Joe D comments on Fergy's analysis

Buftex

Some guys are self critical in the extreme and others blame everyone else but themselves.  I don't know what kind of guy JP is but watching his post game pc I thought I heard a lot of tension in his voice. 

788249[/snapback]

In this regard, ironically, he reminds me a little bit of Joe Ferguson...after the first fumble on Sunday, they showed him on the sidelines, looking very dejected...one of the guys in the bar yelled, "Oh, don't get down now..." Like his "#1 critic", it seems he has to guard against letting his emotions get the better of him...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In this regard, ironically, he reminds me a little bit of Joe Ferguson...after the first fumble on Sunday, they showed him on the sidelines, looking very dejected...one of the guys in the bar yelled, "Oh, don't get down now..."  Like his "#1 critic", it seems he has to guard against letting his emotions get the better of him...

788450[/snapback]

I agree, Fergy was like that but even worse. He would openly chew out a player at the drop of a hat. If that had been Fergy on Sunday, he would have berated Willis for that missed block in front of the whole stadium.

Years ago Bobby Chandler told the story of how he had his whole family up from California to watch him play in Buffalo, the first time they had seen him play pro football. He dropped a pass at some point, something that, if you remember Chandler, he virtually never ever did. Fergy was brutal to him right out there on the field in front of everyone. Chandler told him that if he ever did that again he'd deck him. Fergy didn't bother him after that. Fergy could be a real sob but that was part of his toughness and he eventually learned to control it.

I agree, Fergy was like that but even worse.  He would openly chew out a player at the drop of a hat.  If that had been Fergy on Sunday, he would have berated Willis for that missed block in front of the whole stadium.

Years ago Bobby Chandler told the story of how he had his whole family up from California to watch him play in Buffalo, the first time they had seen him play pro football.  He dropped a pass at some point, something that, if you remember Chandler, he virtually never ever did.  Fergy was brutal to him right out there on the field in front of everyone.  Chandler told him that if he ever did that again he'd deck him.  Fergy didn't bother him after that.  Fergy could be a real sob but that was part of his toughness and he eventually learned to control it.

789039[/snapback]

Yeah, Feguson could be a little tightly wound at times. I don't recall him chewing out teammates as much as beating himself up, after a bad play.

I do remember one instance though, I think it was 1984, against the Theisman era Redskins, where he just got tossed around like a rag doll by the Skins defense all day....after one play, he got up to chew out the left side of his line, his jersey covered in mud, his hands extended out at his sides, ball in one hand, and his helmet, literally, turned sideways...all you could see of his face was his teeth, in mid-scream...I remember it was a color photo, front page of the Buffalo News sports section, one autumn Monday...kind of epitomized the "darker side" of Fergusons' time in Buffalo...