My Neighbor (s)

Hawk

I'll start..

"The Grass Wars"

The neighbors on my right are the most anal people about their grass I have ever met. They cut their little patch of heaven every other day. Which I dont mind. It's when they still have the joneses to cut more. They come right down along my sidewalk and make one swipe along the front of my house, and then four swipes along the side of my house. Once they actually couldnt get enough and actually cut a four foot wide run in front of my flower bed. So now to piss them off I wont cut mine for 2 weeks. I also put two lengths of those white flower bed pickets, extending from my flower bed to the property line. But, she just goes right around them. Im tempted to throw some large screws on my lawn, so when she cuts my side again, the screws will machine gun into her boyfriends truck. Nah I probably wont. 0:):P

These are my mother's neighbors (in Cheektowaga) directly across the street. They used to be mine when I still lived at home. I call them Cliff and Mrs Claven because he works for the post office.

First, the house directly next to them belonged to the executrix of the estate that sold them the house (her parent's house). Cliff extends the garage towards the neighboring house and re-angles the roof so that the rainwater comes off and hits the neighbor's house. They take him to the town and he had to tear off the addition. He didn't even have a permit for it! He also claimed he had not done any renovations to it!

My brother was around 9-10 years old. He goes out to shoot bbs at a target in the back yard. He dropped the can of bbs on the driveway and I helped him pick them up. He goes and target shoots. In pulls a cop into our driveway. Cliff Claven had called the cops and said that my brother was pointing a gun at the neighbor's house!

They put the sump pump discharge right on the property line of the other neighbor (now it has to be connected to the sewer). The neighbor, tired of having his yard soaked by the neighbors sump, puts boards up right on the line to direct the water to stay on Cliffs property. Cliff takes him to Town court on harassment charges! Since Mrs. Claven got a job as a secretary in the town hall, the case had to go to another town. The judge there threw it out immediately.

They had a dog, but no kids. They have buried the dog in the back yard (which is illegal) with a tombstone. They have sealed their driveway with something that makes it look like a skating rink when it is wet and they shovel it several times a day when it is snowing. I was back visiting 3 weeks ago and she cut the grass every other day. They wash and wax the car in the driveway almost every week in the winter and wash the house windows weekly, even when it is snowing.

We did have a chuckle one winter. Just before they left for a while, they took out the garbage to the curb . Evidently one bag had ashes from the fireplace and they were not out. We watched the bag burn. Being at the curb and on snow, we did nothing. You should have seen the puzzled look on his face examining the burnt garbage bags on his return a few hours later.

Yeah, neighbors who take care of their property and landscape on a regular basis must be a real pain in the ass.  0:)

783630[/snapback]

dont be a moron

I have a similar neighbor, he likes to mow his bathroom sized lawn every chance he gets and he does one swipe of mine with his riding lawn mower. However, mine is the size of about 2 and half foot ball fields with several mid size slopes. I do it all with a pushmower......but I wait 2 weeks to mow as well.... :P

It's not so much an issue of whether the neighbor is doing the work for you --- it verges on squatter's rights. If you allow that, there's many people who won't hestiate to plant things there, or park their car there, or.... The issue is that it's your property, not theirs.

My uncle had a similar problem w/ neighbors mowing into his yard. One day while he was mowing and the neighbors were out in their yard, he veered off into their perfectly-cut, straight-line lawn, did a squiggly line across, did a loop and steered back and finished his own yard. What was so funny is he did it very nonchalantly. 'Course, he's a Vietnam vet on full mental disability, so not caring and being a little lot crazy helps insofar as potential repercutions.

You should've seen the look on the neighbors' faces. :P

My neighbor is a lipstick-and-makeup state trooper with a great posterior. She can do whatever she wants. 0:)

My neighbors are real pieces of work. Since their son got his drivers license about 5 years ago, he has had upwards of 25-30 tickets and I have had to call the cops at least 10 times because he likes to party with his idiot friends in the middle of the street at 2 am. Mom enables the boy and dad bails him out of all sorts of trouble.

I'd like to go into more detail but I do live in WNY and it is not like I hide my identity. Needless to say, the kid is a tool and he obviously inherited it from his parents.

I'll start..

"The Grass Wars"

The neighbors on my right are the most anal people about their grass I have ever met. They cut their little patch of heaven every other day. Which I dont mind. It's when they still have the joneses to cut more. They come right down along my sidewalk and make one swipe along the front of my house, and then four swipes along the side of my house. Once they actually couldnt get enough and actually cut a four foot wide run in front of my flower bed. So now to piss them off I wont cut mine for 2 weeks. I also put two lengths of those white flower bed pickets, extending from my flower bed to the property line. But, she just goes right around them. Im tempted to throw some large screws on my lawn, so when she cuts my side again, the screws will machine gun into her boyfriends truck. Nah I probably wont.  0:)  :)

783615[/snapback]

Have you tried a little thing called communication?

Yeah, neighbors who take care of their property and landscape on a regular basis must be a real pain in the ass.  :huh:

783630[/snapback]

Have you tried a little thing called communication?

783735[/snapback]

To Coach:

I keep my property up bub..But I prefer to keep my grass,,I repeat MY GRASS,, about an inch high. She cuts hers down to the roots. If you would have read my post...I was complaing about her cutting MY property..not hers.. :doh::doh:

To Keg:

My Irish wife went off on her, when she made the four foot cut in front of our flower bed. She still didnt get the hint. Besides why do I have to spell it out to my neighbor not to make a patchwork quilt out of my lawn,, ???? I would think that's a given. 0:):)

Neighbors across the street are a problem. They feed all the strays so they constantly have 10 or so cats hanging out. One bit my wife, so we called Animal Control to come get it, since it appeared to be hurt or sick. They (AC) told us to trap it and once we did, they'd come get it. Well, once we got it, and AC came, they were taking it out to their truck when the husband/father came home. Asked what they had, and they reply a cat, he looks and claims it as one of theirs. So I say, fine, I'll get you the doctor bill from when the cat bit my wife. Well, he changed his tune right then to it not really being theirs, but just a stray they feed. Somehow the conversation got around to how he owns rental property and a gun. Guns don't bother me, since I grew up around them, and I think it surprised him that I didn't look shock/scared.

Did I also mention he's Mormon? With multiple families scattered around the city? So it's Grand Central Station at their house, so they park on the street. Well, one time when I came home I left my work van on the street for a couple hours. When I came out to move it into my driveway, (it was on my side of the street to start) I discovered someone had thrown some eggs at it.

Another time, in mid-winter, I came home and there was too much snow to pull into my driveway, so I parked on their side of the street, which was the legal side that time of day. As I'm just bringing out my snowblower to do the driveway I see one of the kids drive up, and I could see from the look on his face that he was not happy I took "his space". Then he notices me, and his look went to "what can I do to his vehicle without him knowing it was me". I just went about finishing my driveway, and once it was done, moved my van in.

I swear one of these day's I'll park on the street, then go sit in my attic with a camera and watch to see what they might do.

My neighbors here are all great neighbors. We all help each other out, and the southern grass gets cut to one level "even". There';s no tall or short, so sometimes we do cut over into each other's yards, but its no biggie...

Now, my old neighbors at RIT... Those were some major @ssholes. I don't know if they qualify as neighbors or just college kids, but they played whiffle ball every single night till 4am, using our entire apartment as a backstop... My roommate called campus police on them which started a 2 year vendetta. Those guys were jerks.

My mother's next door neighbor had a big German Shepherd. Every time they took it out to sh-- they would walk him over right next to my mother's driveway, which is only 1 car wide.

Whenever you would get out of the car on the passenger side you would have to watch your step so that you didn't step in a pile as they never picked it up.

One day, I stepped in it. I went and got a shovel and proceeded to pick up all of the piles of dog crap and fling the shovel fulls on to their porch and roof. I still laugh my ass off whenever I think about it.

The neighbors never said anything and I never had another problem with them. 0:)

To Coach:

I keep my property up bub..But I prefer to keep my grass,,I repeat MY GRASS,, about an inch high. She cuts hers down to the roots. If you would have read my post...I was complaing about her cutting MY property..not hers.. :doh:  :doh:

To Keg:

My Irish wife went off on her, when she made the four foot cut in front of our flower bed. She still didnt get the hint. Besides why do I have to spell it out to my neighbor not to make a patchwork quilt out of my lawn,, ???? I would think that's a given. 0:)  :)

783759[/snapback]

I propose that you use my uncle's method.

And wait until they're doing something in the yard so they see you.

Sometimes you have to be blunt to get the message across.

The old saying was "Good fences make for good neighbors", or something close to that. 0:)

783899[/snapback]

You know, there's a reading of that poem (I think it was in that show "Ed" a few years back) that says Frost was trying to say how alienated we are from our neighbors, how we put up walls to keep other people out...

That reading has no merit to anyone who has ever built/repaired a stone wall with another person. I've done stonemasonry since grad. Defining the borders (literal and figurative) of our space for a few hours while working together is not a bad thing.

My neighbors are real pieces of work. Since their son got his drivers license about 5 years ago, he has had upwards of 25-30 tickets and I have had to call the cops at least 10 times because he likes to party with his idiot friends in the middle of the street at 2 am. Mom enables the boy and dad bails him out of all sorts of trouble.

My God you must live next door to me. The son is 21 and lives at home without any visible means of support. Besides a laundary list of tickets, the 'kid' is a felon. He was harrassing my wife until one day I caught him at home and old him I'd beat the sh-- out of him if he ever did it again. He is currently awaiting sentencing by the state attorney general because he was caught driving on a suspended licence. He was caught on a motorcycle for which he didnt even have a licence.

This reminded me of something we would do when I was growing up. My next door neighbors had a reputation for being the worst drivers in the town. Every car they ownerd over the years had very noticeable dents. I played hockey in our driveway all the time with my brother and some other neighbors. Anytime these people came driving down the street, "Look out, it's the (insert last name here)!" and we'd dive into the grass. They lived one house up the street from us, so they never actually drove past our driveway... but better safe than sorry.