EZ Pass Question

rockpile

There are a few cars that cannot use an EZ pass sensor inside the car. For those cars they offer an EXTERNALLY mounted sensor.

Isn't that kind of like duct taping your spare key to the windshield in case you lock your other one in the car? :blink:

What is to stop someone from stealing it, and how many people would check to see it was still there regularly?

The outside sensor screws onto your license plate. It doesn't really have any value besides "free rides on the Thruway," so it's not like it's a big theft target. There are usually things of greater value in/on your vehicle that can be had with less effort than unscrewing the plate screws to get the EZ Pass off....If they were that valuable the window ones would probably be quicker to steal, actually...

If someone did steal it, they'd probably leave the plate behind (why put it back together?), so seeing your license plate sitting in front of your vehicle may be a good indicator to check for your EZ Pass Tag. :blink:

I think the toll booth scans you liscense plate. I use to have a lot of trouble using the tag in different cars, it would only work on the car it was registered under.

So stealing it does not help anyone unless they take your liscense plate also.

.. and I'm sure if someone did steal it it'd be a cinch for the cops to track them down when they went through a toll booth.

I was reading something that said that EZ-Pass is going to be used for more than just cruising on the thruway.  Pretty soon, you will be able to by food at drive thru restaurants amongst other things.

789051[/snapback]

Great, Americans getting fat even faster. :blink:

The outside sensor screws onto your license plate.  It doesn't really have any value besides "free rides on the Thruway," so it's not like it's a big theft target.  There are usually things of greater value in/on your vehicle that can be had with less effort than unscrewing the plate screws to get the EZ Pass off....If they were that valuable the window ones would probably be quicker to steal, actually...

If someone did steal it, they'd probably leave the plate behind (why put it back together?), so seeing your license plate sitting in front of your vehicle may be a good indicator to check for your EZ Pass Tag. :(

789001[/snapback]

If your car is unlocked , the window one would be easier. :blink:

I guess I am just being paranoid after reading another thread about "glamour" license plate being stolen.

One thing that is annoying is that if I tow my popup trailer, I have to go through the cash lane anyway!

I used it for the first time last night and the EZ Pass lane was nice.

If your car is unlocked , the window one would be easier.  :blink:

789118[/snapback]

Doesn't take but a second to break a window if it is locked. Again, if it's enough value to go at a license plate with a screwdriver, it's enough value to break a window...

My car has a "double glove box" and my EZ Pass actually works while in the upper one, so no problems for me with that car.

I think they charge $25 to replace. If you were really concerned you could always pay $4 for a set of security screws. Recommended for anyone with a vanity plate, for obvious reasons...

I think the toll booth scans you liscense plate. I use to have a lot of trouble using the tag in different cars, it would only work on the car it was registered under.

So stealing it does not help anyone unless they take your liscense plate also.

.. and I'm sure if someone did steal it it'd be a cinch for the cops to track them down when they went through a toll booth.

789010[/snapback]

I have the VA Smart Tag, which is now compatable with ezpass. I use in differant cars all the time up and down the east coast, no problems to report

I was reading something that said that EZ-Pass is going to be used for more than just cruising on the thruway.

789051[/snapback]

There was a time when it was planned for speed enforcement too. Like if you traveled 80 miles on the NYS Thruway, and started and ended in one hour, you were going 80mph. A citation would then be sent to you

There was a time when it was planned for speed enforcement too.  Like if you traveled 80 miles on the NYS Thruway, and started and ended in one hour, you were going 80mph.  A citation would then be sent to you

789238[/snapback]

Except if they did that, then everyone would drop their EZ Pass, and they'd be back at square one...