Bill Simmons on Meathead

EC-Bills

Fun blurb from:

linky

21. Miami, 1-2

They almost lost to Tennessee at home last week. Warrants mentioning. Anyway, a Bills fan sent me a great e-mail about Mike Mularkey, who rose to prominence in Pittsburgh with an offense that hinged on short passes, screens, reverses and trick plays, then tried to do the same thing in Buffalo (and failed), and now he's trying to do the same thing in Miami (and failing). What the hell? Why don't they have Culpepper huck the ball downfield? It's inexplicable. I think Mularkey was the same guy who told David Ortiz to hit for singles when he played for the Twins.

:D

Fun blurb from:

linky

790481[/snapback]

Loved the part on the Patsies

If I were Brady, near the end of that debacle Sunday night, I would have called an out pattern toward the Patriots sideline and aimed a pass right at Belichick's head. But that's just me.

:o:huh::huh::o

Loved the part on the Patsies

If I were Brady, near the end of that debacle Sunday night, I would have called an out pattern toward the Patriots sideline and aimed a pass right at Belichick's head. But that's just me.

:D  :huh:  :o  :huh:

790624[/snapback]

Yeah, Bill has some good lines in this one

Anyway, if the Patriots don't have what it takes this winter for a fourth Super Bowl appearance, I'm pulling hard for Cincy to make it to Miami. And why? Because the Bengals would be out in Miami for two weeks!!!! Hide the women, hide the children, hide the Maxim models ... here come the Bengals! That would be the single greatest week in ESPN history. ESPN should station Ed Werder and Shelley Smith 24/7 outside the Miami Dade County courthouse right now just to be safe. Seriously, what would feature more arrests, Super Bowl week with the Bengals or Season 1 of "Miami Vice?" I'm 18 levels beyond giddy about this.

The answer to the question of why MM does not let Daunte be Daunte in terms of chucking the ball downfield is because of the huge limits to the quality of the MI OL and because of the likely limits on the recovering from an injury Culpepper as a scrambler.

This MI OL is lame enough that they even had Benie Anderson as an uograde abd this crew gave uo 7 sacks to our Bills. There is little sign that the OL can hold their blocks long enough to give Culpepper the time to chuck it downfield.

Further, while the OC's job is put the players in the best position for them to make the plays they can, the writer does not seem to get it that the current Culpepper simply cannot be reasonably expected to make the same plays as the old Culpepper. There was some sense that his leg injury might have not even allowed him to play as this season started. Fortunately for him, this was not the case.

However, the idea that "Meathead" should install an O that calls for the MI OL to hold blocks that cannot hold and then when they fail that the recovering Culpepper is going to avoid sacks by scampering for his life is silly.

MM may be to blame IF he led the way in getting players who simply are not good enough (my guess is he did in the effort to reclaim the likely done as a player Anderson, but that the Culpepper decision was made by a lot more folks than simply MM and in essense he is working with what he has rather than simply his choice of who he wants at QB).

However, my sense is that the problem here is not simply MM and if they had Fairchild, martz or whomever at OC everything would be fine. Just as the buck stopped with MM rather than Clements here in Buffalo, the buck stops with Saban rather than MM in MI. Saban may choose to go with another oC to accomplish his goals in MI, but i doubt this will help in that all appears he has but together a lame team with the aging Zach Thomas and Taylor leading the Das well as not having an offnse which works with the up and down from great to bad play of Chambers, Brown and Culpepper.

The writer and the poster demonstrate that their analysis is not very deep as it seems to fail to recognize that sometimes MM does a very good job (the consistent revival of failed QBs under his OC/HC leadership is quite impressive and happened a number of times) but he also does a bad job sometimes as well.

The bottomline which should be recognized is the the MM (and TC) offense worked quite well in Buffalo in the 2004 season to the tune of putting up a winning record after a horrid season though ultimately it failed to help achieve the holy grail of aplayoff berth. He failed to oversee having a productive O in 05 as the team fell apart IMHO because a decision was made (certainly by TD with MM's aggreement at least) to use 05 as a training time for JP because they judged that even though bledsoe was a better QB than JP at the time, he had no long term upside.

The answer to the question of why MM does not let Daunte be Daunte in terms of chucking the ball downfield is because of the huge limits to the quality of the MI OL and because of the likely limits on the recovering from an injury Culpepper as a scrambler.

This MI OL is lame enough that they even had Benie Anderson as an uograde abd this crew gave uo 7 sacks to our Bills.  There is little sign that the OL can hold their blocks long enough to give Culpepper the time to chuck it downfield.

Further, while the OC's job is put the players in the best position for them to make the plays they can, the writer does not seem to get it that the current Culpepper simply cannot be reasonably expected to make the same plays as the old Culpepper.  There was some sense that his leg injury might have not even allowed him to play as this season started.  Fortunately for him, this was not the case.

However, the idea that "Meathead" should install an O that calls for the MI OL to hold blocks that cannot hold and then when they fail that the recovering Culpepper is going to avoid sacks by scampering for his life is silly.

MM may be to blame IF he led the way in getting players who simply are not good enough (my guess is he did in the effort to reclaim the likely done as a player Anderson, but that the Culpepper decision was made by a lot more folks than simply MM and in essense he is working with what he has rather than simply his choice of who he wants at QB).

However,  my sense is that the problem here is not simply MM and if they had Fairchild, martz or whomever at OC everything would be fine.  Just as the buck stopped with MM rather than Clements here in Buffalo, the buck stops with Saban rather than MM in MI.  Saban may choose to go with another oC to accomplish his goals in MI, but i doubt this will help in that all appears he has but together a lame team with the aging Zach Thomas and Taylor leading the Das well as not having an offnse which works with the up and down from great to bad play of Chambers, Brown and Culpepper.

The writer and the poster demonstrate that their analysis is not very deep as it seems to fail to recognize that sometimes MM does a very good job (the consistent revival of failed QBs under his OC/HC leadership is quite impressive and happened a number of times) but he also does a bad job sometimes as well.

The bottomline which should be recognized is the the MM (and TC) offense worked quite well in Buffalo in the 2004 season to the tune of putting up a winning record after a horrid season though ultimately it failed to help achieve the holy grail of aplayoff berth.  He failed to oversee having a productive O in 05 as the team fell apart IMHO because a decision was made (certainly by TD with MM's aggreement at least) to use 05 as a training time for JP because they judged that even though bledsoe was a better QB than JP at the time, he had no long term upside.

790648[/snapback]

I think I understand what you are saying. Miami needs to acquire gadget players in order for MM's offense to succeed. On the O-line he'll need guys like Conrad Dobler who had some gadget blocking tactics that seemed to work.

This MI OL is lame enough that they even had Benie Anderson as an uograde abd this crew gave uo 7 sacks to our Bills.  There is little sign that the OL can hold their blocks long enough to give Culpepper the time to chuck it downfield.

Further, while the OC's job is put the players in the best position for them to make the plays they can, the writer does not seem to get it that the current Culpepper simply cannot be reasonably expected to make the same plays as the old Culpepper.  There was some sense that his leg injury might have not even allowed him to play as this season started.  Fortunately for him, this was not the case.

However,  my sense is that the problem here is not simply MM and if they had Fairchild, martz or whomever at OC everything would be fine.  Just as the buck stopped with MM rather than Clements here in Buffalo, the buck stops with Saban rather than MM in MI.  Saban may choose to go with another oC to accomplish his goals in MI, but i doubt this will help in that all appears he has but together a lame team with the aging Zach Thomas and Taylor leading the Das well as not having an offnse which works with the up and down from great to bad play of Chambers, Brown and Culpepper.

The bottomline which should be recognized is the the MM (and TC) offense worked quite well in Buffalo in the 2004 season to the tune of putting up a winning record after a horrid season though ultimately it failed to help achieve the holy grail of aplayoff berth.  He failed to oversee having a productive O in 05 as the team fell apart IMHO because a decision was made (certainly by TD with MM's aggreement at least) to use 05 as a training time for JP because they judged that even though bledsoe was a better QB than JP at the time, he had no long term upside.

790648[/snapback]

Oh.

Oh no!

Your wrote the word Jihad.  Now the NSA is gonna start reading TSW and knocking on our doors.

Quick...Everybody pretend nothings happening...

790678[/snapback]

some of the PPP'ers better hope the NSA doesn't navigate over that way or they may end up posting from Guantanamo :D

.... the buck stops with Saban rather than MM in MI.  Saban may choose to go with another oC to accomplish his goals in MI, but i doubt this will help in that all appears he has but together a lame team with the aging Zach Thomas and Taylor leading the Das well as not having an offnse which works with the up and down from great to bad play of Chambers, Brown and Culpepper....

790648[/snapback]

I find it very interesting that you pick out an "aging Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor" leading the defense on this "lame" team....The Dolphin defense is ranked 8th in total defense in the entire NFL....as easy as it is to take the road most traveled by harping on the aged veterans.....as poorly as the offense has performed (thanks MEATHEAD!).....the defense has done more than their share....