Genny Cream

nick in* england

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago I was reading a beer book that had reviews of a bunch of beers, mostly microbrews and imports.  I was suprised to see that Genny Cream was in there was considered pretty good (3 out of 5 stars) by the experts.

764111[/snapback]

You have to remember that with books like those, they rate the beer to style, not an overall impression compared to beers from other styles. Genny Cream is considered prototypical for the style.

I remember years ago when I was hanging with the Orlando Bills Backers, we had a kickass setup at a bar that went out of its way to accomodate the 250+ fans who showed up every week. They catered to our every need, including trashing their wing recipe and using recipes we recommended.

We ultimately got them to put Genny Cream on tap. Everyone was excited.

Twelve games later, the original keg was barely touched.

I actually have passable taste, but not when it comes to beer... :) 

The youthful crowd I grew up with were on the bottom looking up at the fancy folk drinking premiums, who looked down at we rabble and took pains to be sure we knew it.

So I won't turn my back on the swill brews that sustained me in lean times. :)  :P

764058[/snapback]

Natural Light...The nectar of the gods.

(and a college student's best friend @ $8.99 a case, no tax or deposit) :P

Also, they've changed the "blue laws" and you can now purchase beer after 8:00AM on Sunday in NYS rather than waiting until noon.  I saw a sign in Tops!

http://www.nacsonline.com/NACS/News/Daily_...6/nd0801063.htm

764159[/snapback]

I liked the blue laws. Most everybody got a day of rest. Everybody had enough sense to stock up on food or booze beforehand.

Many years ago I was reading a beer book that had reviews of a bunch of beers, mostly microbrews and imports.  I was suprised to see that Genny Cream was in there was considered pretty good (3 out of 5 stars) by the experts.

764111[/snapback]

I remember waaaay back in the day, Genny Cream wasn't bad. I moved away and hadn't had in years until I made it back to Hamburg for my family's 4th of July picnic, had a GC and almost barfed on the spot.

My cousin told me Genny got bought out by a larger company and the quality went to hell in a hand basket. Too bad....Well you still got wings, beef on 'wick and fried baloney sandwiches.

You have to remember that with books like those, they rate the beer to style, not an overall impression compared to beers from other styles. Genny Cream is considered prototypical for the style.

764119[/snapback]

And they treat them like WINES. They don't rate them on how a half a case affects your lower intestines.

The Genesee Creamers Rugby Football Club had a nice scam back in the day -- complimentary kegs of GCA with their Dead Ants Tourney registration fee. Sunday morning games were not easy on the tourists.

There's a bar here in Philly that specializes in all of the low-price(if you can't say anything nice...) beers listed here. I went there Saturday and had myself a fine Genesse Cream Ale, a Natty Light, a Keystone Dry(I still like those) and a slew of PBR. All of them are the finest beers in the land! Nick you have no idea how much better the beer is here than in England. When I was in London I hated all the beer there so much I started drinking wine.

<Sarcasm Off>

Btw, check out the Crocodile Bar on Chippewa.

I'm planning on LOTS of Chippewa St action - of course I won't give him Genny Cream.  I made the mistake of trying it myself last time. YUK

I hear that a load of bars/clubs on Chippewa do $2 beers.. true?

764000[/snapback]

I'm not sure how many bars on the Chip-Strip actually serve Genny Cream, but there are more than a few that have $2 Molson and/or Labatt during 'Happy Hour'. It's no problem finding them - they'll have huge banners advertising the fact.

Come 7 bells or so, you can head to the Tudor Lounge (just a couple blocks away on Franklin St.) for more cheap swill, or over to the Lafayette Tap Room (also walking distance) for some great blues and beer.

Since Chippewa doesn't really start hopping until 11 or so, at some point you'll probably want to grab some grub to sop up the suds. When the witching hour arrives, you'll be 'socially lubricated' and SoHo, Level, and most other 'joints' will be 'hitting full stride'.