Has anyone heard Smerlas on WGR

seq004

Further on the team ties to specific outlets... both GR and WEEI are Entercom stations. We are subjected to Smerlas not because he is a quality guest, but because he is one of the family (perhaps).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Smerlas is a two-faced jerk, but he was actually complimentary towards JP at the beginning of the interview.  Where he lost it is refusing to acknowledge that JP was set-back in his development by the broken leg and a horrible coaching staff.  Now maybe if he were healthy and had say, Charlie Weis coaching him, it would be a different story. 

And in a similar vein, he's using the Tom Brady angle, i.e. a QB who "won" the SB in his 2nd year.  However unlike with JP, the Bills' defense is nowhere NEAR the Pats' defense from that or any of the other SB years.  If they did, the team would be 3-0 right now.

790088[/snapback]

Dont start comparing JP to Brady in any way..please.

By his 11th game Brees had already shown signs of being an NFL QB. JP has done nothing.

As far as Big Ben? It just proves it takes more then an arm to win in the NFL. Which is something Losman just doesn't get. Ben makes smart plays. He makes the right decision

most of the time. And he wins. But I do look forward to your post where you try to tell me that JP's first 11 starts are more impressive then Bens and that all of his wins and the SB ring mean nothing.  :devil:

790590[/snapback]

Nothing. That is funny. Please look at Brees' 11 starts which are his 17th-28th starts and tell me you don't think the Chargers should have been looking for a QB in the first round. He had 3 good starts 3 miserable starts and 4 fair-to-poor starts.

Let's face it, if J.P. keeps getting coached hard and stays on the field for the rest of the year and will produce numbers better then Brees' 2002 and 2003 combined numbers (passer rating). He has a way to go to be like Brees' best years but I'd bet about 15 QB's could have done as well as he has those years thanks to LT.

Just my humble opinion. I know J.P. has not done much but if wins 8 games this year that IMHO would be a great first full year as a starter in a new system. Add a very good OT and a good strong quick G and an impact TE or WR and he could be very dangerous in 2007 with an improving D that helps him out too.

All that said, I still want to see him make better decisions when the Bills are behind and/or when is under good pressure.

Go Bills.

Nothing.  That is funny.  Please look at Brees' 11 starts which are his 17th-28th starts and tell me you don't think the Chargers should have been looking for a QB in the first round.    He had 3 good starts 3 miserable starts and 4 fair-to-poor starts. 

Let's face it, if J.P. keeps getting coached hard and stays on the field for the rest of the year and will produce numbers better then Brees' 2002 and 2003 combined numbers (passer rating).  He has a way to go to be like Brees' best years but I'd bet about 15 QB's could have done as well as he has those years thanks to LT.

Just my humble opinion.  I know J.P. has not done much but if wins 8 games this year that IMHO would be a great first full year as a starter in a new system.  Add a very good OT and a good strong quick G and an impact TE or WR and he could be very dangerous in 2007 with an improving D that helps him out too.

All that said, I still want to see him make better decisions when the Bills are behind and/or when is under good pressure.

Go Bills.

793443[/snapback]

That right there proves how low the standards for Bills fans have fallen. Are you all that desperate that you are willing to cling to anything?

You guys are so willing to hang on to anything that you will ignore that Losman had one completion on third that resulted in a first down. He had another that went for -4 yards and another that went three yards when he needed 13 and he took two sacks.

That's a solid game? Why? Because he didn't fumble the game away like he did against the Jets?

MM did more then call a bad game. He has destroyed the football sense of Bills fans.

The bar has been so distorted that what was once average now becomes solid. A win that would once be cosidered just getting by is now a great win and a huge step forward. A game with 15 penalties is now a great coaching job.

I hope this Mularkey hangover wears off soon :devil:

Are you all that desperate that you are willing to cling to anything?

793498[/snapback]

Have we been watching the same team all these years? Of coarse our standards have been lowered. Have you been to self-esteem classes or something? :devil:

You guys are so willing to hang on to anything that you will ignore that Losman had one completion on third that resulted in a first down. He had another that went for -4 yards and another that went three yards when he needed 13 and he took two sacks.

You've really found yourself a statistic to keep ramming home. Congratulations. Hope you enjoy repeating it over and over again as the Bills keep winning games with JP at the helm.

If stats are so important to you why don't you look around the league at other qbs stats. Also your stat doesn't tell the full story - if JP has 2nd and 15 and throws a 13 yard pass setting up a short third down run for a first down, that's just as good.

How do you like these stats:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PRAT/2006/regular

JP has the 12th highest passer rating in the league and is even higher when considering the qbs that have played a full 4 games. (Eli Manning, Huard, and Rivers are the ones that immediately stand out to me)

His rating is higher than Palmer, Brady, Delhomme, Bledsoe and Hasselbeck. He also only has 12 career starts. Why is this settling for mediocrity?

Have we been watching the same team all these years?  Of coarse our standards have been lowered.  Have you been to self-esteem classes or something?  :devil:

793505[/snapback]

You know Ink. You are a wise man. I guess I still see this team a team that just missed the playoffs two years ago. Unlike everyone else who seems to think the Bills are coming off five straight 2-14 seasons.

I guess I should just be happy that the Vikes laid down for the Bills. They gave the Bills one TD by jumping offsides and another by stopping before a busted play was over.

The Bills are 2 and 2. The beat a solid Miami team with a powerful offense and they beats Vikes who showed no ill effects from the physical pounding the Bears laid on them. And they held there own against the Pats and Jets which never happens.

I'm sure the Bills third down problems will have nothing to do with the outcome of the Bears game. The Bears defense is horrible on third downs. Teams are completing almost 22% on them. :devil:

You've really found yourself a statistic to keep ramming home.  Congratulations.  Hope you enjoy repeating it over and over again as the Bills keep winning games with JP at the helm.

If stats are so important to you why don't you look around the league at other qbs stats.  Also your stat doesn't tell the full story - if JP has 2nd and 15 and throws a 13 yard pass setting up a short third down run for a first down, that's just as good. 

How do you like these stats:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PRAT/2006/regular

JP has the 12th highest passer rating in the league and is even higher when considering the qbs that have played a full 4 games.  (Eli Manning, Huard, and Rivers are the ones that immediately stand out to me)

His rating is higher than Palmer, Brady, Delhomme, Bledsoe and Hasselbeck.  He also only has 12 career starts.  Why is this settling for mediocrity?

793515[/snapback]

And if JP throws a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 13 his rating goes up. If he completes a pass for -4 yards on 3rd and 10 his rating goes up.

That was way too easy :devil:

And if JP throws a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 13 his rating goes up. If he completes a pass for -4 yards on 3rd and 10 his rating goes up.

793521[/snapback]

You're really hung up on that 3rd down stat. But your argument seems divorced from reality. QB rating is a flawed statistic. But so is the only one that you keep repeating. Somehow though that translates into if a qb throws a short pass on 3rd and long (and completes it) that means that QB ratings are meaningless.

What if that pass was the best option? What if the play is for a pass and the receiver to actually make yards following it? Somehow you've mangled making completions into a bad thing and you point to no specific instances where JP did anything like that which you are describing.

793521[/snapback]

Sorry, but you're wrong again. For example, if you took Losman's stats yesterday, and added an extra pass, an extra completion, and three yards, he loses .1 of one point on his rating. If he completes a pass for -4 instead of 3 yards, he loses a full point on his passer rating.

That right there proves how low the standards for Bills fans have fallen. Are you all that desperate that you are willing to cling to anything?

793498[/snapback]

No, you're the one clinging. Losman could go 99 for 100 and the one incompletion would be the worst pass ever thrown by a QB and a throw that's impossible for an NFL-calibre QB to throw.

At least Holcomb's Arm is amusing. You're just pathetic.

Welcome to my ignore list.