oh Malarky, you've done it again

ricojes

B-)

A half back option pass?  I laughed my a$$ off when I saw that.  Thank God MM is not calling plays for us!!!

792574[/snapback]

I was waiting for someone to bring this up! :D;):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My guess is that Gilbride had left a few pages of his playbook around before Mularkey got here. Meathead found them and said "You know what, these aren't half bad." Then he brought them to Miami with him.

I thought Nick Saban was the guy we should have got when we got Mularkey.  Given his hiring of Mularkey (????????) and the condition the Dolphins are in, I'm not all that sure about Saban anymore.  Jauron is looking better and better as each week goes by.

792652[/snapback]

Sh..Don't say that....Saban is gods own creation, since he sprouted from the "god" belicheks tree....In fact Mangini is outcoaching saban every day.

Sh..Don't say that....Saban is gods own creation, since he sprouted from the "god" belicheks tree....In fact Mangini is outcoaching saban every day.

792661[/snapback]

Agreed...but then..isn't Mangini from the belichick tree. Come to think of it isn't Belichick from the Parcells tree? Is Parcells from the Walsh tree? I like Jauron...he's from the Levy tree.

FINS GRUMBLING ABOUT MULARKEY

With the Miami Dolphins staggering to a 1-3 start -- and losing Sunday on the road to the lowly Houston Texans -- we're told that some players on the team are beginning to grouse about the offseason decision to hire former Bills coach Mike Mularkey to be the team's offensive coordinator.

The Fins are averaging 284.5 yards per game, seventh from the bottom of the league. The only teams with lower output are the Titans, Ravens, Texans, Browns, Bucs, and Raiders, who at a paltry 177 yards per game are nearly 60 yards per game behind the No. 31 offense.

But at least the Raiders have an "excuse" -- their offensive coordinator, Tom Walsh, is trying to get reacquainted with the game of football after seven years out of the sport and more than a decade out of the NFL. Mularkey, on the other hand, was the head coach of the Bills for the past two seasons.

And although Mularkey was a respected offensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers before getting the top job in Buffalo, something isn't working in Miami. Maybe the effort to use the offense that Scott Linehan installed in 2005 with a different set of quarterbacks and a new coordinator is the problem. We're firm believers in designing an offense each year to fit the specific strengths (and hide the weaknesses) of the players who'll be executing it. A playbook, in our view, is a fluid, dynamic thing, which should be changed on the fly as necessary. The job for the coaches is to understand what the personnel can and can't do, and instead of trying to get the players to do things they can't the coaching staff should put together an attack that highlights the things they can.

Of course, this presumes that a team has acquired players who have sufficient talent to block, run, etc. at an NFL level.

In Miami's case, we don't get the feeling that the offense was designed with sufficient consideration given to how it will all come together -- including most importantly whether Mularkey knows enough about the players and the schemes to craft the right game plan each week and to call the right plays at the right time.

Publicly, however, the players are accepting the blame. Said defensive end Jason Taylor after Sunday's loss to the Texans: "I'm going to tell you like this," Taylor said. "Some people might not believe what I'm about to say. Some might not agree, some might agree. And quite frankly, I really don't care what they think. We are not a very good football team. You could take that, print it. Bold print. We're not a very good football team. Whatever people want to say is the worst team in the league, that's us. That's how we're playing."

Still, despite Taylor's focus on the players and not on the rest of the structure, it's hard not to put some blame on the people who brought the team together -- and on those who are charged with getting it ready to play.

And sooner or later the folks in Miami (ownership of the team included) are going to wonder whether the man hired to turn the thing around, Nick Saban, is really making any progress. We personally like the guy :devil: and he provides some great sound bites but this explanation of a goofy halfback quasi-reverse option pass on a potential game-tying two-point conversion sounds like something a two-bit high school coach would offer up: "It's like every other play," Saban said. "When it works, it's a good play and very innovative. When it doesn't work, it's a bad play. So it was a bad play because it didn't work."

No, it was a bad play because Ronnie Brown isn't a quarterback and because the notion of a halfback pass is far more appropriate when there's open field behind the defense into which a receiver can streak after the secondary commits to stopping the run. Giving Brown the ball and providing him with a pass option from the two generates, in our view, no real benefit. It's far better to keep the ball in the quarterback's hands and put four or five guys into the end zone, maybe holding a tight end or a running back in to block at first before sliding into an open space. The run option is there for the signal-caller, too -- and even the still-gimpy Daunte Culpepper should be able to cover the ground if the linebackers and defensive backs are focusing too much on the receivers.

Then again, maybe the fact that Saban took the ball out of Culpepper's hands at such a critical time tells us everything we need to know about the current state of the franchise, and of the big-name quarterback it swiped (or so we thought :devil: ) from the Vikings for a second-round draft pick. Really, if Saban won't let Culpepper try to be the one to tie the game with less than two minutes to go, we don't think it'll be much longer before Saban decides to go with the other formerly high-profile quarterback whom he acquired from an NFC North team.

it would have been good if the WR didn't slip...

792632[/snapback]

Yea maybe if Mario Williams didnt tip it would have worked out....

or maybe if Ronnie Brown didnt throw like a chick it would have worked out.....

or just maybe if Mularkey wasnt calling the plays...it would have worked out....

Yea maybe if Mario Williams didnt tip it would have worked out....

or maybe if Ronnie Brown didnt throw like a chick it would have worked out.....

or just maybe if Mularkey wasnt calling the plays...it would have worked out....

793501[/snapback]

i just hope and pray that the kids in Miami are nicer than the kids in Buffalo, because right now, they have their pick:

saban's kid.

culpepper's kid.

brown's kid.

and, uh, that kevin costner' lookin' mo'fo's kid...

i would be in the hospital, being treated for a blown blood vessel in my head today, if that was our team....

i just hope and pray that the kids in Miami are nicer than the kids in Buffalo, because right now, they have their pick:

saban's kid.

culpepper's kid.

brown's kid.

and, uh, that kevin costner' lookin' mo'fo's kid...

i would be in the hospital, being treated for a blown blood vessel in my head today, if that was our team....

793510[/snapback]

That was our team....

last year

That was our team....

last year

793518[/snapback]

sorry about that hanging chad i left there. i would have blown said blood vessel this year had it been our team this year (with MM at the helm one more time), after last year. last year, i was only experiencing searing pain, like, uh, a homely girl with knitting needles jabbing them into my frontal lobe, through one or both of my eyes.

we were at the game yesterday, tailgating after the game, and one of the guys relayed what he had heard on the radio about the dolphins play. what a sweet, sweet place to hear about the call.

they were unwatchable.