What if the Bills do beat the Bears??

BoondckCL

I think the Bills can probably control Chicago's offence if they don't have to stay on the field too long. My keys to a Bills win are: Strong run blocking in the interior line, and a solid short passing game from JP Losman. He will not have the luxury of being able to make interceptions or fumble the ball if Buffalo is to have a chance at winning. I don't expect him to have a lot of time to make deep throws. Therefore he's going to have to make like Chad Pennington and complete a lot of passes in a dink and dunk game.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of our opponents this season have seen Grossman as a virtual "rookie QB" and so have all tried to pressure him into making "rookie QB" mistakes.  But he's only thrown 3 INTs so far this season and only been sacked 3 times.  Our front four are pretty good at keeping the pressure off of Rex.  Last year at this same point in the season our true "rookie QB" (Kyle Orton) had thrown 6 INTs and been sacked 9 times.  We were 1-3 at that point as well...

796402[/snapback]

The Bills Def. has pressured Brad Johnson and Culpepper into making mistakes and TO's. So I see Grossman as still a rookie that can and will make mistakes.

It will cause a rip in time space continuim and ESPN will get sucked into the vortex created.

796234[/snapback]

Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

:D

The Bills Def. has pressured Brad Johnson and Culpepper into making mistakes and TO's. So I see Grossman as still a rookie that can and will make mistakes.

796890[/snapback]

I understand the thinking and it is valid, so you gotta try it. I'm just saying that you shouldn't expect good results (like the Bengals got against Orton last year).

Given Da Bears have given up a total of 13 points in 2 games at home, I think the Bills defense will have to score a TD to have a chance.

795853[/snapback]

Special Teams!

Good time for McGee and Roscoe to show that they are in fact McGee and Roscoe. We are playing a team that is better than us in a tough road game. But if we play a good football game we can win this game, which would be a tremendous boost to our team. I view this game as pretty similar to the opener in terms of possibilities. We all know that game didn't go quite as expected even though we didn't pick up the W.

I'm not rushing to Vegas to put the rent money on Buffalo, but come Sunday I'll be expecting this team to win every play for 60 minutes.

1. Run the !@#$ing ball between the tackle. About twenty to thirty times. This is the sine qua non of beating the Bears.

2. Use the blocking fullback and tight end primarily as blockers to give JP time in those situations where he is going to pass. When JP passes...short passes and screens with two exceptions...two long bombs and only two. While a big gain or score is one objective, keeping their defense honest is almost as important.

3. An occassional (not TOO occassional) qb draw and a bit more of a green light to scramble in the beginning of the game. This is different from scramble after the Bears have "taken control" of the game, where it will be seen as a sign of panic.

on defense:

1. I think the Bear line is experienced and very good at black and blue blocking against the big offensive lines. I see us doing what we did at Miami, keeping our DT's fresh and using imaginative blitzes. Their receivers are NOT all that good and we should have the ability to present a lot of different looks. Let's see how good Grossman really is.

2. The Bears running game isn't all that impressive and frankly looks kind of pedestrian this year. This is the game to pull out the stops in the pass rush and make things happen. Grossman is the key to the offense and getting on him with everything we can throw at him would be the best way to go about shutting them down.

Special teams.

We have to continue giving the Bears lousy field position and setting the Bills up with great position.

The Bears punter is hurt. Very aggressive on blocking punts (Coy Wire as MVP?).

Us? Keep the penalties down. JP has to get rid of the ball quickly on those few times that he passes and the o-line needs help from the tight ends and fullback on pass protection.

Everybody remembers the playoff game da Bears lost against Carolina 21-29 but they forget that a month or so earlier da Bears beat the Panthers 13-3 in the regular season.  What was the crucial difference?  In the playoff game our Strong Safety Mike Brown was out with an injury.  He's the vet that calls out all of the alignment changes in the Secondary.  Without him back there, Steve Smith was able to do what he wanted.

But don't worry, Mike Brown is very healthy now and will be playing this Sunday...  :D

796316[/snapback]

Don't be such a hypocrite Dennis....

In another thread you were happy to state how rediculous it was that Alexander(league MVP) was not worth the 31 points difference in your win over the Seahawks.

Now you are saying that Mike Brown (1 pro-bowl) is worth the 26 points difference in the Panthers scoring. :lol:

4. Pressure/Pressure/Pressure-  I know the bears offense has performed well, and while they will run the football their rush offense ranks 3rd in attempts 27th in yards per attempt and 17th in yards I'm not saying completly ignore the run, but if we can get the bears in passing situations and force grossman to beat us I think we can expose the bears offense, and create turnover opportunities.

All in all while the realist in me doesn't think we will win.  The Bears are not an invincible machine and can be beaten.

795842[/snapback]

Good post. I agree, If the D can bring pressure we have a good shot. Force Grossman into making mistakes.