Rebuilding year?

Billsguy

Marv and Dick and many of the assistants have been saying it all year - the Bills are rebuilding this year.

They still have to sell tickets though so they convince the fans with doubletalk how the Bills will be "competitive".

"I never did want to look at it that way," Spikes said. "But you have to be a realist about every situation that happens. If you write it down on paper or even say it out loud, it spells rebuilding. As much as you don't want it to be that way, ultimately that's the way that it is."

I am not saying rebuilding is bad. It is certainly necessary, but the fans have to lower expectations to face the reality.

What pisses me off if the rebuilding starts every couple years after the most recent coaching and management failures.

This time will be different? We'll see.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marv and Dick and many of the assistants have been saying it all year - the Bills are rebuilding this year.

They still have to sell tickets though so they convince the fans with doubletalk how the Bills will be "competitive".

"I never did want to look at it that way," Spikes said. "But you have to be a realist about every situation that happens. If you write it down on paper or even say it out loud, it spells rebuilding. As much as you don't want it to be that way, ultimately that's the way that it is."

I am not saying rebuilding is bad. It is certainly necessary, but the fans have to lower expectations to face the reality.

What pisses me off if the rebuilding starts every couple years after the most recent coaching and management failures.

This time will be different? We'll see.

773180[/snapback]

DIE MIAMI!

Rebuilding... yes.  Rebuilding with a chance to win the division.  I think definitely.  Let's face it the Pats are well... maybe in their own rebuilding phase.  The Fish may not be as good as everyone thought.  The Jets... unknown.

773184[/snapback]

Very true...Donahoe made us believe that rebuilding doomed you to 4-12. It doesn't have to be that way if you are plugging in parts that can actually play

But they're rebuilding with players with potential as opposed to retooling with castoff turds.

F YOU DOLPHINS

773183[/snapback]

I think the point you make, as hilariously as you put it, is very true.

If your house gets half destroyed by a hurricane you rebuild it with new materials and a strong plan, not second hand crap you found laying on the roadside that no one wants.

Rebuilding Shmebuilding.

Will the Bills ever not be rebuilding?

We've been rebuilding for 6 years. Everytime this teams gets close to being good, it's time to rebuild again. I point to dumping Flutie for RJ. Running off Blue Dredsloe for a rookie. Huh?

The Bills team is good enough this year to strap it on go for the playoffs at all costs. If that means playing a vet over a promising rookie, do it. If it means keeping a proven veteran elgible so he can help in a stretch run over keeping a young guy, do it. A team owes to their players and fans to try to get to the playoffs EVERY YEAR.

In the era of free agency, it's not possible to build a team of young kids in to a cohesive well oiled machine in 3 or 4 years time. At the end of evey year you got a half dozen proven vets moving to other teams and new guys coming in. You watch. If JP is as good as they say, in a few years he'll be a FA and a gone goslin.

I for one am dog tired of rebuilding. Play the best players we got. Let's go for it all ...

P E A C E

REBUILDING? Like we won the superbowl or League or Division or made a wildcard spot last year? Face it, we weren't going anywhere with most of the guys we had and Vincent (the guy at issue right now) wasn't getting better with age. Judging from the way Whitner and Simpson played they are ready to play NOW better than Vincent and I hardly consider our defense any worse without Vincent. What the hell does Spikes think...that we were contenders with a team that couldn't shoot straight last season? We aren't RE-BUILDING anything. We are BUILDING a playoff contender.

In today's NFL rebuilding can turn into contending on a dime.

With so many injuries and small divisions, it's really all about where you finish among 3 other teams, each of whom will have weaknesses. Last week's NE game showed me that we're not far away at all from the playoffs. Next year that should be the expectation. This year, it's a goal.

773180[/snapback]

We should be able to be competetive since Jets and Miami are both rebuilding and the Patriots seem to be falling apart somewhat

RunTheDamnBall said: "Last week's NE game showed me that we're not far away at all from the playoffs. Next year that should be the expectation. This year, it's a goal."

Yeah, well, that's what we said at the end of the '04 season. We won something like 8 out of the last 10 to finish 9-7. If we could have won the last game against the hated Stealers, we would have been in the playoffs. You'd think the next year we'd have playoffs as an expectation. But no, we ran off Blue Dredsloe and Travis Henry and went 5-11. So, we'll see ...

RunTheDamnBall said: "Last week's NE game showed me that we're not far away at all from the playoffs. Next year that should be the expectation. This year, it's a goal."

Yeah, well, that's what we said at the end of the '04 season.  We won something like 8 out of the last 10 to finish 9-7.  If we could have won the last game against the hated Stealers, we would have been in the playoffs.  You'd think the next year we'd have playoffs as an expectation.  But no, we ran off Blue Dredsloe and Travis Henry and went 5-11.  So, we'll see ...

773315[/snapback]

The difference is we beat cream puffs at the end of 04. We are challenging the toast of the division at the start of '06. Good things are ahead.