Ridiculous Comment !!

I know we are not going to get any respect from the sports media until we win but my local newspaper continues to diss the Bills. You might remember I posted a message the day after the draft where they graded us at an "F". The clipping still sits in my desk where I hope to Ssend it back to the sports writer who was responsible for the grade.

In today's edition they published a chart of NFL quarterback rankings - giving our duo of Losman and Holcomb 30th of 32. This I don't have a problem with as we have done nothing in the regular season to warrant any better - however the comment that follows is nothing short of ridiculous......."Bills may rue day they chased off Mike Mularkey"

It's a hilarious comment in multiple ways.  The Bills did everything they could to keep Mularkey (God knows why).  How exactly did they "chase him off?"

762839[/snapback]

How exactly did they do everything to keep him? By not giving him an extension? By firing the guy that hired him? By keeping him a lame duck? By forcing him to get rid of most of his assistants and then unable to hire new ones?

How exactly did they do everything to keep him? By not giving him an extension? By firing the guy that hired him? By keeping him a lame duck? By forcing him to get rid of most of his assistants and then unable to hire new ones?

762848[/snapback]

Perhaps I over-stated that. However, the guy was coming off a horrendous season where he lost control of his team. He wasn't in position to bargain for anything. The fact that they wanted to keep him and had multiple meetings with him to try and convince him to stay after they found out he wanted to leave is doing "everything to keep him" in my book. They certainly didn’t chase him off (like they should have).

The only way we rue the day is if Jauron turns out to be a bad HC which is quite doubtful as he has gotten the NFL Coach of the year once and this will mark the 3rd time he was hired as an HC counting his interim gig last year.

I think MM actually brings a lot to the table in Miami. A consistent area of unique great production on his part has been the ability to revive failed QBs under his reign as OC and HC. Once with Kordell might be luck and twice with maddox might be coincidence, but he and Clements got far better production out of Bledsoe in 04 than his horrendous year under Kevin Killdrive and GW in 03.

By limiting Bledsoe's ability to audible, diversifying the gameplan, by using his limited ability to run as best they could and by using his good ability to run fakes, they reduced his sack total and revived his game.

Though I think the Fins will fall apart for multiple other reasons, i suspect and expect MM to be quite good stepping down from HC to OC.

Nevertheless since I completely exoect Jauron to be a competent HC and think that Fairchild also brings a lot to the table having learned at Martz's knee, knowing the Bills by being RB coach here and having done this before as an interim oC when Martz took ill and folks moved up a notch for St. L as far as coaching responsibility I doubt we rue the day MM left.

Perhaps I over-stated that.  However, the guy was coming off a horrendous season where he lost control of his team.  He wasn't in position to bargain for anything.  The fact that they wanted to keep him and had multiple meetings with him to try and convince him to stay after they found out he wanted to leave is doing "everything to keep him" in my book.  They certainly didn’t chase him off (like they should have).

762853[/snapback]

I don't think they tried to convince him to stay at all, but who knows. I did know they fired Jerry Gray weeks before he resigned and all the while told the press they wanted to keep him, part of a let the guy leave with dignity concept and help him in future jobs. And I think they wanted Mularkey to quit so they wouldn't have to pay him.

I know we are not going to get any respect from the sports media until we win but my local newspaper continues to diss the Bills. You might remember I posted a message the day after the draft where they graded us at an "F". The clipping still sits in my desk where I hope to Ssend it back to the sports writer who was responsible for the grade.

In today's edition they published a chart of NFL quarterback rankings - giving our duo of Losman and Holcomb 30th of 32. This I don't have a problem with as we have done nothing in the regular season to warrant any better - however the comment that follows is nothing short of ridiculous......."Bills may rue day they chased off Mike Mularkey"

762797[/snapback]

I'm surprise, you expect anything different from the incompetent writers of any Florida paper. The Orlando Sentinel, West Palm Beach Post, and the Miami Herald are all garbage...and I'm being kind.

There must be something to Mularkey that I'm not seeing. I can't believe ANYONE hired him even as an offensive co-ordinator. I can't believe he wasn't the FIRST one fired at the end of the season. I can't believe WE hired him in the first place! Maybe he has great talent. He just never showed it in Buffalo.

762797[/snapback]

You still read the Slantinel? You poor ba$tard. I gave up on the paper after about a two month subscription. I kept thinking "its gotta get better!" I still wish I'd have had the sense to save thier declaration of Gore as the winner. Oh well. Where do you watch the games?

There must be something to Mularkey that I'm not seeing.  I can't believe ANYONE hired him even as an offensive co-ordinator.  I can't believe he wasn't the FIRST one fired at the end of the season.  I can't believe WE hired him in the first place! Maybe he has great talent.  He just never showed it in Buffalo.

762909[/snapback]

On the contrary actually. I'm not sure where his Os that he ran for Pittsbursgh finished ranked in the NFL, but generally, I think that folks felt they were an issue which had to be planned for when you faced Pitts. Clearly, he led the charge in designig and implementing Os which saw the revival of the careers of failed QBs and its makes perfect sense that he will try to pull off the same magic with Culpepper.

I was happy to see him leave here because we needed to clean house and start from a fresh slate. When things screw up you fire the boss because contractually there are too many ramifications for firing players and you cannot replace them as easily.

In addition, the buck stops with the HC on the field so its appropriate that he pay the price for faiilure.

However, i do not see how you fire anyone first other than TD. Fool me once and shame on you but fool me twice and shame on me. It as clear that TD blew it big time with his first HC hire and when the wheels fell off again on this team it was either TD's fault for hiring the wrong HC or TD's fault for undermining his HC if MM had the right stuff.

I think he did a good job for Buffalo in 2004. The team improved from 5-10 to 9-7 and got better in the only stat that really counts. I was impressed not only with his plan for making the team a winner which suceeded even though he was not capable of making them playoff worthy. Even more impressive he stuck with his plan during the dark days of a 1-5 start and his team pulled off a great win streak (even if one wants to insist they were weak opponents the Bills beat them like a drum rather than sqeeming by them) which made for a winning season but fell short of the ultimate goal of making the playoffs.

No one would mistake him for Bill Parcells or even Mike Martz but I can easily see why he was hired.

You still read the Slantinel? You poor ba$tard. I gave up on the paper after about a two month subscription. I kept thinking "its gotta get better!" I still wish I'd have had the sense to save thier declaration of Gore as the winner. Oh well. Where do you watch the games?

762916[/snapback]

I watched some games with the local Bill's Backers last year at Mony's - this year they will be at Piper's Bar & Grill at Conway and Curry Ford. I plan on being there Sunday to watch us beat the Pat's.