We blitzed 80% of the time

nodnarb

Folks, our D is pretty good. But I don't know what the front office sees in our DEs. I was glad we signed schobel to an extension but thought we overpaid. Kelsay hasn't shown much pass rush ability. Posey hasn't shown much either. Pat is still our best DLineman.

when a team blitzes as often as ours did, you should have at least a few sacks, but more important than sacks is consistent pressure. We pressured about three or four times, and we were always a step too slow before brady got it out.

I hate reading this article.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20041004/SP_010.htm

Folks, our D is pretty good. But I don't know what the front office sees in our DEs. I was glad we signed schobel to an extension but thought we overpaid. Kelsay hasn't shown much pass rush ability. Posey hasn't shown much either. Pat is still our best DLineman.

when a team blitzes as often as ours did, you should have at least a few sacks, but more important than sacks is consistent pressure. We pressured about three or four times, and we were always a step too slow before brady got it out.

I hate reading this article.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20041004/SP_010.htm

56936[/snapback]

There's more to the story (I didn't read the link). It's virtually impossible for a team to keep their QB from even getting hit when you're sending more than they have to block. The Patriots managed to do just that.

I counted at least 4 blatant holding penalties on NE completions yesterday and that was from my seat at a sports bar. I'm sure I missed a few, since I was oh, 5000 miles away. Thankfully they didn't miss the one on Shelton's 2 yard run that gave us a first down deep in Pats territory late in the 3rd quarter. Thanks NFL officiating! **

**Yes, I am crusading because that play changed the game. We probably would have found a different way to lose, but...

how many pressures? Knockdowns?

I'm not saying sacks aren't important becasue it gives your team momentum and the defense "gets" in the QB mind (ask bledsoe) but they're overrated sometimes.

Brady is the best QB in the NFL right now and he's an iceberg under pressure and seldom makes mistakes. He's awesome making his prgressions and more often that not his passes are on target.

Pre snap, he recognizes the blitz and he fires to the spot left by the blitzer perfectly.

I was watching NFL Network today and they were talking about Jim Mora, Jr and the new and improved Atlanta defense. Atlanta's defensive ends are, uh, similar to ours, yet they were getting good pressure on Carolina with 3 and 4 man rushes. The highlights they showed were pretty impressive......we need to get our DEs to follow suit. The way Schobel was getting blown off the screen yesterday was damn embarrassing.

Alsaka I agree once again. Do you know just how nearly impossible it is to hold on a 1/2 second FB dive play? Especially when the FB goes down after 2 yards? That call was obseen.

56949[/snapback]

The easiest way to buy a game, in my mind, is to get an official to throw a flag for holding on a 3rd and 1 running play. That thought goes through my mind everytime I see a play like that.

The reason why Brady didn't get sacked by us is because he gets rid of the ball so damn fast and he has great pocket awareness.

Yes, the Pats OL deserves some credit for the protection, but Brady is the real magician back there.

He's like Marino was for all them years in Miami. As imobile as they come but hardly ever a guy that gets sacked because he releases the ball so damn fast and he just has a knack for avoiding the pass rush.

I would add to all this that you can send the entire kitchen sink, but when Brady has a receiver running a crossing pattern all alone in the middle of the field, the blitz isn't going to mean crap.

Successful quarterback blitzing relies, to a great extent, on successful downfield coverage.

How many times did he hit people during a blitz?

With the Pats having no replay challenges left, there would have been a serious miscarriage of justice, as it was a incompletion. Neal's hustle made the play work out correctly and definitely saved his team.

Re: The Fletcher fumble. From the article. The Pats actually have the gall to use the phrase "a miscarriage of justice" in an officiating call? In a BILLS GAME? Wow, that's brass.

I'm so sick of our DE's always swinging wide in what seems like a 20-yd arc around opposing QB's. Have they never been taught a swim move to get back inside, or anything else for that matter? Every friggin' time they swing wide. It's embarrasing.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: our DE's, Schobel too!

Guest BillinDallas
The easiest way to buy a game, in my mind, is to get an official to throw a flag for holding on a 3rd and 1 running play.  That thought goes through my mind everytime I see a play like that.

56962[/snapback]

Atleast this time they were not yelling "just give the Patriots the first down". Perhaps if the fans were to storm the field and hang a couple of referees from the goal post the NFL might stop acting like the WWF.

I'm so sick of our DE's always swinging wide in what seems like a 20-yd arc around opposing QB's. Have they never been taught a swim move to get back inside, or anything else for that matter? Every friggin' time they swing wide. It's embarrasing.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  our DE's, Schobel too!

57218[/snapback]

They need to study Bruce Smith's film. Start with the outside arc and spin to the inside. Poetry in violent motion. :lol:

Oh, stevestojan, I did an ON topic reply! :lol:

Pre snap, he recognizes the blitz and he fires to the spot left by the blitzer perfectly.

The thing I came away with watching Brady's performance was that when he has those blitzers in his face he automatically just seems to launch it to a spot on the field - not a player. I do give credit to the Pats system/coaching on this - they have these timing patterns and the players seem to be very disciplined in going to where they are supposed to go. On two of Brady's bombs I swear I saw him just turn his head sideways and heave it to a spot on the field where no one was at the time it left his hand - almost like he was throwing it away - only to have a receiver come out of nowhere and run under it.

Guest Guesteroo

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  our DE's, Schobel too!

57218[/snapback]

That is EXACTLY what infuriates me too. Time after time after time their O lineman would just "ride our DEs wide of Brady. Who the hell is our defensive line coach? Krumrie? He needs to teach them some inside moves or move on himself. They are not getting any consistent pressure, even with all the blitzing. AND, how about stunting once in awhile? They never stunt! At least someone would have a shot that way!

The reason why Brady didn't get sacked by us is because he gets rid of the ball so damn fast and he has great pocket awareness. 

Yes, the Pats OL deserves some credit for the protection, but Brady is the real magician back there.

He's like Marino was for all them years in Miami.  As imobile as they come but hardly ever a guy that gets sacked because he releases the ball so damn fast and he just has a knack for avoiding the pass rush.

57195[/snapback]

This post is simply not true on a signficant number of plays on Sunday. Brady was great on Sunday, but it was not simply him deliverinmg the ball quickly, but it was also him being smart enough to recognize when his blockers were holding the Bills and hanging onto the ball.

If you want specifics:

1. On several plays, it wasn't that Brady released the ball quickly, it was that his blockers gave him enough time to hold the ball while his receivers ran downfield crossing patterns, For example, on the TD to Patten it took a bit of time and the blockers gave it to Brady for his receiver to cross the entire field and get downfield to be open when Coy Wire was unable to run through the picks of crossing players to cover Patten. They ran this type of play several times.

2. Likewise their was one play in the endzone where Brday was huge in holding onto the ball for several seconds while the Bills mounted an ineffective rush and a Pats receiver finally broke free for a gain off their goaline.

3. Another example was the 1st and 35 pass play where the Pats picked up 44 on a long downfield catch that was more pass than RAC.

Brady is a great QB and knows and reads his blockers well, he throws both the good quick timing pass and waits when he has the opportunity. However, there were too many cases on Sunday where the Bills rush simply did not do the job and Brady correctly waited rather than releasing the ball like Marino.

the reason we got no sacks when we blitz 80% of the time while other teams get 4-5 sacks on bledsoe per game is because THEY HAVE A FREAKING O-LINE!!!!!

our C is not out. who do you think will be calling out blitzers to the other O-lineman???

Williams is average at RT.

L Smith, is ok, but is usually the one getting beat on sacks, or a busted run play. or a holding call

J. Jennings is good, but he has to stay healthy.

Vallarial is good, but he HOLDS TO MUCH!!!! how many 3rd and short plays has he screwed up and we ended up punting insted of getting a FG???

Henry needs to learn how to pass block. he does ok MOST of the time. but the one time he misses will be on a 3rd down.

god, the freakin Giants have a better O-Line than us. WTF!!!!!!!

That is EXACTLY what infuriates me too. Time after time after time their O lineman would just "ride our DEs wide of Brady. Who the hell is our defensive line coach? Krumrie? He needs to teach them some inside moves or move on himself. They are not getting any consistent pressure, even with all the blitzing. AND, how about stunting once in awhile? They never stunt! At least someone would have a shot that way!

58052[/snapback]

I remember at the beginning of last year joking that if you didn't have HDTV you'd miss ever seeing Shoebel after the snap - since he'd be rushing so wide he'd be outside the screen dimensions. I thought he appeared to get better towards the end of the year - I haven't watched him this year but it appears then he's back to his old trick (singular)?