Big yardage, bad situational awareness

nodnarb

I like JP, but if this game tells us anything, it tells us that JP has a long way to go to understand key situations and what you do in those situations. You don't scramble backwards out of field goal range on third down. You can't fumble the ball twice when you know you can tuck it and run through the gaping hole in front of you. The last ones stick out in my mind....when he scrambled left on 3rd and 1 with less than 2 minutes left...and threw it away thru the endzone...terrible decision. He had the sideline and the first down right in front of him. He could have made it there on a wheelchair. He had 1st down and a stopped clock but his mind was fixed on stopping the clock so he made a bad, unaware decision.

I'm not gonna jump down the kid's throat because he did a lot of good things and our defense didn't help him one bit (where was the pressure? where were the big hits?) but this was a game we should have one, and JP did just enough to hurt his team to nullify anything he did well.

Oh, and I really hate mangini. I've decided.

Our playcalling is so much better than it has been in the last 4 years, but again, the one play that turned the momentum was that unnecessary fake FG that was busted up by moorman's bad shuffle pass. I don't like it when you have the lead, you have the momentum, and you're in position to make it a two possession game...and you do something quirky. It doesn't seem like Jauron ball, either...but I'm sure we'd say it was brilliant if Moorman had passed it properly and it went for a first that resulted in a TD.

But I will always be against high risk tricks that can turn momentum against you...particularly against a team that had generated zero momentum of their own to that point.

Hopefullly they'll get wiser. TAKE THE POINTS AND QUIT FUGGIN AROUND

Our playcalling is so much better than it has been in the last 4 years, but again, the one play that turned the momentum was that unnecessary fake FG that was busted up by moorman's bad shuffle pass. I don't like it when you have the lead, you have the momentum, and you're in position to make it a two possession game...and you do something quirky. It doesn't seem like Jauron ball, either...but I'm sure we'd say it was brilliant if Moorman had passed it properly and it went for a first that resulted in a TD.

But I will always be against high risk tricks that can turn momentum against you...particularly against a team that had generated zero momentum of their own to that point.

784572[/snapback]

Well said. The other head scratching play call was the naked bootleg on 3rd and 1 on the 1. WTF was that?!

I'm not gonna jump down the kid's throat because he did a lot of good things and our defense didn't help him one bit (where was the pressure? where were the big hits?) but this was a game we should have one, and JP did just enough to hurt his team to nullify anything he did well.

784505[/snapback]

The defense didn't do enough?!?

Sorry to be the partypooper, but in the 2nd half the defense has a winning case for nonsupport.

Shouldn't expect them to be able to pitch shutouts every week while JP's working out the kinks.

Agree...lindell has been money. Let him kick it thru with the aid of the wind. Also on 3rd and 1 at the goal-line, i hate the fake toss to willis, and roll out. I would have punched it up in there.

It was stacked against them on that final drive, with the wind and then the rain coming down so hard. Tough break for the weather to turn like that. Still, JP should have ran on the last 4th down.

784572[/snapback]

Ehh.... I think they punt there rather than go for 50+ on a day like today. If I knew it was going to be a fake, I'm sure Mangini did too.

But, agreed that the fake (and 4th down call) took wind out of our sails.

784572[/snapback]

a 53 yard FG is not easy wind or no wind. I was surprised we did not punt and play field position. Mooremen is great at dumping the ball inside the ten. However the turnovers really killed us today. They lead to 14 points.

I like JP, but if this game tells us anything, it tells us that JP has a long way to go to understand key situations and what you do in those situations. You don't scramble backwards out of field goal range on third down. You can't fumble the ball twice when you know you can tuck it and run through the gaping hole in front of you. The last ones stick out in my mind....when he scrambled left on 3rd and 1 with less than 2 minutes left...and threw it away thru the endzone...terrible decision. He had the sideline and the first down right in front of him. He could have made it there on a wheelchair. He had 1st down and a stopped clock but his mind was fixed on stopping the clock so he made a bad, unaware decision.

Oh, and I really hate mangini. I've decided.

784505[/snapback]

Nailed it. I said much of the same during the gameday thread. If you watched Pennington closely in the red zone today he has great situational awareness and he knows the checkdown plays like they are glued to his brain.

I think the defensive play calling could have been a little more aggressive in the second half to get a little pressure on Chad. There was 0 pressure on him with a line starting 2 rookies.

I question some of the offensive play calling in the first half, but I'm willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt for a while.

Bottom line, it is a rebuilding year and we're going to have ups and downs. The sheer domination in Miami gave a lot of us that false hope that maybe there was something more this year. Reality hurts but its still fun to hope.

RTB

Nailed it.  I said much of the same during the gameday thread.  If you watched Pennington closely in the red zone today he has great situational awareness and he knows the checkdown plays like they are glued to his brain.

784599[/snapback]

The second half was Pennington feasting on his bread and butter.

The D can only do so much against it.

Well said. The other head scratching play call was the naked bootleg on 3rd and 1 on the 1. WTF was that?!

784580[/snapback]

The reason we had to do that is we lost shelton, so we lost our primary goalline personnel package. I like the call, but again, I didn't like the fact that JP didn't notice that there was a jet on the line that hadn't been accounted for. CLearly a LOS spy watching the ball just in case of a bootleg. It was a great heads up call by mangina's dc, unfortunately. Maybe JP saw it and didn't audible because he thought he could beat him to the corner. Who knows.

The reason we had to do that is we lost shelton, so we lost our primary goalline personnel package. I like the call, but again, I didn't like the fact that JP didn't notice that there was a jet on the line that hadn't been accounted for. CLearly a LOS spy watching the ball just in case of a bootleg. It was a great heads up call by mangina's dc, unfortunately. Maybe JP saw it and didn't audible because he thought he could beat him to the corner. Who knows.

784629[/snapback]

I don't think he's supposed to be accounted for. The idea of the misdirection is to get the D moving that way. If a Bills moves out to pick him up it defeats the purpose of the play.

I don't think he's supposed to be accounted for.  The idea of the misdirection is to get the D moving that way.  If a Bills moves out to pick him up it defeats the purpose of the play.

784640[/snapback]

It's either one of two things: Busted blocking assignment or JP misjudged the speed of bobby hamilton. The reason I don't think it's the latter is because I'm not sure how much faster JP could have turned himself around toward that left post.

784629[/snapback]

Shelton got hurt? Was this addressed at all by the announcers?

The dumbest play he made was calling a TO with 2:02 left on the clock! I mean he does frustrate me in that one minute he makes a great play then the next its' like what was he thinking? One week I give him credit for not being turnover prone and what does he do this week commit 3! But I have to be patient as this is his 11th start (I know the bashers will point out 2-9) but all those mistakes can be taught, the ability to throw the ball can't. And for all those Brady QUin fans out there believe me he will take about 2-3 years to adjust as well so just be patient! The biggest positive form this game is that maybe the coaching staff will realize that we have an explosive bunch and will trust JP to air it out more instead of just letting him manage the game! I can see if he were missing a lot of open guys or was a 10 year vet making these dumb decisions. He has made such great strides in his accuracy and if by mid season he becomes more consistent and makes less mistakes then watch out!