about andre reeds #83?

JAMIEBUF12

i am just curious.......if the buffalo bills are putting andre reed up on the wall this sunday,why didn't the bills retire his #83?....on top of all this i am sure andre reed will be in the hall of fame some day.i really like lee evans,but i do not think he should have andre's #83.go bills sunday...and pat williams please be gentle with willis lol.

Going up on the Wall does not mean your jersey is retired.  To the contrary, the only jersey number the Bills have ever retired is #12 for Kelly.

789755[/snapback]

oh i understand that...but i would think a player like andre reed the bills would want to retire his # along with thurman and bruce smith eventually.

I dont know, Andre was a great player, and im glad he is on the wall..... but retiring his number? I think thats a little much. Retired numbers are for players that are absolutely phenominal and leave some sort of legacy. I dont think Reed is at that point. I wouldnt retire Thurman either, there is a strong case for Bruce since he has the sack record, but Andre definitely not.

oh i understand that...but i would think a player like andre reed the bills would want to retire his # along with thurman and bruce smith eventually.

789756[/snapback]

Not a fan of retiring numbers.

There's 1-99 to chose from and a roster of 53...

Let's see:  One retired number since 1960.  That means it'll take about 2100 years until we run out of numbers.  Definitely a concern.

789800[/snapback]

...maybe from this reason,

12 - John Brodie

16 - Joe Montana

34 - Joe Perry

37 - Jimmy Johnson

39 - Hugh McElhenny

42 - Ronnie Lott

70 - Charlie Krueger

73 - Leo Nomellini

79 - Bob St. Clair

87 - Dwight Clark

With plans to retire Steve Young's #8 and Jerry Rice's #80.

:lol:

They entered the NFL in 1946...thankfully they've sucked for the past years.

The prospect of un-retiring a number is just awkward.

<_<

I dont know, Andre was a great player, and im glad he is on the wall..... but retiring his number? I think thats a little much. Retired numbers are for players that are absolutely phenominal and leave some sort of legacy. I dont think Reed is at that point. I wouldnt retire Thurman either, there is a strong case for Bruce since he has the sack record, but Andre definitely not.

789790[/snapback]

I agree with you. Bruce is about the only one remotely worthy of retiring his number. TT and Reed are not on the same level. Wall of Fame: Yes. Retiring number: No.

12 and 78 are the only numbers worthy of retiring

tho i think 32 is "unofficially" retired. originally out of respect and now i don't think any Bill would want it

Noone has worn 78 or 34 since 1999. Prior to this year with Fowler, noone had worn 67 since Hull.

12 and 78 are the only numbers worthy of retiring

tho i think 32 is "unofficially" retired.  originally out of respect and now i don't think any Bill would want it

789859[/snapback]

#34 meant so much to this team during those 10 years.....78 might have the Stats, but #34 was as good as 78. He was the heart and soul of that offense.