MY POST GAME REPORT

sven233

Hey guys. I know some of you may be expecting my usual long, in depth analysis of this game today, but really, I only have a couple things to say.

1. The defense played GREAT. Good pass rush (7 sacks.....enough said)

2. GREAT GAMEPLAN! I know, a lot of people are probably going to wonder about whay the offense didn't put up any numbers.....why did Losman throw for under a hundred yards, why didn't we see more plays down the field, etc. The fact is, they were in control of this game from the start. There was NO reason to push the ball down the field when McGahee is ripping off 8-10 yards at a time. They ran the ball effectively and the completely SHUT DOWN THE STINKING FISH. It was the PERFECT gameplan and it was run the way it was designed.

3. The biggest play of the game was the Crowell INT. That play took it out of the Dolphins. A close runner-up would be the pass interference on Evans. The Bills finally took a shot down the field and it paid off. SPEED KILLS.

4. With all due respect to Vincent, WE ARE A BETTER DEFENSE WITH SIMPSON AND WHITNER BACK THERE. With TV going on IR, we upgraded our defense and I thing the coaching staff knew it. I know Spikes and some other Vets may not be happy for their buddy, but the fact is, the Bills are more athletic and MUCH faster back there now. We have one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

5. Perhaps the best thing the Bills did today is stick with their running game. McGahee was very good today and they showed they can run the ball good enough even though Miami STACKED the line of scrimmage a lot of the game.

Finally, I think it only gets better from here. SPIKES DID NOT PLAY TODAY AND WE COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN THE DOLPHINS. When he is healthy, our defense is going to be EVEN BETTER. Also, the Special Teams played excellent today. Moorman was perfect of his punts and Parrish (as I have said many times) is spectacular. There is no quicker player in the NFL. He changed field position today averaging over 14 yards per punt return. Look for that to continue. Also, I believe he was robbed on that penalty that called the TD back. Every team runs that play and you never see that call. So, I think he should have had that TD as well.

Remember what I said last week.........I said that this team was going to win their next 3 games.......1 down, 2 to go. This team can hang with everyone. I still say they have a great chance at the playoffs.

GREAT WIN! GO BILLS!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'll admit I was too hard on Juron last week but I still firmly believe going for it on 4th was a mkistake however, this week his team was prepared.

I thought JP played well even though his numbers were minimal to say the least. No major mistake (almost one, the throw too Royal could have been) but he is playing under control.

The O-line is playing well and get the lanes open for some running options but I know the offense will be miles behind the defense.

What is up with Ryan Denney? He was a monster early in the game and I began to notice double teams later in the game. All three DE, Schobel, Kelsay and Denney are playing well and the tackles are holding their own, but Kyle Williams looks like a steal in the 5th round.

Great effort overall and the coordinators have the team preapred to play! Keep this up because we'll be in most games with efforts like this.

4.  With all due respect to Vincent, WE ARE A BETTER DEFENSE WITH SIMPSON AND WHITNER BACK THERE.  With TV going on IR, we upgraded our defense and I thing the coaching staff knew it.  I know Spikes and some other Vets may not be happy for their buddy, but the fact is, the Bills are more athletic and MUCH faster back there now.  We have one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

776395[/snapback]

These guys are going to be good. Scary good.

Hey guys.  I know some of you may be expecting my usual long, in depth analysis of this game today, but really, I only have a couple things to say.

1.  GREAT WIN!  GO BILLS!

776395[/snapback]

I like reading your longer versions Sven. But I have to go to work this morning and have summarised your "couple things" for others with less time on their hands before the AM drive :lol:

2.  GREAT GAMEPLAN!  I know, a lot of people are probably going to wonder about whay the offense didn't put up any numbers.....why did Losman throw for under a hundred yards, why didn't we see more plays down the field, etc.  The fact is, they were in control of this game from the start.  There was NO reason to push the ball down the field when McGahee is ripping off 8-10 yards at a time.  They ran the ball effectively and the completely SHUT DOWN THE STINKING FISH.  It was the PERFECT gameplan and it was run the way it was designed.

776395[/snapback]

and

I thought JP played well even though his numbers were minimal to say the least.  No major mistake (almost one, the throw too Royal could have been) but he is playing under control.

776488[/snapback]

I think it is interesting to compare our gameplan for the first drive or two, and for the rest of the game. Early in the game, Losman made some terrible decisions, particularly noticeable when he tried forcing the ball into Evans in double-coverage and when he nearly fumbled the ball while being sacked.

I think after that point the coaches decided that they weren't going to let Losman lose the game for them, and decided to stick to running the ball, quick swing passes to WR's, and the occasional downfield rainbow to keep Losman from having to make reads and decisions....

JDG

and

I think it is interesting to compare our gameplan for the first drive or two, and for the rest of the game.  Early in the game, Losman made some terrible decisions, particularly noticeable when he tried forcing the ball into Evans in double-coverage and when he nearly fumbled the ball while being sacked. 

I think after that point the coaches decided that they weren't going to let Losman lose the game for them, and decided to stick to running the ball, quick swing passes to WR's, and the occasional downfield rainbow to keep Losman from having to make reads and decisions....

JDG

776769[/snapback]

I was working today and have yet to watch the game but did listen to it on the radio via sirius.

Based on the commentary by Kelso, JP was taking what they were giving him and further more kelso repeatedly pointed out how jp was going with a long snap count which was causing Miami to expose their coverage and blitz packages prior to the snap, something they picked up from film of the pittsburgh game......GREAT COACHING!!!!!!!!

Do you think a Hall of Fame coach who has spent 30 years in the NFL might know a little about the game and the type of coaching, players and people it takes to win? I know it's one game, but you already get the feeling that this team is well prepared and coached well and good things are happening.

Maybe after the season the national "experts" will apologize if the Bills end up having a good year. I doubt it.

Good job, Dan Dierdorf.  Make the mistake, then try and make the analysis of the play fit it.  Just never gets old.  :lol:

776923[/snapback]

If you want to start telling me how well JP Losman played today, then let's go....

Our first four plays consisted of one run, and three nearly disastrous passes.

After that it was eight straight runs, including on 3rd and 11 - but I suppose all that was part of "the script", right?

After that, almost all our pass plays, if not all our pass plays, were of the WR swing pass/screen/quick slant variety, or else a rainbow - nothing that would have required JP Losman to make sophisticated reads down the field and pick apart the defense. Just compare the way the Steelers had *Charlie Batch* attack the Dolphins secondary on Thursday night, vs. the way Jauron attacked the Dolphins today. I don't think that the difference is entirely accounted for by philosophical differences between Jauron/Fairchild and Cowher/Whisenhunt.

I think the coaches are as concerned about Losman's lack of development thus far as I am.

JDG

If you want to start telling me how well JP Losman played today, then let's go....

After that it was eight straight runs, including on 3rd and 11 - but I suppose all that was part of "the script", right?

After that, almost all our pass plays, if not all our pass plays, were of the WR swing pass/screen/quick slant variety, or else a rainbow - nothing that would have required JP Losman to make sophisticated reads down the field and pick apart the defense.   Just compare the way the Steelers had *Charlie Batch* attack the Dolphins secondary on Thursday night, vs. the way Jauron attacked the Dolphins today.   I don't think that the difference is entirely accounted for by philosophical differences between Jauron/Fairchild and Cowher/Whisenhunt.

I think the coaches are as concerned about Losman's lack of development thus far as I am.

JDG

776961[/snapback]

A win's a win.

JP didn't play good, but managed the game well.

He got first downs when we needed them, and had over a 90 QB rating.

He showed he could manage a game, something many thought he couldn't do, also the reason many rationalized Holcomb starting.

You are overly critical of JP, and it's seems like sour grapes to me.

He also barely had time to pass, and made some great reads and checkdowns.

Did you watch this game, or go by the play-by-play text again?

Lack of developement aside, look at the bright side JDG: On the two comeback routes (1st to Evans 2nd to Price) Holcombs sissy assed arm would have resulted in two TD returns by the Fins. We are going with the correct choice at QB at this time for sure.

JDG, the two early passes to Lee were BOTH thrown almost perfectly. The first one was a bullet that threaded the two defenders and hit Lee IN THE HANDS. The second was slightly overthrown and off Lee's outstretched fingertips. You call those passes 'nearly disastrous', I call them ballsy and almost on the money for huge gains.

JP got the ball to Willis, didn't turn it over, and put up the score when we were inside the redzone. Today, he did exactly what we needed him to do.

Hey guys.  I know some of you may be expecting my usual long, in depth analysis of this game today, but really, I only have a couple things to say.

1.  The defense played GREAT.  Good pass rush (7 sacks.....enough said)

2.  GREAT GAMEPLAN!  I know, a lot of people are probably going to wonder about whay the offense didn't put up any numbers.....why did Losman throw for under a hundred yards, why didn't we see more plays down the field, etc.  The fact is, they were in control of this game from the start.  There was NO reason to push the ball down the field when McGahee is ripping off 8-10 yards at a time.  They ran the ball effectively and the completely SHUT DOWN THE STINKING FISH.  It was the PERFECT gameplan and it was run the way it was designed.

3.  The biggest play of the game was the Crowell INT.  That play took it out of the Dolphins.  A close runner-up would be the pass interference on Evans.  The Bills finally took a shot down the field and it paid off.  SPEED KILLS.

4.  With all due respect to Vincent, WE ARE A BETTER DEFENSE WITH SIMPSON AND WHITNER BACK THERE.  With TV going on IR, we upgraded our defense and I thing the coaching staff knew it.  I know Spikes and some other Vets may not be happy for their buddy, but the fact is, the Bills are more athletic and MUCH faster back there now.  We have one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

5.  Perhaps the best thing the Bills did today is stick with their running game.  McGahee was very good today and they showed they can run the ball good enough even though Miami STACKED the line of scrimmage a lot of the game. 

Finally, I think it only gets better from here.  SPIKES DID NOT PLAY TODAY AND WE COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN THE DOLPHINS.  When he is healthy, our defense is going to be EVEN BETTER.  Also, the Special Teams played excellent today.  Moorman was perfect of his punts and Parrish (as I have said many times) is spectacular.  There is no quicker player in the NFL.  He changed field position today averaging over 14 yards per punt return.  Look for that to continue.  Also, I believe he was robbed on that penalty that called the TD back.  Every team runs that play and you never see that call.  So, I think he should have had that TD as well. 

Remember what I said last week.........I said that this team was going to win their next 3 games.......1 down, 2 to go.  This team can hang with everyone.  I still say they have a great chance at the playoffs.

GREAT WIN!  GO BILLS!

776395[/snapback]

I thought the big thing this game was that as team the mistakes were kept to a minimum. Miami was the team today making all of the big mistakes. We kept up with them. I thought the pressure on Culpepper was good today. I would like to see that on a regular basis. Great games from Ryan Denney and Donte Whitner today. The defense played well. The offense did what it had to do and really focused a lot on ball control and not turning the ball over. Wills had some nice runs today. I also thought that Gandy held his own on Jason Taylor for the most part. Losman was decent and that is alright as long as he doesn't turn the ball over.

JDG, the two early passes to Lee were BOTH thrown almost perfectly. The first one was a bullet that threaded the two defenders and hit Lee IN THE HANDS. The second was slightly overthrown and off Lee's outstretched fingertips. You call those passes 'nearly disastrous', I call them ballsy and almost on the money for huge gains.

JP got the ball to Willis, didn't turn it over, and put up the score when we were inside the redzone. Today, he did exactly what we needed him to do.

776990[/snapback]

Exactly. Those early shots down the field keep a Defense honest.

Exactly. Those early shots down the field keep a Defense honest.

777059[/snapback]

If Lee could have hauled in that early pass between the two fins, he'd have been off to the races.....he was pretty much right in stride, but I think one of the defenders may have blocked his view of the ball just enough to mess up Lee's coordination. But there was no way in hell their d-backs would have caught him.....Losman will hit that pass next time....

After that, almost all our pass plays, if not all our pass plays, were of the WR swing pass/screen/quick slant variety, or else a rainbow - nothing that would have required JP Losman to make sophisticated reads down the field and pick apart the defense.   Just compare the way the Steelers had *Charlie Batch* attack the Dolphins secondary on Thursday night, vs. the way Jauron attacked the Dolphins today.   I don't think that the difference is entirely accounted for by philosophical differences between Jauron/Fairchild and Cowher/Whisenhunt.

JDG

776961[/snapback]

None of which changes the fact that he didn't make a bad decision on the "fumble" play. You don't like the guy. We get that. That still doesn't mean someone else completely blowing an assignment isn't the fault of the QB - especially when the rusher comes straight up the middle and is followed pretty closely by a second blown assignment. Congrats, though. Dierdorf did exactly the same thing. Difference is, he clammed up when the replay was going on because he realized he had his foot securely in his gullet. Thanks for the analysis.

I saw the coaches use virtually the same gamplan the Steelers did. Probably because they thought it would work, rather than your desperate need to be right about Losman. Guess what? They were right.

I continue to be surprised that people just won't let this kid learn. Third season, second coaching staff, etc. We can rehash it all day. How did veteran Culpepper look in Mularkey's offense? Yeah, that's what I thought.

JDG, the two early passes to Lee were BOTH thrown almost perfectly.

776990[/snapback]

I wasn't criticizing the way he threw them, I was criticizing the *decision* to throw them. In both cases, Lee Evans looked well-covered or even double-covered to me, which creates the opportunity for interceptions.

Now, I'm open to being proven wrong on this by someone who has the luxury of looking at the tape of this game, but I don't recall very many passes after that point where Losman had to make the kind of decision about whether or not to throw it to a double-covered Lee Evans on an out pattern. The TD play is an obvious exception, but other than that it seemed like almost all, if not all, of our pass plays were swing-passes, WR-screens, quick slants, or "rainbows" where the QB had to engage in little or no decision making.

Today's game was well-managed, but it seems to me that it was the Coaches who did the managing - by taking the managerial decisions out of Losman's hands.

JDG

None of which changes the fact that he didn't make a bad decision on the "fumble" play. 

Call me crazy, but it looked to me on both the live action and on the replay, that Losman was trying to "make a play" to fight out of the sack, and that he seriously considered trying to chuck the ball to someone as he was going down - the sort of thing that could easily have resulted in a fumble.

I saw the coaches use virtually the same gamplan the Steelers did.  Probably because they thought it would work, rather than your desperate need to be right about Losman.  Guess what?  They were right.

Interesting. The Steelers attempted 25 passes against Miami, and had 7 Charlie Batch runs. That adds up to @32 pass calls vs. @31 run calls, or about 50-50. The Bills had 18 pass attempts and 2 Losman runs (just to be consistent) for @20 called passes vs. @ 30 called runs, or about 40% - 60%.

Charlie Batch completed 15 of 25 passes for 209 yards, or 13.9 per completion. JP Losman completed 11 of 18 passes for 83 yards, or 7.5 per completion. In my observations of both games, the Steelers' gameplan was for *Charlie Batch* to exploit the Dolphins' secondary through mid-range downfield passes. Batch was consistently finding open WR's in the middle distances. The Bills, however, after the first couple series relied almost exclusively on swing passes and WR screens, rarely letting Losman through mid-range passes, with the occasionaly downfield rainbow. After those first series, there were almost no mid-range passes.

I'd be interested to hear your arguments as to why you see the Steelers and Bills as having run "virtually the same" offensive gameplan - as I just don't see it. In my assessment, the coaches concluded that JP Losman was no Charlie Batch, and tried to manage the game to make sure that Daunte Culpepper, and not JP Losman, was the QB that made the mistakes that lost the game for his team.

JDG

Edited by JDG