why doesn't someone have more than

I was thinking about it. Is it strange that the leagues leading rusher after 4 weeks only has 389 yards? I would think that number would typically be closer to at least 450 yards at this point. I mean Willis has only ran for over 100 yards once, granted that one game was for 150 yards, which is a great game and the most by anyone in one game so far this year. I would still think someone would be over 400 yards by now.

I was thinking about it.  Is it strange that the leagues leading rusher after 4 weeks only has 389 yards?  I would think that number would typically be closer to at least 450 yards at this point.  I mean Willis has only ran for over 100 yards once, granted that one game was for 150 yards, which is a great game and the most by anyone in one game so far this year.  I would still think someone would be over 400 yards by now.

797325[/snapback]

One definite reason: LT and SD had a Bye already

Other possible reasons: Portis has been injured, Westbrook a bit injured, Ronnie Brown's O Coordinator is full of marlarky, Dueuce is sharing carries with Bush, Edge is in Ariz, Corky and Baloney are sharing, Denver was using a two-headed monster at RB the first couple of weeks and they had a Bye, Tiki had a Bye, Willie Parker had a Bye, Larry Johnson's top 2 OT's from last year retired, and the #1 other possible reason (from Mort) is that Ralph fired TD or Willis would have 498!

Only the last one is BS... :devil:

One definite reason:   LT and SD had a Bye already

Other possible reasons:  Portis has been injured, Westbrook a bit injured, Ronnie Brown's O Coordinator is full of marlarky, Dueuce is sharing carries with Bush, Edge is in Ariz, Corky and Baloney are sharing, Denver was using a two-headed monster at RB the first couple of weeks and they had a Bye, Tiki had a Bye, Willie Parker had a Bye,  Larry Johnson's top 2 OT's from last year retired, and the #1 other possible reason (from Mort) is that Ralph fired TD or Willis would have 498!

Only the last one is BS...  :devil:

797355[/snapback]

Guess Larry Johnson dosent get his "2000 yds" this year either!

McGahee's per game total becomes decidedly unimpressive when one takes into account that he has the most rushing attempts in the NFL and that his YPC average is 25th in the NFL.

797383[/snapback]

HD, you are reaching. He has these yards while lining up behind an inexperienced qb and a suspect OL.

I don't expect you to think that the Bills are great, so I rarely take you to task, but the above is not talking football; it is talking bull sh--.

McGahee's per game total becomes decidedly unimpressive when one takes into account that he has the most rushing attempts in the NFL and that his YPC average is 25th in the NFL.

797383[/snapback]

YPC the most overrated stat when it comes to rb's. Anyone who's seen the bills play this season knows mcgahee has rushed well. I guess guys like edge, Larry Johnson, LT,Thomas Jones,Jamal Lewis,Fred Taylor,Willie Parker all suddelny became bad rb's this year as they all have 4.0ypc or under LJ the highest at exactaly 4.0. The average ypc of the top 9 rb's not counting mike vick cause I didn't want to use a qb in this is 4.1ypc.

Generally looking around the league the guys with the higher ypc are the fresher rb's who split carries ala tatum bell, maroney, julius jones, warrick dunn. Not that that theres anything wrong with splitting carries. Hell I believe it's a sound strategy but judging rb's based strictly on ypc is a foolhardy stat.

HD, you are reaching. He has these yards while lining up behind an inexperienced qb and a suspect OL.

I don't expect you to think that the Bills are great, so I rarely take you to task, but the above is not talking football; it is talking bull sh--.

797387[/snapback]

That's true. McGahee is playing alongside an average line and an inexperienced quarterback, yet he leads the NFL in rushing yards. HD...your boy Brady is playing with a lousy receiving corps and as a result his completion percentage is terrible, the quarterback rating is average, yards per attempt is low, etc.

Seems to me that McGahee is doing well despite the lack of talent around him, while Brady's stats are comparable (so far this year) to Kurt Warner, Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper.

I was thinking about it.  Is it strange that the leagues leading rusher after 4 weeks only has 389 yards?  I would think that number would typically be closer to at least 450 yards at this point.  I mean Willis has only ran for over 100 yards once, granted that one game was for 150 yards, which is a great game and the most by anyone in one game so far this year.  I would still think someone would be over 400 yards by now.

797325[/snapback]

It seems that more and more teams are using a "running back by committee"

which cuts down on individual runners having big yardage totals.

YPC the most overrated stat when it comes to rb's. Anyone who's seen the bills play this season knows mcgahee has rushed well.  I guess guys like edge, Larry Johnson, LT,Thomas Jones,Jamal Lewis,Fred Taylor,Willie Parker all suddelny became bad rb's this year as they all have 4.0ypc or under LJ the highest at exactaly 4.0.  The average ypc of the top 9 rb's not counting mike vick cause I didn't want to use a qb in this is 4.1ypc.

797394[/snapback]

It's funny...or perhaps sad that had you written this last week you would have been aggressively argued with on this board. Last week around here WM was a mediocre RB who had no heart & couldn't block.....this week he is obviously a RB who has rushed well under the circumstances he finds himself.

Oh what a difference a week makes.

You're right.  Damn the refs and their favoritism towards the Falcons, Giants, Eagles, Broncos, Chargers, Cowboys, Redskins, Raiders, Panthers, and 49ers. :D

797655[/snapback]

lets see

falcons- Alex Gibbs. Everyone knows about his success as the oline coach in Denver, and implementing the zone blocking scheme there and in Atlanta. Whether you want to argue it's dirty tactics, or simply the system. Im sure that takes into account the high ypc factor. The zone blocking scheme has turned out backs like TD, Olandis Gary,Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, and looks like tatum bell will be the next recipent. Warrick Dunn has benefited highly from the zone blocking scheme. After only 2 1000 yard seasons in his first 7 years he's on pace for 3 1000 yard seasons in a row and 2 back to back 1400 yard seasons. He's a nice rb, but he's not "that good". The fact Vick and Jerious Norwood are both averaging over 8ypc really makes it stick out.

Giants- have the 2nd fewest rushing attempts in the league and 23rd in yards. The Bills are 9th. Their ypc being higher really doesn't mean much.

Eagles- I like westbrook, but he's not a better pure running then McGahee. Westbrook is a nice playmaker. He's far from a workhorse. McNabb is running more then he has the past few years. He's on pace for 64 att for 344 yards which would be his most since 2003 which conversly is what he had when the eagles last were in the top 10 in rushing. McNabb's rushing ability isn't on par with Vick, but you do have to account for it, especially considering unlike Vick McNabb can hurt you passing.

Broncos- When haven't they had success running the football? Go back to my falcons analysis. It's the system. They also have an explosive wr in javon walker and mr. reliable in rod smith. No one is gonna stack the box on them the way teams will do to buffalo until the receiving core becomes more consistent, and earns respect.

Chargers- LT is averaging 3.9 ypc. The same as Willis. LT is also on pace for the most rushing attempts in nfl history. Their ypc is boosted by Michael"The Burner" Turner averaging 7.4ypc It's nice to have a fairly good backup who can also gash defenses. Not a backup who's averaging 3.4ypc like anthony thomas

Cowboys- I'm sure you'll see a lot of 8 man fronts vs dallas :lol:

Redskins- Clinton Portis will be putting up Priest Holmes type #'s in an Al Saunders offense. He's a top 5 back so I'm not suprised. Ladell betts is a great change of pace.

Raiders- ;):wacko::lol: ok that's all :lol:

Panthers- Deshaun Foster 1st 2 games- 28 att for 80 yards 2.9ypc. Last 2 games 36 att for 187 yards 5.2 ypc. I'm sure that has nothing at all to do with Steve Smith coming back, it's because foster>>McGahee

49ers- Tale of 2 sides. first 2 games Gore faced 2 really lousy run defenses. Last 2 the #16 and #13 run defense. 3 tds the first 2 games and 4.8 ypc. The last 2 games 0 tds and 3.9 ypc. I love Frank gores potential, and at one time in college he probably could've been better then McGahee. We'll see if he gets there.

YPC is a highly overrated stat, that does not show the talent level of a rb Am I to believe Maroney is better then guys like Tomlinson, Tiki Barber, Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson or edge? Take out maroneys big game against the bengals porus run defense and maroney is at a pedestrian 3.75 ypc as opposed to 4.9. So which one is the real Maroney? Food for thought :D

This year seems to be about the pass again more so than the run for all offenses around the league. You also have typical big yardage guys that have been injured, changed teams, lost O-Line help, or they're rushing attack just seems to have fallen apart altogether. No one has even really had that big-game type of performance yet. I think everyone was expecting Larry Johnson to get 150-200 yards a game or something. Now that things are unfolding the way they are, there are quite a few surprised to hear that McGahee is leading the league in rushing. I think it's awesome, but I just wish he was leading in touchdowns as well :lol: