know is JP has been sacked a number of times where it was not the O-line at all, it just looked like he couldn't find anyone open (and the replays supported this).

My question is where are the routes that attack the middle of the field that allow the WR's to run more after the catch? And since the TE's and backs aren't a factor in the passing game it seems easy for the D to take our WR's out of the game. It doesn't seem like we gameplan and attack the whole field and force the D to matchup to us and dictate. It's like we just call plays here or there and hope they work!

809007[/snapback]

No disrespect, but watch the games man. We keep RBs and TEs in to block and Losman (who is very agile) is still getting killed, this on plays where there is no blitz.

Our football team is getting out muscled out front. Don't you see this? Until we win battles up front, options are limited.

The same applies to the defense, although there are a few more of individual bright spots.

In addition to being a huge Bills fan, I am also a huge Panthers fan. I would have to agree with the exception of Steve Smith. That guy is wide open at least 4 or 5 times a game, it is unreal.

809004[/snapback]

Yep...there a number of same. Like Smith, they are quick thinkers that have that special sense of what's going on. I guess the term is "a nose for the ball".

The 3 point edge the bookies are giving the B'gals in Sunday's home game against CAR is just pulling in sucker money. They are absolultely decimated by starter and bench injuries, and two idiots getting themselves suspended. Palmer's not 100% - he can't plant the left leg and is arming passes into the dirt with open receivers and throwing banana long balls.

Edited by stuckincincy

I've absolutely noticed this as well.  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with keeping the offence as simple as possible?  Or possibly because the plays we call are quick developing plays which don't allow for as many double moves or complicated routes?

What I do know is JP has been sacked a number of times where it was not the O-line at all, it just looked like he couldn't find anyone open (and the replays supported this).

809013[/snapback]

I don't know if it is from simplified offense or not...i was watching NFL matchup or whatever its called with Hoge and Jaws on Sunday and they were showing other WRs (who are not as good as Evans or Price) faking to the outside, getting the corner to bite and the saftey to cover another WR, and then he brakes it inside...a simple 15yd post that went for a TD; they were showing quite a few examples with WRs from other teams...and I was like WTF??? and then the Phi and NO game with a WR wide open (then like 3 saints ran into each other)

Don't get me wrong..I like Evans, Price, Parrish, Reed (this year so far) and they are good WRs, but they need to get open..How often does JP dump it off to Shelton or Willis (who got creamed by a lion defender on 1 play)?

No disrespect, but watch the games man. We keep RBs and TEs in to block and Losman (who is very agile) is still getting killed, this on plays where there is no blitz.

Our football team is getting out muscled out front. Don't you see this? Until we win battles up front, options are limited.

The same applies to the defense, although there are a few more of individual bright spots.

809014[/snapback]

It's easy to see us out muscled upfront...watch any of the X and

1-2 yd plays...there is no push, we snap and loose a yard....Willis has been blocking better since the Jets game...he gets his block then dumps into the flat or right in the middle between the DL and LBs...there are a ton of max-protect sets the TEs and RBs block first then dump off into their routes which have to be 10yds are less but at this time poor JP has already been planted...look at how many times he has been sacked when only 4 DL rush...

809007[/snapback]

The Bills need to rethink their offensive gameplan this week. It's clear to everyone, including opposing NFL defensive coordinators, that the Bills either throw outside to their wideouts on the passing downs and run Willis up the middle on the running downs about 90% of the time.

What they need to do starting this week against the Patriots is to do the opposite of what they've been doing. At least for the first quarter and a half of the game.

This means rolling out JP like he did on the TD play against the Lions. Throw quick shuttle and screen passes to Willis. Call bootleg running and draw plays for JP. When it's a running down, throw it, when it's a passing down run it. Go no huddle, throw in a flea flicker, have Reed throw a pass on a reverse play. Use Peters as a fullback in the redzone or as tackle eligible. Put a receivers in motion every play. Do something completely different than what the Pats will expect.

Predictability, along with lack of up front talent, is helping to get our offense killed. As much as we all hated the Malarkey approach, I'm afraid it's time to embrace the "use everything including kitchen sink" gameplan against the Pats. Throwing the game into chaos could actually be the tonic to rejuvenate the players and fans. If this appraoch works in the first half, then the other more predictable plays will be there in the second half.

Is it that our WR's aren't open or is it that the Qb isn't seeing and hence not throwing to the wide open receiver.

Like whom? Give examples, please, primarily on sacks.

I've seen more than a few people talk about the crappiness of the O-line or the failures of the WR's to get open/quickly. And while I'm sure JP's missed a few open WR's, it's not happening nearly as much as the other 2 things.

The Cardinals WR's had no trouble getting open against Chicago. So yes we may have a talent level problem at WR.

Boldin was amazing. He was a one-man wrecking crew and they still couldn't stop him despite double-teaming.

Reminded me of Moulds in his prime. Even though I love Evans, I still wish they had someone like Moulds.

Like whom?  Give examples, please, primarily on sacks. 

I've seen more than a few people talk about the crappiness of the O-line or the failures of the WR's to get open/quickly.  And while I'm sure JP's missed a few open WR's, it's not happening nearly as much as the other 2 things.

809470[/snapback]

I didn't say it was happening. I said it is a posibility. Stop getting hostile.

And besides very difficult to see the whole field on TV. However it is a very real posibility, as the way coverages work, there usually is at least one reaceiver wide open on almost every play.

Reminded me of Moulds in his prime.  Even though I love Evans, I still wish they had someone like Moulds.

809540[/snapback]

Care to add "Moulds in his prime" at the end of the sentence...Moulds in his

1st two years in the league did nothing....and in his last few years with the bills

again did nothing....He caught 85 passes, but did it contribute to wins ?