When will the Bills lock-up Fletcher

Buffalo Mike1

Long term? I really hope this happens, and I am sure I'm not alone. If they say they do not negotiate durring tthe season, that means they do not want to deal. They locked up McGee durring the season.

789628[/snapback]

Fletcher is too old to be getting a big contract from the Bills.

His game is speed which is the first thing to go in aging players.

Fletcher is too old to be getting a big contract from the Bills.

His game is speed which is the first thing to go in aging players.

789702[/snapback]

Yeah we should let our defensive captain, a team leader, high character quality football player and the guy who's lead the nfl in tackles for the past 5 seasons walk. I'm sure that will go over well. John Pizza boy can replace him :doh:

Yeah we should let our defensive captain, a team leader, high character quality football player  and the guy who's lead the nfl in tackles for the past 5 seasons walk. I'm sure that will go over well.  John Pizza boy can replace him  :doh:

789738[/snapback]

Pizza Boy obviously can't replace him.

Fixing the lines should be priority #1 this offseason. Replacing Clements, #2. Drafting a backup (see: successor) for Fletcher should be #3.

. . . the guy who's lead the nfl in tackles for the past 5 seasons . . .

789738[/snapback]

according to official statistics or the statistics the bills put up on their website? cause i'm pretty sure, check that, 100% sure (check out nfl.com stats) he hasn't lead any of the last 5 seasons. i'm not saying we don't want him around. i think the perfect situation would be to sign him for a 3 year, __ million dollar contract (someone who knows more about contract numbers than me fill in the number). that way we give him the money he deserves as being a great player for us and a team leader, but we don't want to break the bank for someone on the wrong side of 30, and three years down the road when his contract is up they'll know if he's still playing well, and to sign him to another year or two or let him go.

according to official statistics or the statistics the bills put up on their website? cause i'm pretty sure, check that, 100% sure (check out nfl.com stats) he hasn't lead any of the last 5 seasons.  i'm not saying we don't want him around.  i think the perfect situation would be to sign him for a 3 year, __ million dollar contract (someone who knows more about contract numbers than me fill in the number).  that way we give him the money he deserves as being a great player for us and a team leader, but we don't want to break the bank for someone on the wrong side of 30, and three years down the road when his contract is up they'll know if he's still playing well, and to sign him to another year or two or let him go.

789767[/snapback]

I think the stat is that over the last five seasons he has made more tackles than anyone else has in those five seasons. Total number and therefore average per season. He wouldn't have to lead the league any year. Actually that shows a remarkable consistency more than anything.

I think the stat is that over the last five seasons he has made more tackles than anyone else has in those five seasons. Total number and therefore average per season. He wouldn't have to lead the league any year. Actually that shows a remarkable consistency more than anything.

789771[/snapback]

an excellent point

Tackles are a subjective stat. Zach Thomas jumps on the pile at the end of the play and people consider that a tackle. There is no way I would want Zach Thomas. You cannot appeal to tackles as a reason that a player is good. Zach misses more tackles than he makes. Would you still want London if he was near the top in tackles, but missed as many as he made?

Tackles are a subjective stat. Zach Thomas jumps on the pile at the end of the play and people consider that a tackle. There is no way I would want Zach Thomas. You cannot appeal to tackles as a reason that a player is good. Zach misses more tackles than he makes. Would you still want London if he was near the top in tackles, but missed as many as he made?

789903[/snapback]

No I wouldn't....but he doesn't, so I do still want him

London Fletcher is a key to this defense........

Granted he's 31 years old, but hes the guy that gets this defense going. I mean, look at what hes done the past few years. Hes been a rock out there.

I dont think age is a factor here at all, hes a beast on the field.

Long term? I really hope this happens, and I am sure I'm not alone. If they say they do not negotiate durring tthe season, that means they do not want to deal. They locked up McGee durring the season.

789628[/snapback]

Different organizations....and different situations....McGee was a RFA and decided to take up the long term offer....and was a young and upcoming talented player.

Fltecher even though has been very excellent here for the last 4 years will be 31 or 32 next season....Don't know if you want to throw too much money in there...Look at the steelers...Even though Porter has played his heart out, he will be 30 and they balking at giving him a long term contract extension....LBs especially MLB can be had at a much lower price than what Fletcher might demand

unless fletcher is willing to cut a cap friendly backloaded deal for the Bills.

London Fletcher is a key to this defense........

Granted he's 31 years old, but hes the guy that gets this defense going.  I mean, look at what hes done the past few years.  Hes been a rock out there.

I dont think age is a factor here at all, hes a beast on the field.

789936[/snapback]

Age is certainly a factor, typically premium linebackers start losing a step around 32-33 years old. Very few linebackers are stellar into their mid-late 30's and rarely do you see a backer playing till they are 40 (Clay Mathews is the only that comes to mind).