Insult to injury regarding the 4th and 1 play

report that aired immediately following our game on Sunday. They showed highlights of our game and when they showed us going for the 4th and 1 that we "missed" Shannon Sharp said "look at that great extra effort by McGahee to stretch out and get the first down. Buffalo went on to score but lost the game by a safety in the 4th quarter." They showed it as a great positive play by McGahee. I decided to watch the play over and over in slow motion, which I hadn't done before, paying extra attention to where the ball was when his knee hit the ground.

I know this is beating a dead horse but he clearly had the first. I heard people talk about Fowler getting blown off of the ball which made McGahee fall short but Fowler brought his man to the ground with him. It was the linebacker who caught Willis from behind who made the tackle, but without a doubt, he had that first down.

It was the linebacker who caught Willis from behind who made the tackle, but without a doubt, he had that first down.

771892[/snapback]

It was so clear that he had the first down that even after a long commercial break on the change of possession, the Bills staff upstairs dissecting the replay decided it was not even worth a challenge??? Hmmmm....

Even our own coaching staff has joined the anti-Bills conspiracy!

In my opinion he did.  When his knee hit the ground that ball was a yard further than where it was spotted by the officials.

771920[/snapback]

Well I guess that's why it's a subjective call then because the replay (with still-frame) that the network aired showed otherwise. To my eyes anyway.

It is simply splitting the baby as far as the call, but I thought he made it BUT there was not enough conclusive evidence to reverse the call.

Its a question of where the ball was when his knee hit the ground. Though I thought he landed such that the ball was beyond where TV said was a first down, it essentially is judgment call as to where the plane of the ball was at that point.

Given that the Bills still had a ten point lead at the time with a ton of time left on the clock it seems reasonable for the Bills to choose to conseve the TO they would have lost if the challenge went badly.

Ultimately, the D needs to hold them once or the O needs to put up at least 3 on the board. Neither event happened with the game in our hands. We lost and lets hoped we learned the bitter lesson which is do well always.

He didn't make it, I watched it several times.

What I don't understand is what Fowler did on that play, either he was held to the ground or he purposely went at Wilfork's legs, what sucked there, is that by doing so he cleared the way for #51 (who dat?) who grabbed McGahee's ankles preventing him to keep his legs moving.

What I don't understand is what Fowler did on that play, either he was held to the ground or he purposely went at Wilfork's legs, what sucked there, is that by doing so he cleared the way for #51 (who dat?) who grabbed McGahee's ankles preventing him to keep his legs moving.

771940[/snapback]

You don't know that wasn't what was coached and someone else didn't blow that assignment.

771940[/snapback]

Yeah but he came in from the backfield. He was 10 yards off of the line of scrimmage and only got in because Willis got stuck behind his blockers. I would have preferred that Fowler remain standing but #51 was not his responsibility. I don't think he's to blame. For what it's worth I watched that play a bunch of times as well and I think Willis got the first. That being said, it is easy to see why Juaron did not challenge the call because we are still disagreeing on the spot several days later. It probably would not have been over-turned.

771940[/snapback]

After watching it frame by frame, it appears to me that Fowler got knocked on his ass 2 yards into the backfield, taking Wilfork with him to the ground. If Fowler could have at least just held his ground, that would have sealed up the lane 51 took to bring down Willis.

771940[/snapback]

memo to Jauron ! On a game hinging play like 4th and 1 ! It's worth the challange just in case you get lucky !

Come on guys, in Gillette Stadium the Bills will never get that spot, ever.

This is the stadium where guys catch passes out of bounds and short of the 1st down marker and still get the first down, but only if you're the home team.

Willis would have to have been clearly over the first down marker by at least a half a yard to get the first down.

RTB