Potential Bills Owner?

SportsLine.com is reporting:

"The Toronto Sun reports there are several parties trying to enter a bid to purchase the Boston Bruins."

First off, let me say I find it hard to believe Jacobs is selling the Bruins. That team/arena is a cash cow for him.

However... kinda makes you think, doesn't it?

Just throwing that out there on an otherwise SLOOOOOOW day.

SportsLine.com is reporting:

"The Toronto Sun reports there are several parties trying to enter a bid to purchase the Boston Bruins."

First off, let me say I find it hard to believe Jacobs is selling the Bruins.  That team/arena is a cash cow for him.

However... kinda makes you think, doesn't it?

Just throwing that out there on an otherwise SLOOOOOOW day.

788627[/snapback]

One cash cow to another possibly.......how much more does the guy need--another billion or two???

It is interesting that Jacobs may be 'shopping' the Bruins - I'm pretty sure the NFL bans cross-ownership, so maybe he's looking to 'unload' the hockey team. There's certainly been enough noise that Ralph is not happy with his 'small market' situation - could be that Jacobs knows something, or thinks 'the time is ripe' to make his bid.

According to recent Forbes reports, the Bills are valued at over $700M. I don't see how their revenue stream justifies that figure, but I'm pretty sure that there isn't any one person in WNY who - alone - has the financial standing (or desire) to pony up that much cabbage - even Jacobs.

My guess is it would take some sort of consortium involving Jacobs, Tom Golisano, Bob Rich, and maybe even a few others. (I know Jim Kelley wants to be an owner, and he's friendly with Ralph, but he's also a relative pauper compared to those other guys.) Possibly, a group like that would guarantee the team stays here.

It is interesting that Jacobs may be 'shopping' the Bruins - I'm pretty sure the NFL bans cross-ownership, so maybe he's looking to 'unload' the hockey team.  There's certainly been enough noise that Ralph is not happy with his 'small market' situation - could be that Jacobs knows something, or thinks 'the time is ripe' to make his bid.

According to recent Forbes reports, the Bills are valued at over $700M.  I don't see how their revenue stream justifies that figure, but I'm pretty sure that there isn't any one person in WNY who - alone - has the financial standing (or desire) to pony up that much cabbage - even Jacobs.

My guess is it would take some sort of consortium involving Jacobs, Tom Golisano, Bob Rich, and maybe even a few others.  (I know Jim Kelley wants to be an owner, and he's friendly with Ralph, but he's also a relative pauper compared to those other guys.)  Possibly, a group like that would guarantee the team stays here.

788682[/snapback]

Who's going to put up $700 in cash? You put down a fraction and finance the rest usually with the help of a low interest loan from the NFL which you then don't pay back if you're Robert Kraft.

Not anymore at least. I think the Dolphins owner does own the Florida Panthers though.

788711[/snapback]

Then I stand corrected, but wasn't there some brouhaha about the Timberwolves' owner wanting to buy the Vikings fairly recently? Is it maybe a cross-ownership ban the same market, or has it been completely lifted?

You do NOT want Jacobs to own the Bills based on the way he has run the Bruins. He keeps them just competitive enough to make the playoffs on occassion and suck in the customers, but he's never gone the extra mile to make them a real cup contender. He's treated them like his personal ATM.

Plus it's hard to respect the way he treats people. Harry Sinden was the Bruins President for 17 years, and the way he was demoted was classless.

"According to two sources, when it came time to relegate club president Harry Sinden to the role of senior adviser, he first received word not from the senior Jacobs, but from the Delaware North corporate personnel office in Buffalo."

source

You do NOT want Jacobs to own the Bills based on the way he has run the Bruins. He keeps them just competitive enough to make the playoffs on occassion and suck in the customers, but he's never gone the extra mile to make them a real cup contender. He's treated them like his personal ATM.

Plus it's hard to respect the way he treats people. Harry Sinden was the Bruins President for 17 years, and the way he was demoted was classless.

"According to two sources, when it came time to relegate club president Harry Sinden to the role of senior adviser, he first received word not from the senior Jacobs, but from the Delaware North corporate personnel office in Buffalo."

source

788775[/snapback]

Playoffs are looking mighty good based on our recent history.

You put down a fraction and finance the rest usually with the help of a low interest loan from the NFL which you then don't pay back if you're Robert Kraft.

care to elaborate? I'm skeptical that Kraft has a loan that he didn't pay back...

I am convinced once Ralph passes on (hopefully he lives another 20+) the team will be moving north. I have nothing to base this on other than personal belief.

788661[/snapback]

This is just my personal belief but I believe if Ralph dies anytime within the next 15 years (I surely hope he does not though) , that Tom Golisano would at least make a push to buy the team.

No one person has enough liquid cash to buy the team. It would have to be a group. Let's hope Ralph lives to 100+. Yes they would have to finance the team but that cuts into any profit whatsoever the way the team is run now. The owner takes about 7-10M/year profit on the team. Financing 300M+ is going to have a yearly payment way more than 10M the team gets in profit now. Paying interest only would be 21M/year on a 7% loan.

Pray Ralph stays very healthy.

I am not a doomsdayer like many that say the Bills are going to leave--but fans should be ready for some major changes like paying more for tickets, parking, etc.. if they want the team to stay. We should be willing to pay more to keep the team. If not, then they should go because people aren't willing to pay for them.