Driving back from the game

Guffalo

As my wife and I were driving back from Buffalo today, on Route 17 between exits 80 & 81 we spotted a large back bear, it seemed to be trying to cross the road. It was on all fours, but the ears were the size on my hands and it had to be at least 6 feet tall and big/fat.

After the initial shock of seeing it my wife asked if we should call the police, I said I didnt think they would do anything about it. There were some houses on the other side of the road about a quarter of a mile down 17. Does anyone know if the cops would have done anything if we called?

Dunno about you New Yorkers, but around here a 'nuisance bear' is reported to the Game Commission, not the police. (Not much a policeman is going to be able to do vs. a 500-pounder with either a service-issue sidearm or a shotgun, anyway...)

As my wife and I were driving back from Buffalo today, on Route 17 between exits 80 & 81 we spotted a large back bear, it seemed to be trying to cross the road. It was on all fours, but the ears were the size on my hands and it had to be at least 6 feet tall and big/fat.

After the initial shock of seeing it my wife asked if we should call the police, I said I didnt think they would do anything about it. There were some houses on the other side of the road about a quarter of a mile down 17. Does anyone know if the cops would have done anything if we called?

786541[/snapback]

What would you want them to do?

What would you want them to do?

786570[/snapback]

My point exactly! My wife was making me feel guilty about the houses and those poor kids getting off the school bus with lamb chops tied around their waists. I said the cops wouldn't do anything....

My point exactly! My wife was making me feel guilty about the houses and those poor kids getting off the school bus with lamb chops tied around their waists. I said the cops wouldn't do anything....

786574[/snapback]

Black Bears aren't uncommon on 17. Black bear attacks are.

You could always call the DEC.

Black Bears aren't uncommon on 17. Black bear attacks are.

You could always call the DEC.

786587[/snapback]

Saw one up the road from me here in GA a couple months back. About three miles from the house walking down the street. Not a very big one, but still. It's all of the damned development here. They're putting subdivisions on every lot and a strip mall on every corner. You can't build your own house here unless you own at least two acres, but the Pulte's are pounding 'em out on 1/20th acre lots.

Rant aside.... I called the cops. If they have one wander into a populated area, they'll actually tranq/capture it and ship it out a couple hundred miles. Not sure if the NYDEC would do that or not.

I've talked to a couple cops about it since then and they say they're usually more worried about some hillbilly with a .30-06 trying to take it out in a residential area than they are of the bear itself.

-Jeff

[

True story.

About 6 years ago I was doing pastrys at the Inn I currently work for and I had to be to work at 6 am ish. So I was out the door by 5:30 am and didn't have any coffee in me yet (kinda groggy still). I'm driving from Saranac Lake to Lake Placid and I hit a little hamlet called Raybrook. Upon driving I see this huge black bear lying lon the side of the road, I didn't know if it was dead or not so I pull up right beihind it with my lights on it. I then (obviously not thinking) go into the woods and grab a stick. I get about 10 feet prior to poking it and the bear lets out this crying hiss. I drop the stick and jump back into my truck. It must have just been hit by a car cause it was still alive. Everytime I tell the story I'm glad I didn't poke the bear. My buddy who I work with had to be in at 7:30 said it was gone on his way in. It must have gotten up and took off. Or the DEC capped it.

Does anyone know if the cops would have done anything if we called?

786541[/snapback]

I doubt they would do anything. We get them in town once in awhile, and some of my friends have had them tear down their birdfeeders.

I have a great bear story. Me, my brother and a friend were rabbit hunting in Feb this year. We came up on a big brush pile that had some coyote tracks heading into it. The beagles went under the pile and started barking and came running back out. So I figured there was a coyote in there and was going to shoot it. So I pushed through the brush so I could look into the den under the pile, I had to almost crawl to where I could see. Well it wasn't a coyote, it was a 250-300 pound black bear that the dogs had woke up, it was yawning and I was about 15 feet from it, I could see all it's teeth. Now I'm think if this is a sow I am in big trouble.

My brother had a single shot 20 ga and a .22 pistol, my buddy had a pump .410 (not even close to bear calibers), and I was so tangled that I couldn'y even lift my gun, so I start backpeddling out of the pile, trip and fall down. I hear my brother say here it comes, I roll over and start running, I hear my brother start shooting his pistol so I look over my shoulder and the two of them are laughing. The bear ran away from us. I can laugh now, but that was too close for comfort.